PDA

View Full Version : polish over or around deep unrepairable scratches?

R1C0
07-09-2014, 11:35 AM
So Im still getting used to driving my '13 Malibu that I've had for a year now, and I was pulling up to a curb to parallel park when I heard a large scrape and knew it wasn't good, finally parked and noticed some pretty bad scrapes at the very bottom corner of my bumper that went deep into the plastic I will say past the primer even. I have bought a few detailing products pc7424xp and a sampler of Chemical Guys polish line (v32-38). Do you normally tape that off and polish around it? What's the procedure. I'm not too concerned with it because Its not an eyesore and its a black car and the scapes are shades of black so its somewhat unnoticeable being at the bottom

jamesboyy
07-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Well I would suggest to touch up the damage area though snice its unnoticedable and not much of a bother to you just tape it off and work around it and the reason why I suggest this so you dont have compound, etc stuck inside the unpainted area

GenesisCoupe
07-09-2014, 12:19 PM
What's pads did you get?

You need to touch up the area, then use the PC to level it out and make it look better.

V32 is heavy cutting so I'd follow that up with v36 or v38 since you have those products alrdy.

R1C0
07-09-2014, 02:50 PM
What's pads did you get?

You need to touch up the area, then use the PC to level it out and make it look better.

V32 is heavy cutting so I'd follow that up with v36 or v38 since you have those products alrdy.

I bought 3 orange,3white,1 green 2 black hex pads ,don't remember if I bought yellow pads

oldmodman
07-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Now would be the time to invest in a Dr. Colorchip kit and fill in the deep scratches as much as possible. It will certainly not be perfect, but it will be much less noticeable.

It might even be easier to take the "low road" in the repair and just get a dealer supplied factory color pain pen. Just fill in the deep gouge a little at a time. eventually building the pain thickness right up to (and a little past) the surface. The dealer paint pens shouldn't be more than $15.00
And the color match is usually pretty good. Depending on the color. If you have a white car it will match beautifully. If you have a metallic color with a tinted clear coat nothing except a full blend re spray will match perfectly.