PDA

View Full Version : is there a special process to polish white paint?

sito
07-13-2014, 05:27 PM
is there a special process to polish white paint?

I have a white Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD. How do I make it shiny like autoshow demo cars?

Hazcat
07-13-2014, 05:35 PM
White is very forgiving and at the same time hard to get a super shine on it. A coating such as Pinnacle's Black Label or any other coating can make anything shine.

sito
07-13-2014, 05:47 PM
White is very forgiving and at the same time hard to get a super shine on it. A coating such as Pinnacle's Black Label or any other coating can make anything shine.

ok thanks for your reply

Ryan509
07-13-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm assuming you have brake dust around your fenders (most white vehicles i've seen do) Make sure you get that off.

swanicyouth
07-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Any paint needs to be decontaminated 100% and cleaned. If it's somewhat neglected or a daily driver; I'd start with IronX then clay. But first, you may want to figure out if it's single stage or clear coated - as a lot of white cars are single stage paint.

There is any easy way to tell, just grab a dark colored towel and a dark colored polish - and polish a bit with the towel. If the towel turns white - it's single stage paint.

If it's clear coat - it's no different than any other color car - because your working on the clear coat - not the white color coat. If it's single stage, I'll let someone else chime in because I'm no expert there. But, it's basically the same procedure: wash, decontamination, test spot, compound (if needed), polish, LSP. If the paint is single stage and "dry" or heavily oxidized - you may want to look at Mike's articles on Meg's #7 and single stage paint.

If your not doing "correction" (defect removal) with at least a medium abrasive polish - after you decontaminate - I would use a good paint cleaner type product like a Poor Boys Pro Polish to prep the paint for your LSP.

HenkeL
07-14-2014, 01:25 AM
I agree, to get show car finish you have to clean, correct and polish. What you decide to use as a sealant or wax is of minor importance for the shine. It can add some gloss and even fill out small scratches but it cannot alone do the trick. Use the same procedures as used on other colors here at AG. On white I think light is important to really see the imperfections in your paint to be able to remove them.

addysdaddy
07-14-2014, 08:24 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with white cars. Here's a recent review I did on a white 911S.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/80085-synergy-can-deliver.html

sito
07-14-2014, 09:10 AM
what's the point of using carnuba wax if it only last 2-3weeks?

trekkeruss
07-14-2014, 09:24 AM
On white I think light is important to really see the imperfections in your paint to be able to remove them.

Tell me about it! My car isn't white, but it's close to it. I was polishing the hood of my Omni Blue Pearl Honda Element, and thought the fine polish I was using was working. I looked from many different angles and thought it looked great. But after I did the entire hood, I looked again, and saw that I needed a more aggressive polish. It made me almost wish my car was darker so I could see the imperfections easier.

trekkeruss
07-14-2014, 09:29 AM
what's the point of using carnuba wax if it only last 2-3weeks?

What wax is that?

I personally would not use a wax that didn't have any durability. But some people like to wax, so applying it often is not a negative trait. Also, some people like the look of some waxes, regardless of its durability, and use wax as a topper over a more durable LSP. That way the vehicle is protected regardless, and the wax topper is not only a sacrificial layer, but (supposedly) gives added depth/warmth/glow/shine.

sito
07-14-2014, 10:39 AM
What wax is that?

I personally would not use a wax that didn't have any durability. But some people like to wax, so applying it often is not a negative trait. Also, some people like the look of some waxes, regardless of its durability, and use wax as a topper over a more durable LSP. That way the vehicle is protected regardless, and the wax topper is not only a sacrificial layer, but (supposedly) gives added depth/warmth/glow/shine.

it is exhausting work to apply wax & polish work. I can't imagine doing it regularly every 2 weeks.

KB in MD
07-14-2014, 12:20 PM
I use Meguiars White wax on my '11 Pearl White Hyundai Elantra. It seems to make the pearl stand out a little more. It has more cleaners that light colored paints need. Plus it's easy on and easy off :props:

richy
07-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Duragloss 501 is the cat's pajamas on white!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Pureshine
07-14-2014, 11:50 PM
I Used Menz power lock on this Mustang.
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o580/kicku9/Shelby%20Cobra%20GT%20500/DSC_0191_zps10035d86.jpg (http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/kicku9/media/Shelby%20Cobra%20GT%20500/DSC_0191_zps10035d86.jpg.html)

Matt-erhorn
07-15-2014, 12:50 AM
I love using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax on my white C250