PDA

View Full Version : for those who use a foam cannon/gun...

Pages : [1] 2 3

VISITOR
07-13-2014, 02:30 AM
for those who use a foam cannon/gun..

which do you do first...

a.) foam down the car when it's dirty

OR

b.) foam after you've pre-rinsed with water

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-13-2014, 03:03 AM
I do it when it's dry and dirty. This way the foam clings on longer and doesn't run off as fast. Then you can pressure wash off the last bit of foam and dirt and proceed with your 2BM routine.

silverfox
07-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Foam when dry and dirty, then rinse. Think about it....

Hazcat
07-13-2014, 05:48 AM
Foam dirty and dry otherwise it just slides off the wet surface.

haris300
07-13-2014, 06:12 AM
I foam the whole vehicle dirty, rinse after letting it sit for a bit, then foam each panel individually before making contact with my wash mitt when using a foam gun.

If I'm using my foam cannon, I foam the whole car, rinse, then foam the whole thing again and wash with my mitt.

Kamakaz1961
07-13-2014, 09:35 AM
I guess I am in the real minority on this. I rinse 1st, then foam gun, 2-bucket grit guard wash and then rinse.

IMO, anyone that uses a foam gun/cannon has a SUPERIOR technique in washing any vehicle than the people that don't regardless of pre-rinse/no pre-rinse.

A real dirty car needs the foam. If not so dirty other techniques we all know should suffice

EVOlved
07-13-2014, 10:11 AM
I foam the whole vehicle dirty, rinse after letting it sit for a bit, then foam each panel individually before making contact with my wash mitt when using a foam gun.

If I'm using my foam cannon, I foam the whole car, rinse, then foam the whole thing again and wash with my mitt.

:iagree: except I actually foam with the cannon one side at a time and rinse to avoid spots etc..

Paul A.
07-13-2014, 10:17 AM
I'll join the minority with ya, kamakaz. I, too, rinse first then foam in usually 4 sections then rinse each section again before moving on to the next section.

Kamakaz1961
07-13-2014, 10:23 AM
I'll join the minority with ya, kamakaz. I, too, rinse first then foam in usually 4 sections then rinse each section again before moving on to the next section.

WOO HOO!!!!! Anyone else would like to Join the Dark Side??

If Darth Vader (Puckman) likes it and (Me) Boba Phet likes it then why not join us?? If not I will have Darth Vader do the death squeeze on ya.....Y'ALL Have been warned!!!!!.....lol

Im the MAN

Shortspark
07-13-2014, 10:25 AM
I've done it both ways and it really makes no difference if I rinse first or foam first. I always use CG's Citrus Clear. It probably makes no difference because my car is a garage queen and I never take it out when it rains or is any way messy, hence, it seldom gets really dirty. I could get by with waterless washes 75% of the time and rinseless the other 25%. I almost never need a two bucket let alone a foam job. I just like to make suds and see lots of it on the car. The more suds the cleaner the car, if not in fact, at least in my mind's eye. Foaming is totally unnecessary 99% of the time but I think it is kind of neat.

JHL88
07-13-2014, 10:30 AM
WOO HOO!!!!! Anyone else would like to Join the Dark Side??

If Darth Vader (Puckman) likes it and (Me) Boba Phet likes it then why not join us?? If not I will have Darth Vader do the death squeeze on ya.....Y'ALL Have been warned!!!!!.....lol

Im the MAN

I actually rinse then foam as well. :xyxthumbs:

Paul A.
07-13-2014, 10:42 AM
"Kamakaz...you are my son!".

Paul A.
07-13-2014, 10:47 AM
In all seriousness, i am interested in the foam when dry/dirty method however i just personally like to knock of the worst and heaviest stuff with a good rinse first, then foam and i let it sit just a tad before i take my wash mitt to it. I do understand a lot of the foam runs off the vehicle because it is wet from the first rinse down but i just feel better with the lubricity of the soapy foam maybe lifting or at least releasing any dirt that's left.

hernandez.art13
07-13-2014, 11:08 AM
This has made me wonder the effectiveness of foam and of course have thought of a simple but different method to test out. Maybe will try it today.

Here it is : (forgot where I got this from, but saved it)

"om the keyboard of David Ghodoussi, when asked to describe ONR VS soap. good information to know and share with your customers.

Soap is a blend of surfactants that are designed to emulsify (dissolve)
oils into water. There is nothing in soap to help with dirt removal.
Foam is a by product of soap and it is caused by entrapment of air in
soap and water. People perceive foam to create lubricity and correlate
it to concentration and cleaning ability of soap. In fact, manufacturers
add foamers to increase foam to capitalize on these misconceptions.

No Rinse is based on reactive polymers that have the ability to bond to surfaces as well as dirt or oily particles. These polymers have much greater lubricity than soap and form a film around the particles as well as paint to protect from marring. The concentration of these polymers is very high which is why only 1 oz. per wash is needed. In fact, when people use 3-4 oz., they complain about the excess lubricity and streaking! If anyone washes half their car with no rinse and the other half with soap, over time, they will see marring on the soap side only!That is why many add no rinse to their soap bucket before washing which
works well. However, because of the nature of these reactive polymers,in concentrated form, they react with soap and foaming agents to form a gel (you can try this by mixing soap concentrate with no rinse). That is why we can not add foaming agents to no rinse!

The Water softening ability of ONR comes from bonding and removing minerals from water which takes place by the polymers in No Rinse in the same way as it bonds to dirt or other surfaces. The polymers remove minerals from water by bonding and trapping them similar to how they remove dirt particles and drop them down to the bottom of solution. There is nothing in soap that has that ability hence dirt or contaminants float in the solution. The reactivity of the polymers come from having both negatively charged and positively charged groups in the polymer which
gives it a zwitterionic character. It can therefore bond with any particle whether they are anionic or cationic in nature.

With the new no rinse wash and wax, we have further increased the
lubricity, gloss, and protection. There is no product out there that can
match the performance of these products."

hernandez.art13
07-13-2014, 11:14 AM
So soap (foam) encapsulates oils and ONR encapsulates dirt?