PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Detailer... need some advice

mematthews12
07-13-2014, 10:24 AM
I have a 2007 Mustang GT in BLACK. After this car, I swear, I will never purchase another black vehicle, but that's another story!

The car had swirl marks and holograms, spider webs and scratches from a previous "professional" detailing gone wrong.
I want to fix the paint myself, and recently bought a Porter Cable 7424XP... watched the educational DVD that came with it (several times!)... washed and clay-barred the car... and proceeded to start on the hood (as practice) with the CCS Orange Light Cutting foam pad with Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2.

After I did about 6-8 section passes, I switched to the CCS White Polishing Pad with Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze. Same thing, except not as many section passes, and it looked OK. I parked my car in the sun to inspect the work and noticed that I have removed many of the scratches and spider webs, but seem to have created new holograms and swirl marks!

Maybe I pushed down too hard on the machine? Maybe I need a more abrasive pad? Different swirl remover?

Any insights you can offer would be appreciated. I have dreams of returning this car to its glory days of black paint so perfect it looks wet. Please help me out! (or at least tell me if my expectations are unrealistic)

cleanmycorolla
07-13-2014, 10:27 AM
sounds like you need to follow up with a fine polish, after the heavy sit one. You did swirl remover 2 form xmt, why didn't you get number 1 to finish it out. The glaze won't correct only hide the fine marring....

Agressive polish -----> light polish thats what to do

goldenlight
07-13-2014, 10:41 AM
When removing the polish make sure you are not applying to much pressure. It should effortlessly remove.

I did something similar in my early years of detailing by applying too much wax. Long story short it made it extremely difficult to remove causing holograms.

Ryan509
07-13-2014, 11:30 AM
by the looks of it you missed a step. If i remember correctly when using an abrasive (such as a swirl remover) it creates smaller scratches which then have to be covered up by a finishing polish then a wax

Swirl remover
Finishing polish Or as the other guy said.. XMT swirl remover #1
Sealant or wax

Now of course this can vary but i think that would be the general rule?

Correct me if i'm wrong guys

Also i'm assuming you are using a 5" backing plate?

mematthews12
07-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Thank you for the replies... you guys are quick! :xyxthumbs:

I think you're right in that I did miss a step and it seems like following up #2 with #1 is the way to go, with routine waxing after that.

Do the pad combinations seem OK to you? An orange pad with XMT #2 and the white pad with XMT #1?

Ryan509
07-13-2014, 02:46 PM
now that i am reading more on xmt series. i've came across this

Apply XMT Fine Swirl Remover with a white polishing pad on your dual action polisher. Pour a quarter-size amount of polish onto the pad and set the polisher at a maximum speed of 5000 OPM. Work the polish in until it starts to dry or disappear. Turn the polisher off the buff the paint with a Cobra microfiber towel. XMT Fine Swirl Remover has no fillers so you can see the real results of your work immediately. Follow up with your favorite Pinnacle wax or with Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze.

That is for #2. Clearly you did as the instructions said? I forgot to ask, what speed were you on and were you moving the DA to fast? Don't take my 100% word on this but if i remember correctly you are supposed to just let the machine glide over using very little to know force (mainly enough to hold it down)

Keep in mind always start with the least agressive product first.

When it comes to the pad combination i'd say it looked fine

Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/buffing-pad-chart-lc.htm)

Thats a link incase you didn't know for what is what.

But for basics i'd say go:

Orange- Swirl Remover (xmt #2)
White- Finishing Polish (XMT#1)
Gray-Sealant or wax (which ever wax/sealant you choose)