PDA

View Full Version : OOOOooh those Bargins MF's

Pages : [1] 2

Largebore
07-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Or should I say ouch.. My collection of MF's includes many Cobras plus some from the local Auto Parts Store. Recently I have been a bit miffed that no matter how careful I am, I seem to get little dusty things all over the car when polishing. Same with the windows. This does not always happen, but when it does it is sooo frustrating.. Lay the towel down and next thing you know I have something else to clean up.

I started to sort out my towels and see if all of the towels were doing this dust or linting thing. Sure enough, after a number of tests I found that ALL of the towels from one particular Auto Parts store were linting heavily.
Clean the window and it left a trail of dust-like lint.. If I buffed up any polish, same story more lint.

Well, in the act of being gracious and not slamming someones brand on this site, I will just say that these bargin MF were no bargain at all... They sucked....

StephenK
07-31-2007, 10:35 PM
dont think of it as slamming someone think of it as helping the rest of us out.

Largebore
07-31-2007, 10:40 PM
OK, the brand is "MIRAGE" from Advantage Auto Parts.

Rsurfer
07-31-2007, 10:43 PM
I alway's wash my bargain brand mf's by itself. No lint from my corbra's.

ltoman
07-31-2007, 11:07 PM
What you pay for is what you get in the land of mf, I think. Target's orange ones are decent, but that is where I stop.
I agree - separate them. Sounds like you should slowly start to replace them.

Nica
07-31-2007, 11:15 PM
What you pay for is what you get in the land of mf, I think. Target's orange ones are decent, but that is where I stop.
I agree - separate them. Sounds like you should slowly start to replace them.

I totally, 100% :iagree:. I've purchased some really cheap Micro Fiber towels and I use them for the exaust tips now, that's about all they are good for. Can never have enough Micro Fiber towels.

I don't see it as bashing, like detailgod said. It's giving all of us a heads up from your personal experiance.

thank you for sharing.

gary26
07-31-2007, 11:17 PM
We even had some people complaining about the MF"S sold here at Autogeek. The great thing is Autogeek will take care of them if there defective. They must be washed and dried properly of course.

Surfer
07-31-2007, 11:18 PM
If your purchasing OTC, Target Vroom and Viking at Kmart are the only choices, anything else is crappola. Unless you buy a bunch of the cheapo Costco packs for bulk detailing for interior, engine etc.

ltoman
07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Yah, bigfoot told me viking were cool, but i haven't tried them. the target orange were vroom.

Gnarboots11
08-01-2007, 12:25 AM
I use the yellow 36 pack from costco. Costs $12 and I see no difference from the Cobra MF's. For $0.33 a towel they are almost disposable too, so I really dont hesitate using them on my wheel wells and any other surface.

SPiN
08-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Same, i use the ones from costco, for $20 i get nearly 70+ microfiber towles, use them for the wheels and everything and mine havn't been linting out or anything, actually pretty good quality.

Sorry but i just cant see myself paying more then a buck for each. specially since iv had to throw some away that get really black from cleaning wheels and stuff.

ScottB
08-01-2007, 06:31 AM
microfibers seem to make their own static ...so they inherently pickup all dust and lint. Never wash them with other laundry, if you do, you will never be able to use without lint again. I even segregate mine in a second bucket till washing so they wont attract dirt/wax/dust from other car towels.

Junebug
08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I've considered getting a 5 gallon bucket, adding about 3 gallons of water, a dash of laundry detergent and just throwing my used MF's in there and let them soak till I get enough to put in the washer. Anybody do this?

m4gician
08-01-2007, 01:52 PM
soaking them would be good, especially since some ofthem are caked with wax. I would recommend using down power dissolver, the same stuff you use for your pads, (not snappy) but dawn at least to help break down what's in them, and then toss em in the machine (seperately).

Question,

Can MFs be washed with OTHER towels in general?

Nica
08-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I've considered getting a 5 gallon bucket, adding about 3 gallons of water, a dash of laundry detergent and just throwing my used MF's in there and let them soak till I get enough to put in the washer. Anybody do this?

Yup, that's exactly what I do. Exepct here is what I do. I have two 5 gallon buckets with approximetly 3 gallons of water with some Microfiber Restorer and I seperate the polishing towels with the wax towels. Same goes for my Guzzlers, I seperate them all so what ever is in one towel dosen't get to the other towel's. This works for me, I usually leave them soaking for at least a day then I rinse them off and throwthem in the washing machine (only MF towels, nothing else).

Haven't had any problems yet.