PDA

View Full Version : Do I or Don't I?

asallwey
07-14-2014, 04:00 AM
Ok, one last bit of advice needed.

Background, I'm retired (energetic and in good health), and have no intention of Detailing for money.

We have several cars (1 new, 1 almost new, 1 ~10 years old) and a couple of motorcycles. During the summer I wash/hand wax the bikes monthly, the cars get washed monthly but waxed only once or twice. Just a wash/wax can take me a couple of hours, I'm not interested in spending even more hours detailing the cars (I do fuss more with the bikes.). Yes I know you guys get the finish to really pop, but I'm happy with a good an shinny, water beading finish from Mothers carnauba wax. I might be tempted to attack the fine scratches on the 10 yo, but a minivan has a lot of surface area! (A 10 yo Viper or Corvette sure!)

So,
Will spending ~$200 for a polisher, pads, etc. (looking at GG 6" with 5" & 3" pads) speed the process of waxing?
Improve the quality of the wax job?
Be worth the investment?

The money is significant, but not a deal-breaker. I know, a full detailing setup is waaay more, but this is a periodic hobbyist talking.

Thanks!

asallwey
07-14-2014, 04:39 AM
Just found and read the Man vs. Machine posting by Mike. Sort of addressed/answered my questions and I'm leaning to buy.

But I'm still interested in comments or opinions!

Just02896
07-14-2014, 05:47 AM
A DA polisher will definitely speed up wax spreading time as well as decrease operator fatigue, especially on more than one vehicle. Having a machine will also allow you to increase gloss and remove defects much faster and with much less effort than using compounds and polishes by hand.

FUNX650
07-14-2014, 06:53 AM
So,
Will spending ~$200 for a polisher, pads, etc. (looking at GG 6" with 5" & 3" pads) speed the process of waxing?
Improve the quality of the wax job?
Be worth the investment?

IMHO:
If you are just going to use a polisher to "machine wax"...
Get the Griot's Garage 3" and some RUPES 4" white finishing pads. Less of an initial monetary outlay, as well.

Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher, 3 Inch Polisher, 3 inch Dual Action Polisher, 3" buffer (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-orbital-polisher.html)
Rupes 100 mm (4 inch) White Finishing Foam Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/ru100mm4inwh.html)

Bob

mbpress01
07-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Definitely buy a polisher. I am same as you - total hobbyist and love it. I went overboard and bought the whole rupes system, plus tons of other stuff all from AG.

Rupes LHR 15ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher Deluxe Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-15es-polisher-kit.html)

Any good DA will serve your needs but the rupes is easy and smooth. See a lot of threads on the flex vs the rupes. However, be prepared to be patient as all these take skill and time to get a great result. Doing horizontal panels is straight forward but the verticals with a DA will be tiresome (i got a 3 inch rupes also to do the curved panels).

Desertnate
07-14-2014, 07:39 AM
If you are just going to do your own vehicles a few times a year, you don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars a year on a DA that's designed for a pro. The Harbor Freight DA with a Lake Country 5" backing plate and some quality pads (not the HF ones) will come in around $100 and work just fine for you.

bugeye
07-14-2014, 08:37 AM
I am also retired. About 6 years ago I purchased a Dewalt DA and was frustrated with the wax spreader performance. Then I found Autogeek and realized the 8" pads were inappropriate for the DA. Now i use 3", 4" and 5.5" foam pads. I use on our daily driver cars with many products from Autogeek. The quality of products and advice has greatly improved the look of our cars and satisfaction with this hobby. It is a slippery slope to better products. Great advice and support here at AG. You will find many uses for the DA beyond polishing paint. Jump in.

asallwey
07-14-2014, 09:25 AM
I didn't think about Harbor Freight, it's on sale now for $67.99. I had decided to go with an LC 5" backing plate and pads and possibly also the 3". Don't really like HF for 'serious' tools, but worth thinking about.

Desertnate
07-14-2014, 10:36 AM
I didn't think about Harbor Freight, it's on sale now for $67.99. I had decided to go with an LC 5" backing plate and pads and possibly also the 3". Don't really like HF for 'serious' tools, but worth thinking about.

Also check you favorite car magazine, local paper, or their web site. They have 15~20% off coupons all over the place. It make the price a steal.

I think that "sale" price is questionable because I've never seen it listed for more...ever...

Quickstrike32
07-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Google HF coupon code and you can get 25% off through 9/20 bringing it to $58 shipped. I'm about to order one...

Tacket
07-14-2014, 11:53 AM
I bought the harbor freight DA for wax/sealant application. Fell in love with the ease of a DA from the first use. Always thought I would take my cars in to a pro for polishing, but have been doing that myself now too.