PDA

View Full Version : Best presoak method with UWW+ before using ONR for rinseless?

Pages : [1] 2

ndcec
07-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Hello again guys :)

I was wondering which would be the best and safest way to presoak with Ultima Waterless Wash+ before doing a rinseless wash wirh Optimum No rinse Wash & Wax.

I'm the kind of person that overthink everything and people tell me "you're overthinking" everyday so I am probably doing the same with this but I like to ask anyway to make sure :D

I have one 56 oz pump sprayer and a 22 oz regular sprayer. The method I am considering are:

Method 1:

1.-Presoak with a lot of solution using the 56 oz of the pump sprayer but not QD dilution rate, only 1/4 oz of UWW+ per the 56 oz of water.

2.-Right before wiping, spray with the regular sprayer with a QD dilution (1/4 oz of UWW+ and 11 oz of water).

for steps 1 and 2, I want to use 11 oz of water because most of the people say that they do a waterless wash of the complete car with about 10-12 oz of soution and the QD dilution is 1:44 or 0.5 oz UWW+ and 22 oz of water

3.- Wipe with the towel that was in the bucket with ONR solution.

4.- Spray with the pump sprayer (same solution as in step 1) just a little bit in a "Dry me crazy towel" and dry.

These 4 steps in each panel of course

Method 2:

Basically the same but without step 2. Is step 2 an unnecessary step?.

Method 3:

The same as method 1 but in step 1 use only water.

Thank you in advance! :xyxthumbs:

swanicyouth
07-08-2014, 07:45 PM
If you using UWW+ - why not just use it for your rinseless? It seems to have more lubricity than ONR. I just put it in a 44oz pump sprayer and soak the panel. I use about 44oz to do a car - so I use it liberally.

Sometimes I'll will do the AMMO NYC method (like Larry does with regular soap and a foamer) and spray it right before the towel. I use it at QD strength - 1:44. Stuff is so cheap - I'm not counting my pennies.

That's called The SwanicYouth Method.

Kappy
07-08-2014, 07:50 PM
What's the purpose of using the two different products?

I use ONR and prespray each panel with the same dilution of ONR that I use in the bucket to soak the towels. I think that's the most common way of doing it, and it seems to work just fine.

cleanmycorolla
07-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Use UWW+ for both Rinseless and waterless! it's the best at both.

ndcec
07-08-2014, 08:16 PM
To respond everyone asking why two different products.

Because most of the people say ONR is better for rinseless and more cost effective, also I am using the Wash & WAX version so the wax is not good for pre-soak.

UWW+ is an excellent product for waterless and pre-soak.

DaveT435
07-08-2014, 08:18 PM
You can watch the Garry Dean method on you tube. Works great for me

ndcec
07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
You can watch the Garry Dean method on you tube. Works great for me

That's exactly the method I want to use, I have seen the video several times but I am wondering how to do the presoak, if I have a pump sprayer I think it would be better to presoak with more water rather than with just a little as in the video.

tnecniv
07-08-2014, 08:39 PM
You're overthinking it. You don't even need to pre-soak when using ONR. But, if it makes you feel better, just use your big pump sprayer, "pre-soak" a few panels, then wipe with ONR. Dry with WW towel. Done.

ndcec
07-08-2014, 08:51 PM
You're overthinking it. You don't even need to pre-soak when using ONR. But, if it makes you feel better, just use your big pump sprayer, "pre-soak" a few panels, then wipe with ONR. Dry with WW towel. Done.

Lol, I know I'm overthinking (read the second paragraph of the first post)

I know it is not "necessary" but since I don't have access to a hose (the use of them is prohibited where I live), I want to minimize the more that I can the risk of swirls and scratches, for the same reason, I don't want to use waffle weave towels to dry.

I could go to a coin operated car wash if the car is really, REALLY dirty but for that I would have to spend about other $8 in gas.

BillyJack
07-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Honestly, I don't see a need for UWW if you're doing a rinseless wash. I load up a pump sprayer with the same ONR or DG I'm using to wash with, lightly presoak the entire car and blow off any especially dirty areas with a bit of pressure. In the winter, I used either my own PW. or the local coin-op to get off the slush and salt, prior to a rinseless wash. I wash with a few decent mf towels, then use a second mf that I've hand wrung to get the majority of solution off before drying. If you keep a folded mf relatively flat on the panel, you'll see the dirt collected mainly on the leading edge. Roll that edge back a bit and you can get more than one pass before you change faces of the towel. I've taught more than a few folks my method without issue, even on new black cars.
There's always have a bottle of UWW on the shelf, but it mainly serves as a safer (IMO) QD to remove the dust on my garage queen El Camino with very sensitive OEM lacquer paint.

Bill

ducksfan
07-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Lol, I know I'm overthinking (read the second paragraph of the first post)

I know it is not "necessary" but since I don't have access to a hose (the use of them is prohibited where I live), I want to minimize the more that I can the risk of swirls and scratches, for the same reason, I don't want to use waffle weave towels to dry.

