PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite medium clay

sayroger
07-08-2014, 06:45 PM
What is a good medium clay I can use? The cars I do are like around 3 years and older. I don't mind maring the clear coat I will be machine polishing them anyway. I want super smooth after cay ing

oldmodman
07-08-2014, 06:53 PM
I am using Clay Magic. Both the "mild blue" and the "aggressive red"

The generally does not marr unless I am pressing very hard. But the red always does. But the red removes just about anything.

On a first time cleaning and polishing I wash the car, clay with mild clay, wash again with Iron-X, then a final wash with soap again before any polishing. After it is dry I give it the plastic bag test to feel for any further contaminant. I prefer to clay before using the Iron-X to allow it to get "down deep". And if I don't clay it might only be reaching the iron "mountain tops" that are reaching above whatever crud is bonded to the paint.

sayroger
07-08-2014, 06:58 PM
oh and what type of clay lube? I am use ONR right now.

inDetail
07-08-2014, 07:21 PM
I have been using CG clay forever then the patent expired so It's whatever reputable brand is at a good price. I by CG when it's on sale. Optimum Poly clay is really good. It's cheap compared to other brands. I have also used Sonus which I liked a lot.
Clay Lube I use Garry Dean's IUDJ. I buy it for other uses: QD, spray wax, window cleaner, rinse less wash, pad primer and the list goes on. After it's diluted the concentrate size I buy makes 5.5 gallons at a cost of $6 a gallon. You can use UWW+ which is pretty much the samething and does the same stuff. I think UWW+ is a bit cheaper and just as good. I just like supporting the small business owner.

jmsc
07-08-2014, 07:21 PM
I use Opti-Eraser mild or aggressive depending on the situation. Since you user ONR that's what I would recommend to you. Opti is a whole lot faster than clay by 1/2 the time.

I use O-E with just about any clay lubricant (ONR, Meg FI, Pinnacle, Dodo Juice...).

swanicyouth
07-08-2014, 07:39 PM
I like the Chemical Guys Clay Block. I keep waiting for it to crap out or peel apart, but it doesn't. I keep waiting for it to mar - but it doesn't. I think it was like $15. I don't know if its "medium", but it gets off contamination for me and leaves a smooth slick surface.

I always clay with a baggy in my pocket so I can check my work.

Mizzoutiger
07-08-2014, 09:24 PM
The new "clay" I use/love Nanoskin Car Care Products, nanoskin autoscrub system (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-car-care-products.html)

ulrads1
07-08-2014, 10:15 PM
I use the nanoskin autoscrub medium grade wash mitt. Saves a lot of time compared to regular clay, in my experience.

Coopers ST
07-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Do you clay before or after ironx?

sayroger
07-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Do you clay before or after ironx?

I clay before. I feel that if you clay first it removes all the wax and junk on the surface exposing this stubborn iron witch lets the iron x to remove or loosen iron. Then a light clay after to do a final cleaning.

Goldcaddy
07-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Nanoskin medium will get the job done on bad contamination. If it's in decent condition then the fine is plenty.

Kengo123
07-09-2014, 01:32 AM
Nanoskin medium!

haris300
07-09-2014, 01:48 AM
I use my Nanoskin sponges and towels after decontaminating with IronX. This allows me to remove as much harmful contamination as possible before making physical contact with the paint.