PDA

View Full Version : what's a show wax?

sito
07-13-2014, 01:53 PM
what's a show wax?

Is show wax the same as carnuba wax?

Is there any differrence between different show carnuba wax?

BobbyG
07-13-2014, 02:12 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

A show wax in my mind is any product that makes the cars finish look wet, almost as if the final layer of paint just had been applied.

Many who show their cars do use a carnauba based wax or a glaze such as Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze. Both products work but the decision really lies in the eye of the cars owner....

allenk4
07-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Usually thought of an LSP that sacrifices longevity & durability for short-term appearance.

In some instances it is actually a Glaze that offers a wet look without offering much protection. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a common example.

Mike Phillips
07-14-2014, 01:56 PM
what's a show wax?

Probably a lot of opinions on this topic but what I do is try to establish terms for this industry via repeated mention in multiple media touch points. For example,

This forum
My how-to books
TV shows
YouTube videos
Facebook posts
Detailing Classes

Here's the term I use for a show wax, (your words)

Finishing Wax

Or if you're using a sealant then Finishing Sealant.

A finishing wax or finishing sealant is a product that is pure protection and by this I mean it offers zero cleaning and/or abrading ability.

This means these types of product an ONLY be used on paint that is in Excellent to Show Car Quality condition as I lay out in my book.

Page 37 - Paint Condition Categories (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/51281-page-37-paint-condition-categories.html)

1: Show Car Quality
Paint in this condition is as perfect as it can be in any lighting condition. The only defects you should see are fingerprints, smudges or light dust on what otherwise appears to be a flawless show car finish.

The finish on a car in this category can hold up to close scrutiny under bright lights by the most discerning eyes.

The paint in this category has been put through a series of machine polishing procedures to maximize D.O.I, gloss, clarity, depth, reflection, richness of color, shine and even slickness.

If needed, the paint has been sanded, cut and buffed to remove orange peel and any other surface texture to create a 100% flat surface to maximize D.O.I.

RIDS have been removed to the extent that it is safe to do so without compromising the top coat. Paint is meticulously cared for on an as needed basis to ensure that it is always display ready.

2: Excellent Condition
The paint in this category looks factory new or better than factory new.

The paint looks like it has been professionally machine polished and sealed with a wax, paint sealant or coating and is regularly maintained.

When viewed in bright sunlight, the paint looks excellent, that is there are few or no visible swirls or scratches or so few that there's not enough of them to require machine polishing.

The paint has few or no swirls, scratches or any other visible paint defects outside of RIDS.

The opposite of a Finishing Wax is a Cleaner/Wax

If the paint you're working on does not fit the above descriptions then chances are really good you should be using a cleaner/wax or a cleaner/sealant.

That is, products that contain chemical cleaner or abrasives and usually both. These types of products will,

Clean
Polish
Protect

and do the above in one step. All a finishing wax will do is protect.

If you really want to drill down deep, read my article on this topic here,

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html)
Subtitle: How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project