PDA

View Full Version : Local Detailer Recommendations

Pages : [1] 2

mreed2483
07-10-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where to post this. Does anyone know of any good detailers in the Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA area? Any help would be appreciated. I am debating on whether to have someone work on my car or do it myself since I've never used a machine and I need a machine compound, polish and wax. If I get a machine I'm looking at the dewalt circular polisher. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2014, 07:11 PM
I hesitate to mention him because he's affiliated with an Autogeek competitor, but Presidential Details is close and would do a great job for you. A little further is forum member Tuscarora Dave in Etters PA Tuscarora Dave's Mobile Auto Detailing (http://www.tdmad.com/index.php)

custmsprty
07-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Just some friendly advice, if you've never used a machine a Dewalt Rotary is the last thing you want to start with, stick with a DA.

Eric@CherryOnTop
07-10-2014, 08:11 PM
I would look for Tuscadora Dave as well. His write ups show beautiful work and he has proven himself a heck of a nice and honest guy on the forums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveT435
07-10-2014, 08:29 PM
I would look for Tuscadora Dave as well. His write ups show beautiful work and he has proven himself a heck of a nice and honest guy on the forums.

:iagree:

Paul A.
07-10-2014, 08:59 PM
I've always been impressed with Tuscarora Dave's willingness to help fellow Geeker's too. In addition to putting up good info here and proving he knows what he's doing, he seems incredibally generous with showing others less experienced how he does it like a pro. If you are looking to get into it more yourself he might be the right guy to hook up with. I don't know how close he is to you but worth an inquiry.

I will also second the advice to avoid a DeWalt rotary as your first machine!

Paul Mitchell
07-10-2014, 09:01 PM
I would look for Tuscarora Dave as well. His write ups show beautiful work and he has proven himself a heck of a nice and honest guy on the forums.

:iagree:

Dave is one of the best!

mreed2483
07-10-2014, 09:04 PM
I was looking at the DeWalt since it had a lot of good reviews from a lot of unrelated places and it is a good price at a local Home store with free shipping to home or store. I also thought about the PorterCable, but I read some people said that you can't really do any correction with it because it is a DA. My car is in pretty good shape with the exception of the hood. It looks like it has a lot of surface scratches, from front of hood to windshield. I'm hoping it is not clear coat failure. My concern is that when I bought it the dealership had a black accent painted on it and I don't know about the clear coat since it isn't the factory clear coat. The car is a 2007 Nissan 350Z. I don't understand why the hood is the only part of the car like that, but I'm thinking it is because of the clear coat being different than the rest of the car.

I will look into Tuscarora Dave. Thanks for the advice guys. I know I am not on a lot, but that's mostly due to my schedule and lack of detailing equipment aside from my hands (insert joke here.)

mreed2483
07-10-2014, 09:06 PM
I was also thinking of Opti Coat after paint correction to help prevent future issues.

mreed2483
07-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys, he is about 30 minutes away from me.

Paul A.
07-10-2014, 09:18 PM
I believe Dave is an Opti Coat guy too IIRC.

Paul A.
07-10-2014, 09:25 PM
You would be surprised with new products and pads that now render the DA machine much more effective at correction. DA's used to have that reputation (rather impotent at correction) but better compounds like Meg's M105, Uber and Menz FG400 with thin microfiber cutting pads now can mimic what was only achievable with a rotary. And the oscillating action of a DA's throw and somewhat irregular motion makes it so much safer if you're just starting out with a machine.

A rotary as your first machine to learn on is dangerous. They can inflict damage in the blink of an eye if not used correctly. I started with a DA years ago and only migrated to a rotary after using my PC for about 3-4 years.

mreed2483
07-10-2014, 09:42 PM
On his website he does opti-coat. I sent him an email and hope to hear from him soon though not tonight.

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Dave hasn't been on the forum much lately, has he?

dad07
07-10-2014, 09:57 PM

I will second this recommendation........Dave is your guy! Dave will educate you.

Tell him I sent you!