PDA

View Full Version : Best Effective method to remove wax and sealant

Pages : [1] 2

typingmonkey
07-11-2014, 10:48 PM
What is the most effective method to remove a wax or sealant, or is there one?

spiralout462
07-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Polishing with at least a non-abrasive paint prep product will do it. I feel better with a finishing polish personally.

trekkeruss
07-11-2014, 11:15 PM
What is the most effective method to remove a wax or sealant, or is there one?

Polishing!

AutowerxDetailing
07-12-2014, 01:12 AM
What they said. :dblthumb2:

hernandez.art13
07-12-2014, 01:16 AM
What if the car is coated and your trying not to remove the coating? An APC foam bath or would claying work better?

Calendyr
07-12-2014, 01:35 AM
What if the car is coated and your trying not to remove the coating? An APC foam bath or would claying work better?

I am thinking an IPA wipedown should do the trick.

AutowerxDetailing
07-12-2014, 02:19 AM

Perhaps an acid wash with something like CarPro Spotless. It will definitely melt through traditional waxes and would probably dissolve away most sealants without damaging the underlying coating.

hernandez.art13
07-12-2014, 02:40 AM
Great thanks guys. I am thinking of stripping the spray waxes I've used on my car's paint to just start fresh.

My car's paint is Opti Coated btw so I just top it about once a month with a spray wax.

silverfox
07-12-2014, 04:56 AM
Top it with reload. Toss the spray wax. Reload plays nice with coatings. Waxes are a waste of time and counter productive when used as a coating topper.

FUNX650
07-12-2014, 06:52 AM
Top it with reload. Toss the spray wax. Reload plays nice with coatings. Waxes are a waste of time and counter productive when used as a coating topper.
I've been meaning to ask:
Why do you consider a Sealant not to be counterproductive to Coatings?

Bob

addysdaddy
07-12-2014, 06:57 AM
I am thinking an IPA wipedown should do the trick.

This is not true. Search PiPUK and read one of the many threads he's responded to. Only way to remove your LSP is to polish.

Paul A.
07-12-2014, 09:11 AM
The most effective method will most likely depend on what the LSP is coupled with it's age. The last failing days of a carnauba is most likely considerably less effort than a sealant that is a week old. I can imagine the only reason for removing the latter is maybe you don't like the look.

I ALWAYS polish before either adding or changing LSP's. And that's a function of trying to maximize the gloss and shine (as a minimum) or correcting some flaws anyway before sealing it in.

glen e
07-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Reload is a silica base that likes coatings better but I routinely use duragloss Aquawax over opti and CQ with great results.

To strip down to bare CQ, I wash with dawn and an ISP wipe. Never had a problem.

typingmonkey
07-12-2014, 10:32 AM
I'm trying to remove the wax and sealant that is in my truck that' I've had there for 3 months now, without removing any clear coat. If I'm not mistaken polishing will remove some of the clear coat.

What does ISP and LSP stand for? I rather not use Dawn, I want to use a car product for this, using other things makes me nervous when I use it on my truck.

Mizzoutiger
07-12-2014, 10:34 AM
I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Red (http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-citrus-wash-red.html) to strip off any LSP followed by Nanoskin Car Care Products, nanoskin autoscrub system (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-car-care-products.html) to decontaminate paint, then Menz for polish/sealant.