PDA

View Full Version : The summer of "project OTC"

BTLew81
07-12-2014, 01:06 PM
I have a lot of mail order products. So, this summer I wanted to try out a bunch of OTC products and hopefully find some good stuff that I can get easily. Here are my findings so far:

Meg's UPW - good stuff. Easy to apply and remove, looks very nice, and from past experience it can rival 845 I'm terms of durability.

Meg's UQW - always a favorite. Looks good, easy to use, nice on trim.

Meg's Gold Class Spray Wax - surprising. Looks great on darker colors. Easy to use and pretty slick.

Mothers back to black rinseless tire cleaner - very nice. Cleans well and the ease of use is great.

Auto zone green MF wash mitt - great for rinseless washes. Cheap.

Griots MF towels - pricey but advance auto coupons make them ok in terms of price. Plush and well made.

Viking MF towels - bought some plush drying towels. Almost cheap. Work well, soft.

Meg's UQD - always a favorite. Super slick.

Griots all in one sealant - fills and corrects decently. Fairly slick. Seems pretty durable as well. Might try topping it.

Meg's water magnet - a bit small but priced right. Liking them

Things I still wanna try:

Griots - speed shine, glass sealant, and spray wax
Meg's - ultimate polish
Turtle wax - tire coating. Not the spray version

I'm almost convinced I could go completely OTC and be very satisfied. I can get 105 and 205 locally. I can't get something like UWW for my rinseless or ez creme. However, maybe ultimate polish will sufice. Fact is, there are some good OTC products out there at good prices, and they perform well. Just thought you might enjoy this little experiment.

lyodbraun
07-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Yea I wish we had stores that carried all the good stuff/brands... Make the OTC buying much easier... Good luck on your testing/project...

Coopers ST
07-12-2014, 05:13 PM
And you can find some of it cheap. Ultimate QD is $8 at Walmart, ultimate compound and polish are $6 each at kmart.

FUNX650
07-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Auto Parts Stores:
•If you see it:
-Grab up some Liquid Glass!!

•Many car-wash shampoos

•Don't forget Meguiar's:
-White Wax; Black Wax
-Quik Interior Detailer
-#07; #26
-#105; #205
-ColorX; SwirlX
-Clay Kit

•Mother's
-R3
-Carnauba Wax
-Aluminum and Chrome Polishes
-PowerBall; PowerCone

Marine Stores:
•Collinite Waxes
•303 AP
•Meguiars:
-#47 (Water Spot Remover)
-#52; #56; #59 (waxes, detail spray)

Plenty more OTC-produce out there to keep you pretty busy all Summer long. Into the Fall as well.

Bob

lyodbraun
07-13-2014, 10:58 AM
I've tried the liquid glass... Not to impressed with it...

FUNX650
07-13-2014, 11:31 AM
I've tried the liquid glass... Not to impressed with it...
•Sorry this was the case.

•I've always had just the opposite results with this excellent Sealant:
-Plenty of gloss and shine
-"Layerable" for even more protection from road debris.
For example:
After 25, or more "coats"/layers, Liquid Glass (LG) is said to be capable of stopping a charging Rhino: dead in its tracks!! :wow:

•However:
-It's to be understood that this "test" was performed at the Cincinnati Zoo back in the mid-1990s, on an M1A1 Abrams (that was built right here in Lima, Ohio)...
But you get point.

:D

Bob

lyodbraun
07-13-2014, 12:40 PM
•Sorry this was the case.

•I've always had just the opposite results with this excellent Sealant:
-Plenty of gloss and shine
-"Layerable" for even more protection from road debris.
For example:
After 25, or more "coats"/layers, Liquid Glass (LG) is said to be capable of stopping a charging Rhino: dead in its tracks!! :wow:

•However:
-It's to be understood that this "test" was performed at the Cincinnati Zoo back in the mid-1990s, on an M1A1 Abrams (that was built right here in Lima, Ohio)...
But you get point.

:D

Bob
LOL ..

So you live in Lima then?