I could go to a coin operated car wash if the car is really, REALLY dirty but for that I would have to spend about other $8 in gas.

Mix the solution by the gallon: 3oz for UWW+; 2oz ONRWW

Spray your panel(s). Take a MF loaded with solution (Garry Dean style or however) in one hand and your sprayer in the other. Run your sprayer continuously in front of your MF as you wipe the panel. Use another MF to wipe dry (or blow).

If your going to put a MF to your car, I don't know how you could be any safer.

ndcec
07-09-2014, 05:38 AM
Mix the solution by the gallon: 3oz for UWW+; 2oz ONRWW

Spray your panel(s). Take a MF loaded with solution (Garry Dean style or however) in one hand and your sprayer in the other. Run your sprayer continuously in front of your MF as you wipe the panel. Use another MF to wipe dry (or blow).

If your going to put a MF to your car, I don't know how you could be any safer.

Isn't that a lot of UWW+? That's 1 whole gallon of QD dilution ratio of UWW+.

Most people seems to agree they use an average of 11 oz of solution (QD dilution ratio) per car per waterless wash. I just want it to pre-soak.

Also the ONRWW directions says to use only 0.5 oz per gallon, wouldn't using 4 times more be too much?

Thank you!

ducksfan
07-10-2014, 08:37 AM
How much you would use would depend on the size of the car. But yeah, it would be 1/2 to a gallon of solution. You said though that avoiding swirls was important.
A gallon of UWW+ solution uses 3oz. Which, if you buy it by the gallon, would cost probably $2. The ONRWW would be (which I use for this method) about $.50.
I have multiple sprayers. If I was to use UWW+ this way regularly, I would adjust my flood mixture closer to bucket wash proportions.
How tight a dollar is squeezed varies from person to person.
I think the important thing here is to see there are many variations with no hose methods and you can achieve bucket results or better with hand sprayers.
I am playing around with prewashing parts of the car with bucket strentgh+ solutions of car soap in a sprayer and then semi rinsing using a 2 gal. sprayer filled with water (I filter all my water that isn't distilled) followed by spraying WW to finish off.
I keep trying different things. This is supposed to be fun, right?

If I ever reach a conclusion, I'll make a video and go all over the top Garry Dean on myself, proclaiming the greatest wash system ever - the Duck method.

ndcec
07-10-2014, 08:53 AM
The car is Mazdaspeed 3 it is small-mid-size.

I will add another method that I have been thinking of, I got another 30 oz sprayer so now I this one and I have the 56 oz sprayer:

Method 4:

1.-With the small pump sprayer presoak with a QD dilution ratio solution, 1:44 several panels to let them dwell while I work on other areas. This wil be more concentrate and will have less water so UWW+ will stick to the surface instead of slipping down?? I was thinking in using .25 oz of UWW+ and 11 oz of water in this step, so 11.25 oz solution to "pre-treat" the whole car.

2.-Right before wiping, spray with the the 56 oz sprayer with a lot more water (56 oz for the total surface of the car) to add lubricity and only 0.25 oz of UWW+. 56.25 oz of solution to "pre-soak" the whole car.

3.- Wipe with the towel that was in the bucket with ONRWW solution. Rinseless dilution ratio, 1:256.

4.- Spray with the 56 oz pump sprayer (same solution as in step 2) just a little bit in a "Dry me crazy towel" and dry.

5.-Repeat 2-4 in panels that I already did step 1 and let them dwell.

How does this sound?

Thank you!

Eric@CherryOnTop
07-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Honestly, I don't see a need for UWW if you're doing a rinseless wash. I load up a pump sprayer with the same ONR or DG I'm using to wash with, lightly presoak the entire car and blow off any especially dirty areas with a bit of pressure. In the winter, I used either my own PW. or the local coin-op to get off the slush and salt, prior to a rinseless wash. I wash with a few decent mf towels, then use a second mf that I've hand wrung to get the majority of solution off before drying. If you keep a folded mf relatively flat on the panel, you'll see the dirt collected mainly on the leading edge. Roll that edge back a bit and you can get more than one pass before you change faces of the towel. I've taught more than a few folks my method without issue, even on new black cars.
There's always have a bottle of UWW on the shelf, but it mainly serves as a safer (IMO) QD to remove the dust on my garage queen El Camino with very sensitive OEM lacquer paint.

Bill

I do the exact same thing. I've just recently got on the uww bandwagon, used it yesterday on a clients maintainence wash to clean the door jambs, worked great. I'll probably keep a bottle in my own car for emergencies but if you're doing rinseless I would just stick with ONR and use that to presoak if you desire.

I believe the first time I saw someone do the "rolling edges" technique with microfibers it was Jason Rose. It makes a single towel go a lot farther and is perfectly safe for the paint.

2 years ago if you told me I would be washing a car without a hose I would have called you a heretic, now I hardly touch my hose.

*YOURE OVERTHINKING IT!* :-p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk