PDA

View Full Version : Garage Walls

Pages : [1] 2

gohandbz8
08-01-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm looking to put up garage walls and was wondering what kind of material are you guys using? I was thinking of using drywalls but are there better alternatives out there? Did you guys also put insulation behind the walls and what kind did you us?

ltoman
08-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Sorry, I can't help, but I love your awesome blue Z!
~LT~

chrisbothwell
08-01-2007, 05:08 PM
My garage has drywall, but my shop has nothing (just studs). I have been contemplating what to do with the shop walls. I was going to default to drywall, but now I am going to watch your string and see what everyone else is doing. Nice Z.

gohandbz8
08-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Sorry, I can't help, but I love your awesome blue Z!
~LT~

Thanks for the complement. I wouldn't mind trading up to a vette though. Love the way they look.

xebola
09-01-2007, 06:48 PM
I would use unfaced pink fiberglass and Dense Armour Plus. That way there is nothing for mold to eat. Also there is some stuff you can do if sound control is an issue.

CalgaryDetail
09-01-2007, 07:10 PM
im doing my garage right now. We are planning on using concrete board for the bottom and drywal for the top. The reason isbecase conrete board is whats used in bathrooms. Its better agasinst water and moisture.. i figure it cant hurt.. that way if i wash my car in the garage im ok

king air pilot
09-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Gohand..

If I was in your position I would look for a material that is similiar to what you see are most carwash walls. I forgot the name of it and looked thru all my catalogs and cannot find it. It is a white 1/8 inch thick material that is easily cut and comes in 4x8 sheets.

It has alost a plastic feel on the outside with a soft wrinkle finish thus it repels water fits on convetinal stud sizes. Sorry I dont recall the name but I know it was in a farm supply catalog. In fact it was used in milking rooms because it was easily cleaned. You might also try the local quarter car wash to see if they could help. Waterproof white and it is sparkiling clean.

Cheers
Mike

gary26
09-02-2007, 10:25 PM
The white material in 4 x 8 sheets is referred to as FRP panel. It's used alot in commercial bathrooms, great stuff cleans easy no need to paint it either. It's sold alot in lumber yards.

Nica
09-03-2007, 12:14 AM
When I first started working in my garage I was stuck as to what walls to use too, unfortunetly I didn't realise the FRP panels would have been a weicked way to finish it but I went with all concrete dry wall. I do most of my washing inside my garage and didn't want to be bothered with moisture issues so went with concrete dry wall, next garage I build it will have FRP it's simply the best.

Hope this heps.

xebola
09-03-2007, 12:21 PM
The white material in 4 x 8 sheets is referred to as FRP panel. It's used alot in commercial bathrooms, great stuff cleans easy no need to paint it either. It's sold alot in lumber yards.

That sounds really good. How do you finish the corners and edges?

king air pilot
09-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Go hand,

I know they make white vinyl pieces to slide into the panels where they join. I would assume they make some type of corners also if not you could use aluminum corners. Gary26 seems to have some technical knowledge on this perhaps he will chime in. You will not be disappointed with this stuff it will give you the ultimate walls bright, and waterproof. You will be the envy of all of us. Take pics.

Cheers
Mike

gary26
09-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Sorry for the late response but I've been busy this 4 day weekend doing my first detail on my own car. The FRP panel also has matching corner beads and finishing caps. The supplier you purchase it from will have everything including the glue to install the panel with. You can PM me if you have any other questions, I work in construction so I know about the product. The last time I bought some it was available in 3 colors White, Almond, and Gray.

gohandbz8
09-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Sorry for the late response but I've been busy this 4 day weekend doing my first detail on my own car. The FRP panel also has matching corner beads and finishing caps. The supplier you purchase it from will have everything including the glue to install the panel with. You can PM me if you have any other questions, I work in construction so I know about the product. The last time I bought some it was available in 3 colors White, Almond, and Gray.

Gary,

Where can I get this product from. Is there a supplier you know of in the Chicagoland area? Thanks.

gary26
09-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Usually lumber yards are the best source. Any place that carrys sheetrock.
Maybe even a Homedepot or Lowe's. Sorry I live in California and don't know much about Chicago store's.

xebola
09-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Gotta love the internet! There is always someone who knows the best way to do something. What do you guys reccomend for insulation?