PDA

View Full Version : Flex Vs Makita

Pages : [1] 2

TuxedoTaurus
07-09-2014, 09:06 PM
I see a lot of recommendations for the Flex XC 3401 VRG, and praise the benefits of the forced rotation.

After looking at this:
Makita Bo6040 Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/bo6040.html)

Would this not be a better option as it could go from free spin to force rotation?

Is their any problems with this machine?

Just from looking at specs it seems the Makita is a more versatile machine. I have never used a Flex or Makita, but interested in the concept.

Feed back please

hernandez.art13
07-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Looks interesting

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN_1kM9dM3M]makita bo 6040 - YouTube[/video]

looks like he removed the swirls with the rotary and then removed the buffer swirls with the DA. He says it spins counter clock wise too? Like the Flex does?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LngsIHuGfc]Two step paint correction/polishing - YouTube[/video]

I saw this method done at the local car wash about a few months back. It was a black car being buffed with a Rotary and then another guy followed it with a PC. They were using the NanoSkin autoscrub too lol. I was like "whaa!!!" :laughing:

That same day they were polishing a grey metallic car and they just used a Rotary. Which made since because the paint probably hid the buffer swirls.

TuxedoTaurus
07-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Nice vids, Thanks!

It does look very interesting. I'm just wondering why it is being passed over for the flex, when you can have the option of forced or free spin rotation.

Is there some short coming on this machine?

TuxedoTaurus
07-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Well after research they are very comparative tools. The Makita from what I can tell does not have different BP to use with it.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-11-2014, 02:30 AM
With the Makita you are stuck with the one plate it comes with. On the 3401 there are 4 different plate sizes available. If you grab the 3401 make sure to grab the Hybrid pads as they are designed for this machine.

Mike Phillips
07-11-2014, 07:21 AM
I've seen this topic before and here's my thoughts....

From this thread....

which one to choose makita bo6040 or Flex 3401?? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/58110-one-choose-makita-bo6040-flex-3401-a.html)

I've used both and the Flex 3401 is easier to work with as it's purposefully designed to be a "paint polisher".

The Makita BO6040 is a wood sander. The difference is when sanding with it the tool doesn't require a lot of muscle to control. When polishing paint with it, you will use a lot more muscle energy to control it as compared to the Flex 3401.

Why?

Because of the design shape.

If you look at the two tools, the Flex 3401 is longer with a forward bale handle and the rear grip at the back of the tool. The length of the tool body is not an accident, the length of the tool puts your hands far enough apart at both extreme ends to give you leverage over the tool, this makes it easier to hold and control for HOURS as you work through the,

Correct step
Polishing step
Machine waxing step

Some people might even do a second polishing step.

Point being, buffing out an entire car with a neglected finish from start to finish is going to take you anywhere from 4 to 8 hours behind the polisher.

The design engineers at Flex purposefully designed the Flex 3401 to be an ergonomically correct, powerful paint polishing tool that will remove defects without at the same time instilling holograms or burning high points. (Assuming you use the tool correctly and with quality pads and good abrasive technology).

The design engineers at Makita purposefully designed the Makita BO6040 to be an ergonomically correct, powerful wood sander. Can it be used to polish paint? Yes. And it does do a good job in the way that the Flex 3401 does a good job by offering a forced, dual action orbiting pattern for the buffing pad.

If I had to pick one and go buff out an entire car I would easily grab the Flex 3401 over the Makita BO6040.

Plus, down the road you can get different backing plates for the Flex and I'm a big fan of the 4" backing plate with 5" Hybrid pads.

Hope that helps...

Shared this same above information with a guy on the phone yesterday asking pretty much the same questions and all he wants a polisher for is his own vehicles. He wants to buy one polisher that he can trust to get the job done and now have buyers remorse a few months down the road.

We sell the Makita BO6040 but I'd grab, use and recommend the Flex 3401.

:)

TuxedoTaurus
07-11-2014, 09:50 AM
With the Makita you are stuck with the one plate it comes with. On the 3401 there are 4 different plate sizes available. If you grab the 3401 make sure to grab the Hybrid pads as they are designed for this machine.

Thanks for the help, will look into the pads. Not ready yet to drop the $$$ for the flex just yet. It would be a luxury item not needed right now. Definitely looking at a forced DA with in a year or two to add to the arsenal though.

I've seen this topic before and here's my thoughts....
We sell the Makita BO6040 but I'd grab, use and recommend the Flex 3401.

Appreciate the design lesson. I actually searched and did not find that thread, so 3401 is comfort by design specific for the automotive industry.

Mike Phillips
07-11-2014, 02:38 PM
so 3401 is comfort by design specific for the automotive industry.

Yes.

Rotary buffers can be used to sand and grind wood, steel, stone, plastic, glass, concrete etc.

DA's like the Porter Cable started out in their life as wood sanders, now they are paint polishers and machine sanders for paint.

Flex 3401 is pretty much only good for one thing and that's working on cars. Polishing with compounds and polishes and decontaminating with Nanoskin Pads. Also scrubbing. We just brought in a brush that attaches to the Velcro on the Flex 3401 as well as PC type tools.

And after some though the Rupes Bigfoot polishers are also pretty much specific to only polishing paint... that I know of...

:)

TuxedoTaurus
07-11-2014, 04:27 PM
We just brought in a brush that attaches to the Velcro on the Flex 3401 as well as PC type tools.

Yeah I have been looking for those brushes. I saw them on the website right after I placed my last order(it is now on the wish list for the next one). It would have come in handy to use on a boat interior I have to do.

hernandez.art13
07-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher
Item #: FL-XC3401VR
Retail Value: $359.99

Makita BO6040 Orbital Sander/ Polisher
Item #: BO-6040
Our Price: $319.99

hmmm... for $40 more I think I would just go with the Flex. That's just me :dunno:

allenk4
07-11-2014, 06:52 PM

I thought there were only 2 BP's available for the 3401

5 1/2" and 4 3/8"

VISITOR
07-11-2014, 06:59 PM
I thought there were only 2 BP's available for the 3401

5 1/2" and 4 3/8"

5.5" that comes already equipped with the machine. then a 4 3/8 which you can buy seperately and the LC backing plate system with both the 4" and 6". so there's four total...

allenk4
07-11-2014, 07:11 PM
5.5" that comes already equipped with the machine. then a 4 3/8 which you can buy seperately and the LC backing plate system with both the 4" and 6". so there's four total...

Thanks

For some reason thought the LC system was 5.5 and 4 3/8

I had mine cut down to perfectly fit 5.5" pads

PC with Meguiar's 3" MF pads and 4" LC CCS

Looking at picking up the new CarPro 3 1/2" Fast Cut pads as soon as some reviews are in

Angler
07-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Yeah I have been looking for those brushes. I saw them on the website right after I placed my last order(it is now on the wish list for the next one). It would have come in handy to use on a boat interior I have to do.

Could you tell me the part number, please? Thanks.

Mike Phillips
07-14-2014, 07:05 AM
Could you tell me the part number, please? Thanks.

Here you go...

Dual Action Carpet & Upholstery Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-carpet-brush.html)

:xyxthumbs: