PDA

View Full Version : need coating to slow down cc failure

timaishu
07-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Thinking of giving coatings one more try on my Altima. The clear coat is slowly getting worse on my roof. I figure the only thing I can do besides a repaint is coat it with something permanent/semi permanent and hope it helps hold it together a bit longer.

I had a real bad experience with opti-coat, so they are out. Despite perfect preparation, opticoat only last a few months on the horizontal surfaces and just a year on the vertical. I reapplied it several times to the roof and eventually gave up as each other time I would get maybe 2 months then it was gone again.

I want to give it one more go. Was thinking my cquarts or black diamond or maybe the dp product?

Anyone have any sort of luck doing what Im trying to do? I cannot afford a repaint, so its either this or nothing I figure. I was hoping opticoat would have worked due to their claims as it being permanent. Are there any other coatings that claim to be permanent that don't cost a fortune?

builthatch
07-10-2014, 12:14 AM
i know you don't want to hear it, but Opti-Coat from a composition standpoint will be more robust than those other options. there is something inherently unique (and apparently extraordinary given the longevity issues) about your situation that is probably affecting the ability of Opti-Coat to work as expected and if that is the case, those same things will hamper other coatings as well.

i came here to offer Opti-Coat as an option but that's out so whatever you choose, i wish you the best!

timaishu
07-10-2014, 12:25 AM
i know you don't want to hear it, but Opti-Coat from a composition standpoint will be more robust than those other options. there is something inherently unique (and apparently extraordinary given the longevity issues) about your situation that is probably affecting the ability of Opti-Coat to work as expected and if that is the case, those same things will hamper other coatings as well.

i came here to offer Opti-Coat as an option but that's out so whatever you choose, i wish you the best!

I have pondered this, but I don't know what it could be. I clayed the living crap out of my roof, and despite that, it still wont fully pass the plastic bag test. Used optimums compounds/polishes and did ipa wipe down and applied it to the panel in the shade, panel cool, on a mild day.

But I didn't consider that perhaps if opticoat didn't work, another coating would perhaps also not work.

Hmm.

glen e
07-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Wetsand it down with 2000 /3000 and use automotivetouchup.com clear, it's in aerosol and is amazing stuff that levels perfectly. Then polish....

builthatch
07-10-2014, 12:33 AM
I have pondered this, but I don't know what it could be. I clayed the living crap out of my roof, and despite that, it still wont fully pass the plastic bag test. Used optimums compounds/polishes and did ipa wipe down and applied it to the panel in the shade, panel cool, on a mild day.

But I didn't consider that perhaps if opticoat didn't work, another coating would perhaps also not work.

Hmm.

it's a tough deal because your situation is so far out of the normal range for Opti-Coat installation, hehe. i wish i could help!

you know what i'd do? call Dr. G and talk to him about it. let him know what you did, what happened and see if he has any suggestions. he has a vast background in automotive paints on top of developing these products and he might know something that we'd overlook.

David Hayward
07-10-2014, 12:34 AM
Pictures of the issues on your clear might help a little also. Do you have any good images capturing what you are trying to slow down?

timaishu
07-10-2014, 01:08 AM
This is an old issue, so its hard to recall. This all went down like 2 years ago or more at this point. Since then I've just been waxing which is working fine. I will see tomorrow if I can dig up some old threads I made; I madeseverL threads about this issue..

timaishu
07-10-2014, 07:45 PM
bump?

DaveT435
07-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Wetsand it down with 2000 /3000 and use automotivetouchup.com clear, it's in aerosol and is amazing stuff that levels perfectly. Then polish....

I would go this route. Then if you want to coat put one coat of Gtechnia C1 followed by 2 coats of EXO.

timaishu
07-10-2014, 09:35 PM
I would go this route. Then if you want to coat put one coat of Gtechnia C1 followed by 2 coats of EXO.

I actually tried something similar to fix peeling cc on my fender and I messed up and ended up making it worse. Im afraid to try again, especially on such a large surface.