PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic pads

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
07-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Just got off the phone with Honda. They don't use ceramic. They said they're noisy. I want them for no brake dust. Are they worth getting

2.ooohhh
07-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Ceramic pads won't eliminate brake dust,(none will) but they do often shed a lot less volume of brake dust and it's typically much easier to remove in my experience.

frankprozzoly
07-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Do you think they're worth getting

mwoolfso
07-11-2014, 11:29 AM
There are pros and cons with ceramic, metallic and semi-metallic pads. Unless you have very special needs then stick with OEM pads or aftermarket pads that are not value-oriented (e.g. - cheap)

2.ooohhh
07-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Do you think they're worth getting

That's up to the driver/owner, I have one car that has mild track pads in wilwood 4 pot forged calipers.(rotor eating, steel flake belching, race brakes!) I have no issue with those brakes making all kinds of noise and a terrible mess as long as they stop well. In my daily drivers I typically run Hawk HPS pads but I'm been driving old BMWs so long I've begun to think if the front wheels aren't covered in brake dust something must be wrong!(Gives me something to keep me busy) :xyxthumbs:

If it's just a daily driver I'd say give them a shot if you want less dust.

swanicyouth
07-11-2014, 12:14 PM
My experience is ceramic pads are the way to go for sure for anyone interested in detailing. Why? Just because they make much less dust (iron containing dust) than semi-metallic. They may not have the initial bite of semi-mets, but this isn't an issue.

For someone who spends a lot of time cleaning wheels - you couldn't pay me to use semi-mets on my car.

FUNX650
07-11-2014, 12:27 PM
IMO:
You might as well go whole hog and get the ceramic brake kits, along with a stainless steel brake-line kit...:dblthumb2:

Bob

2.ooohhh
07-11-2014, 12:48 PM
My experience is ceramic pads are the way to go for sure for anyone interested in detailing. Why? Just because they make much less dust (iron containing dust) than semi-metallic. They may not have the initial bite of semi-mets, but this isn't an issue.

For someone who spends a lot of time cleaning wheels - you couldn't pay me to use semi-mets on my car.

Totally depends on the use of the vehicle, I had a student in a HPDE run buy new pads at the local autozone during lunch b/c he was experiencing terrible brake fade during the morning session with his "high performance" ceramic pads. Afternoon session, no problems.

For daily driver duty and around town - sure, no problem.

On sports car that's driven extremely hard/tracked or a tow vehicle - not so much.

The Guz
07-11-2014, 12:56 PM
I have Hawk HPS on my daily driver and I will be going to ceramics. The hawks dust too much and they squeel to much. If you are just going to daily drive then switch over.

Setec Astronomy
07-11-2014, 03:14 PM
I don't think your Honda dealer knows what they are talking about. I'm pretty sure your new Honda will have ceramic pads like just about every other new car except for special performance models or special performance packages.

OK--I just looked at Rock Auto and it says OE pad material for '14 Accord is ceramic.

bobble
07-11-2014, 04:29 PM
That's up to the driver/owner, I have one car that has mild track pads in wilwood 4 pot forged calipers.(rotor eating, steel flake belching, race brakes!) I have no issue with those brakes making all kinds of noise and a terrible mess as long as they stop well. In my daily drivers I typically run Hawk HPS pads but I'm been driving old BMWs so long I've begun to think if the front wheels aren't covered in brake dust something must be wrong!(Gives me something to keep me busy) :xyxthumbs:

If it's just a daily driver I'd say give them a shot if you want less dust.

I've been driving BMW's the last 20 years, I currently run Akebono Euro Ceramics on the fronts of my 335 with little to no dusting and close to stock bite and same as stock braking distance, Well worth it on a street car IMO. They'll be on the rears as soon as those give up the ghost.
Track car you have to wonder why anyone would run those on the track, my old track car I ran dedicated track pads they dusted and ate rotors but stopped and did not fade.

2.ooohhh
07-11-2014, 05:41 PM
I've been driving BMW's the last 20 years, I currently run Akebono Euro Ceramics on the fronts of my 335 with little to no dusting and close to stock bite and same as stock braking distance, Well worth it on a street car IMO. They'll be on the rears as soon as those give up the ghost.
Track car you have to wonder why anyone would run those on the track, my old track car I ran dedicated track pads they dusted and ate rotors but stopped and did not fade.

The failure on track wasn't a dedicated track car it was a novice at their first HPDE.

Don't get me wrong, I've run the Akebono Ceramics on my wife's daily (e46), love them for that application but they just weren't available for an e28 M5 or e30 M3. I do like that they are produced locally though so I always check to see if they have added any of my applications when I need pads.

Like I said, old BMWs. . .

:cruisin:

frankprozzoly
07-11-2014, 05:59 PM
I don't think your Honda dealer knows what they are talking about. I'm pretty sure your new Honda will have ceramic pads like just about every other new car except for special performance models or special performance packages.

OK--I just looked at Rock Auto and it says OE pad material for '14 Accord is ceramic.

Thats pretty sad they don't know if your right. I was talking to the write up person so who knows who they asked. I was gonna look into this just for the brake dust issue.

Harry Da Hamster
07-11-2014, 06:16 PM
IMO:
You might as well go whole hog and get the ceramic brake kits, along with a stainless steel brake-line kit...:dblthumb2:

Bob
I Like Bob's thinking. Do the whole shebang and get it over with. Virtually NO brake dust! :xyxthumbs:

Full Carbon Brake Kit (http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/brembo-complete-carbon-ceramic-brake-upgrade-bmw-m3-e909293-0812-p-157212.html)

frankprozzoly
07-11-2014, 06:54 PM
I just looked on Amazon and they have a complete set rotors and pads for $173. Power stop k840. That can't be right. I'm not a mechanic maybe they're cheap. That sounds way to cheap to me