PDA

View Full Version : The Most Painful Day of My Life

Pages : [1] 2 3

swanicyouth
07-10-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure quite why I'm posting this, but today was the most painful day of my life. I woke up & went to work and noticed a had to urinate with some urgency in the morning. It wasn't too bad - so I was thinking it was just something that would likely pass.

As the day went on - I started getting pain in my left lower abdomen I would rate a 10 out of 10. I was at work (I'm a retail pharmacist) - so I can't just say I'm sick and leave the pharmacy. I need a replacement pharmacist or I have to close up the pharmacy and send all my techs home by law.

So, by some dumb luck my pharmacy district manager (also RPh) was headed to my store to transfer "front end items" to my store - from another store. By the time he got there I was literally delirious with pain and could hardly stand or sit.

It felt like my guts exploded and I was dying - but not in the areas common for appendicitis or pancreatitis. I had no other "GI symptoms" other than this miserable pain.

The pain was indescribably bad. So, luckily I was able to leave and my DM filled in. I thought for sure I had to be dying and something was drastically wrong inside of me. So, I drove home and actually started CRYING from the pain in the car.

Luckily, my GF decided to leave work and meet me at my house. She forced me to go to the local Urgent Care. I was so uncomfortable I actually felt as though the only way I would get their was in an ambulance. But, out of inability to stand the pain - I agreed and she drove.

So, to make a long story short - it looks like I was in the process of passing a kidney stone. As, they pumped me full of fluids and it seems I passed it there. As soon as it passed (which wasn't painful) - the pain subsided. I knew kidney stones were quite painful - but have never felt anything like this in my life. The pain was so bad I literally wanted to die. Maybe I'm just a baby who can't handle pain...dunno. Luckily, they didn't shoot me up with any controlled substance pain relievers - just a dose of Toradol (somewhat similar to ibuprofen).

So, to try and turn this post into something useful other than me just ranting... Keep in mind with the hot weather to try to drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine. I have to tell you I drink a lot of energy drinks and 5 Hour Energy Shots. When I'm at work, I'm generally so busy I'm running around half way dehydrated - even though I know much better. No more.

DownSouthDetail
07-10-2014, 08:31 PM
I know the feeling man, they are the worst thing I've ever felt. I've passed 5 of them!!

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Ah Toradol, that's good stuff.

Glad it wasn't anything more serious--that's usually how you wind up getting Toradol.

Just02896
07-10-2014, 08:32 PM
I myself haven't yet had stones but I've heard how painful it can be from many others. Glad to hear you passed it quickly! Many others aren't so lucky and have to either wait for days or weeks or have to get some ultrasonic assistance at the hospital. A friend of mine used to have them pretty frequently and was told to start drinking crystal light. He says he has 2 glasses a day and has had a marked improvement. Something to try if you have any more in the future! :-)

VISITOR
07-10-2014, 08:42 PM
good to hear you're okay...

hernandez.art13
07-10-2014, 08:42 PM
glad your doing better.

Stay up Detailing Friend:xyxthumbs:

Paul A.
07-10-2014, 08:51 PM
That does sound painful. Glad to hear you're over it.

david79z28
07-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Your no baby!!

They hurt!!

I've had 3. No shame in getting pain relief when it's that bad.

swanicyouth
07-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice words. Makes me want to be a nicer and more empathetic person.

07-10-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm glad to hear you're doing better. One of my guys at work passed a couple of stones himself few months back. He too said it was the worst pain he'd ever felt in his life...

01GreyStangGT
07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
I feel you. Been there twice.

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2014, 08:56 PM
You know how when you're younger you hear old people talking about "at least you have your health" and stuff like that and you think it's the stupidest stuff in the world? Yeah, well.

AZ Mike
07-10-2014, 09:05 PM
You are not a baby and glad you are doing better.

Paul Mitchell
07-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Glad you're feeling better. Let's hope it's the last time it happens.

Audios S6
07-10-2014, 09:14 PM
I feel you Steve. You are definitely not a baby. I vomited from the discomfort of my first one. My Kidney stones qualify as third worst pain I've experienced, right behind:

2. head of left femur partially collapsing and then walking on it for a year after initial collapse

1. having left leg cut open from top to bottom, middle section of fibula cut out with vasculature, large hole drilled through femur into head of femur, fibula inserted into femur, vasculature reconnected, a few pins and hundreds and staples and sutures. (AKA left hip core decompression and free vascularized fibular graft)

Just know that next time you will be a little better prepared with the onset of the pain. Can you 'obtain' some flomax? :laughing: