PDA

View Full Version : Bad Advice for "Egged" Car Brake Cleaner, Sandpaper & Rotary

allenk4
07-13-2014, 11:28 AM
How to Repair Car Paint Damage from an Egg | DoItYourself.com (http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-repair-car-paint-damage-from-an-egg#.U8KyWLTn9qY)

Why exactly does an egg do so much damage.

Specifically, the structural damage to the paint caused by the impact.

Hazcat
07-13-2014, 12:20 PM
That's horrible advice for taking egg off your paint. Brake fluid on your paint? Must be a painter giving that advice.

allenk4
07-13-2014, 02:26 PM
I especially like this suggestion:

"Allow the paint to dry and then cover with clear coat. Clear nail polish acrylic can be an inexpensive substitute."

Rsurfer
07-13-2014, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=allenk4;1131185]

It's the enzymes in the egg as well as the acid in bird $hit.

allenk4
07-13-2014, 02:39 PM
I read that in the attached article, but the rest of the advice it contained was so bad, I thought the enzyme info might be tainted as well.

Don't you hate getting "tainted" !

allenk4
07-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Egg White

The egg white (also referred to as the albumen) is made up of 15 percent of proteins. Its main purpose is to protect the yolk while providing nutrients to the embryo. Because of its protective composition, egg whites are used for several purposes, including waterproof glue, so it's easy to understand how this part of the egg can dry and then stick to the surface of car paint. If it is not dealt with quickly, it can become extremely difficult to remove from the surface of the car without wet sanding and repainting the damaged area.

Egg Yolk

The egg yolk is suspended inside the egg by the egg white. The yolk contains fatty acids and is responsible for the fat, cholesterol and most of the calories found in an egg. Egg yolk was once used to make paint because of its natural ability to harden and stick to almost any surface. The chemical composition of the egg yolk will eat through clear coat on the surface of car paint--in addition to staining the paint--if not removed from the surface of the paint immediately.

Egg Shell

Egg shells break relatively easily, and when thrown at high velocity, the shells will shatter into sharp shards. The shards of the shells can cause superficial scratches to the surface of the protective clear coat on a car and, in some cases, penetrate the clear coat, scratching the paint.

hernandez.art13
07-13-2014, 02:53 PM
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ5_QxwFjNI[/video]

Once I ran to you (I ran)
Now I'll run from you
This tainted love you've given
I give you all a boy could give you
Take my tears and that's not nearly all
Oh...tainted love
Tainted love

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2314/Soft_cell.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/78442)

:laughing:

DBAILEY
07-19-2014, 04:08 AM
[QUOTE=allenk4;1131185]

It's the enzymes in the egg as well as the acid in bird .

I don't think the egg comes out of the same hole in the bird as the bird $hit! And when would a bird lay an egg on your car? At high velocity too.

Autoglym did a recent study that about bird poop and found that the acidity of the bird poop had little to do with the amount of etching that takes place, The etching happens when the bird poop lands on a sun heated panel. The sudden sun blocking effect the bird poop causes the once very hot paint underneath to cool and it ends up molding its self to the shape of the bird poop. The grainier the bird poop the more textured the etching will look. That's why sometime bird poop won't do anything at all and sometimes it will etch in no time at all. If it hands on the car at night in cool temps, probably not much would happen. In the middle of the day on full sun exposed panel, it will happen very quickly.

Always best to remove it as quickly as possible and hope you're lucky in the future that the next time a bird relieves himself on your hood that the conditions are in you favor.

allenk4
07-19-2014, 05:37 PM
[quote=Rsurfer;1131272]

I don't think the egg comes out of the same hole in the bird as the bird ! And when would a bird lay an egg on your car? At high velocity too.

Autoglym did a recent study that about bird poop and found that the acidity of the bird poop had little to do with the amount of etching that takes place, The etching happens when the bird poop lands on a sun heated panel. The sudden sun blocking effect the bird poop causes the once very hot paint underneath to cool and it ends up molding its self to the shape of the bird poop. The grainier the bird poop the more textured the etching will look. That's why sometime bird poop won't do anything at all and sometimes it will etch in no time at all. If it hands on the car at night in cool temps, probably not much would happen. In the middle of the day on full sun exposed panel, it will happen very quickly.

Always best to remove it as quickly as possible and hope you're lucky in the future that the next time a bird relieves himself on your hood that the conditions are in you favor.

How sure are you Big Boy

Interesting info from AutoGlym

Here is some additional enlightening information on Chicken Sh**

"Cloaca

The large intestine terminates in the front part of the cloaca. The cloaca is a tubular cavity opening to the exterior of the body and is common to the digestive and urogenital tract. "

If you were wondering what the "White Dot" is...it's still Chicken Sh**, but...

"Waste (faeces)

The remainder of the material consists of waste and undigested food and are mixed with the urine in the cloaca and eliminated from the body as faeces. The appearance of the faeces varies considerably, but typically is a rounded, brown to grey mass topped with a cap of white uric acid from the kidneys."

Digestive system < Body Systems < Physiology | Poultry Hub | Poultry Research, Commercial & Scientific Poultry Information (http://www.poultryhub.org/physiology/body-systems/digestive-system/)

DBAILEY
07-20-2014, 12:01 PM
I did know that the urine and feces were mixed together. Birds take in very little water and the concentrated urine expelled with the feces is a way for them to conserve water. So by urogential tract does that mean the egg passes through the same tract? That's interesting.

But that does not have much to do with why an egg causes so much damage. I'd like to here that explained and I like your explination. Maybe a good topic for the guys at Myth Busters with an utlra high speed camera.

You can find a link to the Autoglym report on DW forum.

I guess it explains why sometimes the textured look of the bird poop etching can end up raised above the baseline level of the surrounding paint. When you wet sand a mark sometimes you'll notice high points that get sanded before you reach the base level of the paint.

I always assumed it was the chemical makeup of the bird poop. Seem logical. I wonder if it contributes to any softening of the clear to make it moldable.

allenk4
07-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Maybe Bird Poop based technology will eventually produce a truly "self-healing" clear coat

I guess it explains why sometimes the textured look of the bird poop etching can end up raised above the baseline level of the surrounding paint. When you wet sand a mark sometimes you'll notice high points that get sanded before you reach the base level of the paint.

"I always assumed it was the chemical makeup of the bird poop. Seem logical. I wonder if it contributes to any softening of the clear to make it moldable."