PDA

View Full Version : How to remove RestorFx? is it a Sealant or Coating?

mallic
07-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Hi Guys,

I bought a car recently and previous owner told me that he put a coating or a sealant named "RestorFx" to avoid polishing. I want to remove this product, I contacted the RestorFx and they told me the only way to remove this product is to wet sand entire car with 1500 or 2000 grit sand paper as they have no product to remove their own product:mad:

Guys, suggest me how to get rid of this sealant or coating without wet sanding? car color is black and consider one thing that i live in Asia and have no direct access to products you guys are using BUT luckily my friend is visiting me on 24th from USA so he can bring any product you guys suggest from USA...appreciate ur help

swanicyouth
07-13-2014, 08:41 AM
I've never used RestorFX, but did a little research on it a while ago just out of curiosity. Honestly, this stuff looks like a different animal. It's some type of color coating that self levels and seems to restore extremely neglected finishes pretty well.

It's a coating that is designed to be a permanent glaze type repair for swirls and scratches done via a wipe on process. And I mean BAD defects.

Why do you want to remove it?

This is a hand wipe on product that is permanent. For severely neglected paint the results look amazing. You wipe it on. There is no correction or buffing.

Here is an example:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/13/sy7egesy.jpg

I'd do a test spot and just see if it's possible to buff or correct it (assuming it needs correction). If the finish looks good - just wax/seal over it.

However, I've never seen it in person, so I'm wondering how it looks???

swanicyouth
07-13-2014, 09:11 AM
If anyone doubts how amazing this stuff is...check this out:

http://youtu.be/946-h5dDeJY

mallic
07-13-2014, 05:01 PM
I've never used RestorFX, but did a little research on it a while ago just out of curiosity. Honestly, this stuff looks like a different animal. It's some type of color coating that self levels and seems to restore extremely neglected finishes pretty well.

It's a coating that is designed to be a permanent glaze type repair for swirls and scratches done via a wipe on process. And I mean BAD defects.

Why do you want to remove it?

This is a hand wipe on product that is permanent. For severely neglected paint the results look amazing. You wipe it on. There is no correction or buffing.

Here is an example:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/13/sy7egesy.jpg

I'd do a test spot and just see if it's possible to buff or correct it (assuming it needs correction). If the finish looks good - just wax/seal over it.

However, I've never seen it in person, so I'm wondering how it looks???

I want to remove it becuz on hood and 2 panels it seems like it gone away.

I couldn't understand why it is different from similarly available wipe on coatings from Opticoat etc etc....any solution/product to it remove while avoiding wet sanding?

mallic
07-13-2014, 05:02 PM
where is Mike? waiting for his expert opinion.

swanicyouth
07-13-2014, 05:57 PM

He's likely at home enjoying his family. It is Sunday, ya know? If it's coming off that easy (1 year exposed to elements) - why not try and compound it off with a MF or foamed wool pad?

cleanmycorolla
07-13-2014, 07:20 PM

Why? Stephen has given you some pretty good resources.....and it's Sunday, Mike is home....