PDA

View Full Version : When to use a paint cleanser?

DM1506
08-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Need some help on when to use a paint cleanser....my car has been clayed, sealed and waxed recently (3 weeks ago). The question is, when I feel like it's time to rewax (about one month later), do I use a cleanser to remove old wax and sealant, (and if so, what product(s) is best ) or just apply new wax on top of the old, knowing that the sealant is still good? The car has been washed and dried properly each week and swirl marks are not a problem. I would be concerned only with corrosion attaching to the surface that is not removed by weekly washings.
What is the norm?
Thanks....

A1monky
08-01-2007, 08:59 AM
U have some options. You can use a cleanser (pinn, or PB) To remove all old wax and sealant. I personaly like this method beause I know my sealant and wax will stick to the clean surface. U can also just use a wax over your old sealant. This is ok, but it is not as good as sealing and waxing a clean surface. The corrosion you speak of i one of the reasons you should use a cleanser before you seal, and wax.

gary26
08-01-2007, 09:22 AM
If you used a good quality sealer and wax it should last for months. Proper washing with 2 bucket method and grit guards should even make your car look great for a while. After washing you can use toppers like Pinnacle's Crystal Mist or another detailer to even enhance you current wax and sealer.

Jimmie
08-01-2007, 10:15 AM
If you used a good quality sealer and wax it should last for months. Proper washing with 2 bucket method and grit guards should even make your car look great for a while. After washing you can use toppers like Pinnacle's Crystal Mist or another detailer to even enhance you current wax and sealer.

:iagree: with Gary. As long as you are not using a cleaner/wax you can also layer your wax over an existing coat (after a good wash). Every few months strip it off with your cleanser and start over.

ScottB
08-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I use a paint cleanser when polishing is not necessary or I want to start with a new product and car was recently prepped properly.

Reddwarf
08-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Is Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer considered a paint cleanser? What about AIO?

ScottB
08-02-2007, 06:42 AM
AIO's -- All in Ones also offer some protection, so not a true paint cleanser only. Klasse AIO is a chemical based cleaner with some acrylic protection.

WPP -- If memory serves, this is a final polish with some slight abrasives so not a true paint cleanser also.

Pinnacle and P21S make the best ones I have used to date, they perform better than Zymols and Swissols (now Swisswax) offerings. I usually stick to these two.

trhland
08-02-2007, 07:22 AM
i hardly ever use a wax that has cleaners in it do to my paint is always clean and free of any oxidation . there for i just use a straight wax. if anything ill use a mild clay before wax if needed.