PDA

View Full Version : Which Menzerna compares to Poorboys SSR2.5 / Optimum?

m4gician
08-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Since Menzerna is all the rage, I'd like to get involved and get a bottle to try. However I know investing in one and getting it shipped to Canada is going to be expensive so I'd rather just try to find one good menzerna polish that is good for most swirl removal and polishing jobs in general.

My arsenal consists now of:

Poorboys SSR2.5/SSR1
Klasse All in One
Klasse SG

S100 carnauba

the 2.5 works nicely, though it dusts using a orange LC pad. Is there a menzerna that is just as or more effective than 2.5? And good enough that my SSR1 will cleanup what the Menzerna does? I was thinking Nano polish, because I've seen the comparison where it takes out the 2000grit swirls with a white pad.

Anyways, please let me know which one is the best to have on most detailing jobs and I'd be glad to know. :cheers:

budman3
08-01-2007, 02:03 PM
I assume that you are using a PC to detail with... and that being said, IMO there isn't any better polishes for it than SSR2.5 and SSR1. I usuallyo nly use polishing pads with SSR2.5 and get no dusting. Be sure that you aren't priming the pad with QD and are using the proper amount. Menzerna is designed to work best with a rotary buffer. Using it via a UDM or PC will work, but it'll either take a while for the compound to break down (less heat) or it'll be difficult to remove. I haven't used a lot of the Menzerna yet (IP, FP, 106, 85, powergloss) and SSR2.5 is inbetween Powergloss and Intensive polish... The 106 is a very nice polish but my lack of experience with it makes it hard to tell how abrasive it is...

m4gician
08-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I assume that you are using a PC to detail with... and that being said, IMO there isn't any better polishes for it than SSR2.5 and SSR1. I usuallyo nly use polishing pads with SSR2.5 and get no dusting. Be sure that you aren't priming the pad with QD and are using the proper amount. Menzerna is designed to work best with a rotary buffer. Using it via a UDM or PC will work, but it'll either take a while for the compound to break down (less heat) or it'll be difficult to remove. I haven't used a lot of the Menzerna yet (IP, FP, 106, 85, powergloss) and SSR2.5 is inbetween Powergloss and Intensive polish... The 106 is a very nice polish but my lack of experience with it makes it hard to tell how abrasive it is...

really? Well that's actually good to hear, because I thought having a PC and 2.5 as my swirl remover made me an inadequate detailer. Because I saw it as having a UDM was a must with menzerna for a good job. However if my combo works, then I guess I'll stick with it.

Any other combos you would recommend then outside menzerna that work with the PC and LC pad combo? I mean using SSR2.5/SSR1 is good, but is there a better (by far) combo?

And as for not getting dust with the SSR2.5, are you saying i use the LC white pad? And on what speed on my PC?

budman3
08-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Don't get me wrong and this is my personal opinion, but SSR2.5 and SSR1 combo is almost impossible to beat with the PC or UDM.

Here is a little write up that I did for SSR2.5:
-Always use a polishing pad with SSR2.5 (it'll remove a ton of swirls, if not do another pass or bump up to another product)
-DO NOT PRIME WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE PRODUCT ITSELF (very crucial)
-Apply a thin bead of product around the pad for each section of the car
-Spread it at whatever speed you want, work it in at Speed 6.... don't be afraid of speed 6.
-Work it in until very clear (may take a few minutes)
-If the product begins to build up on the pad, brush off with stiff brush or wipe off excess polish with a terry towel
-Wipe off
-Admire no swirls http://www.danaseforums.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif
-Go to finer polish (if needed- with the polishing pad you most likely don't NEED to follow up but it wouldn't hurt).
-Do not use a new pad that hasn't been washed- Pads come from the factory with small foam particles left in the pad that look like product dust.

I follow the above to a T and have had fantastic, swirl and dust free results. :). But if you are working outside or very hot conditions, that'll dry out the polish faster.

If you find something that works, stick with it :). If you do get the chance (or the urge) Menzerna's Professional line would be a good choice as would Pinnacle XMTs. But if you are satisfied with the results you are getting now, then that is all that matters.

HAN
08-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Don't get me wrong and this is my personal opinion, but SSR2.5 and SSR1 combo is almost impossible to beat with the PC or UDM.

:applause:Agree 100% with you on this. My friends come over and look at all my gear and see "poorboys" and think I'm not using good chemicals or that its cheap stuff and don't want it used on their car. Poorboys has some of the best-performing and easiest to use products, IMHO.

Pete

ScottB
08-01-2007, 07:48 PM
IP and FP is a group that easily challenges the SSR twins. And in my case 106FF replaces them both as highly pad dependant and better final gloss outcome.

budman3
08-01-2007, 08:05 PM
While the IP and FP are nice I find the SSRs much more user friendly with PC usage. SSRs are easy to work in and wipe off effortlessly. I find that IP needs heat of a rotary to break down enough for it to be removed easily. 106ff is a different story though, much easier to use than the IP, IMO. I'm just beginning to use the 106ff I got last month... so far it looks like a keeper.

m4gician
08-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys,

just to be absolutely clear, a polishing pad with lake country is the WHITE one right? If so. Do I need to follow the 2.5 (I know you said I didn't) with ssr1 applied with another white pad?

Z06-Goose
08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
My experience with Menzerna has been with the PO85RD3.00 and the 3.02 as far as paint correction goes. I can tell you that just using the LC Orange Pad, all of my finishes are LSP ready by the time I'm done with it. I do have the PO85RD which you can follow up with, but I haven't had the need to do that yet
Same goes with the PO106FF, one step application, and I'm done

I would say get the SIP which I understand compares to the 3.02 or is the equivalent to it. It dusts a bit towards the end of the breakdown process into a very fine dust, and that's when you stop and wipe. I also find that when priming the pads with a QD, will reduce dusting a great deal.
The working time when doing a small section at a time is enough to accomplish most of the task. I usually do 2'x2' square area at most, and the hood I split into four quadrants.

ScottB
08-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Lake Country Pads ---

yellow / orange --- highly abrasive, cutting pads
white ---- lighter grade , polishing pad
grey/blue --- finishing pad, jeweling/geming surface

Adde
08-02-2007, 11:29 AM
the 106FF whats the recommended pad (Edge) for it? Swirls-light scratches.

P1et
08-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm going to have to agree here, I'm very pleased with SSR2.5 and SSR1. I've done some nasty nasty vehicles in there wasn't anything that the SSR twins couldn't handle. It might dust a bit, but then again, I heard that Menzerna dusts so much it'll make you think you're at a cocaine party!

D
08-02-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm going to have to agree here, I'm very pleased with SSR2.5 and SSR1. I've done some nasty nasty vehicles in there wasn't anything that the SSR twins couldn't handle. It might dust a bit, but then again, I heard that Menzerna dusts so much it'll make you think you're at a cocaine party!

SIP and 106FF dust FAR less then the SSR's IMO.

m4gician
08-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks a lot for the help guys.