PDA

View Full Version : Price question

ct18
07-09-2014, 08:34 AM
I have a regular job but like detailing on the side. I have a friend that wants me to do his mini van. Inside vacuum and wipe down and windows, no major spot or stain removal. The outside would just be wash, clay and a AIO no correction wanted. What would be a good price to charge a friend. I told him a 100.00.

Thanks

HenkeL
07-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Friend prices are friend prices so depends on how close friend he is. 100 sounds fair. Even if you use an AIO a mini van probably will take 6 h included breaks.

ct18
07-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks Henkel. That's about where i was time wise.Plus i am giving up softball on Sunday, so he gets penalized for that also.

Paul A.
07-09-2014, 10:12 AM
I would also agree with that being a reasonable fee. If it does take you about 6 hrs. maybe figure $10/hour for the "friend" rate + $40 Softball Absence fee...$100 and we call it a deal.

Just tell him not to broadcast that price around!

SANTA3013
07-09-2014, 10:16 AM
I used to struggle with pricing until I started charging by the hour. I am retired from full time work so this is my therapy now.
I do price headlight restoration separately and do not do paint correction except on my own vehicles. I also give 10% discount to friends and family.

cleanmycorolla
07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
I dont charge friends money, or family. I charge them in favors, like watch our dogs for two days, make me a pie, teach me hot to play call of duty, things like that. Charge the public, not friends and fam!

Paul A.
07-09-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't charge family but i do charge friends but at a discounted rate. I used to do lots of free work when i first started but have subscribed to the theory of not giving away my services for free (except family). The free work was rewarded by the "payment" of building both my resume, photo library and experience level.

And my discounts to friends has been as low as product useage cost to up to 25% discount off full price. Depends on the relationship. My friends are gainfully employed and expect to pay for a relatively high level of expertise. They are more than willing to pay me for something they can't do or want to do and i get at least compensated modestly for, at times, spending anywhwere from 4 to 10 hours of hot, sweaty work.

Again, there was a time i gave away work for free and i got paid with intangible benefits. Not anymore and we should all recognize our time is not only valuable but a skilled commodity people are willingto pay for.

That's not to suggest i disagree with cleanmycorolla...a barter arrangement is still, in my mind, getting compensated. I have also enjoyed the occassional favor for a favor.

GenesisCoupe
07-09-2014, 12:24 PM
If it's a friend yes that's fine.. If this was a Customer I think 350/400 would be appropriate.

215Detailing
07-09-2014, 01:04 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/80119-basic-detail-rates-profit-beginners.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/79887-general-basic-detail-3.html

HenkeL
07-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Minimum I charge for material such as pads and chemicals. You should not loose money on helping your friends. Time is one thing you could always be generous with. But to be able to help your next friend, at least you need fresh pads and polish.

David Hayward
07-09-2014, 04:18 PM
I have a couple very close friends that I detail for free and my parents. That's it. My friends that get the perk always help and they bring a great selection of beer that and they were here to help me move, paint every room in my house and also rewire things at no cost. Typically they will get me some pads or a bottle of polish and they have always gotten me more business after with their cars and handing out my cards.