PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER... Question about leather...

93fox
07-07-2014, 08:49 PM
So i have in my cart a leather cleaner and cquartz fabric & leather coating. As i said in my other post i just want to take care of the leather in my daily driver. Ive seen what happens when leather is given no attention and well i dont want any of those problems to occur to me. From what ive read and people have told me, leather requires a conditioner in order for it to be conditioned and not dry. So if i coat the seats with the cquartz coating would that still condition the seats and keep them conditioned? Or do i need to clean them, conditon them and then coat them? This is confusing me.... Any help would be very much appreciated! :xyxthumbs:

swanicyouth
07-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Conditioners are a waste of time, money, and effort on most car leather IMHO. Conditioners are for non-coated leather. The most important thing IMHO is to clean the leather frequently so it doesn't get very dirty. Just wiping it down with an interior detailer weekly will do more than a conditioner for the longevity of your leather. Since this will remove topical dirt - which is abrasive - and can cause the leather colorant to look worn.

So, the way to use F & L is clean the leather with a leather cleaner. A brush will work best here - but you need the right brush. One too firm is no good because it can instill wear marks. One to soft will not clean well. The Swissvax one is like $12 and works quite well. I'm surprised they aren't charging like $80 for it. As, it's one thing the make that is pretty unique and works quite well.

Once it's clean, wipe off any cleaning residue off the seats with DI water. Then dry the seat and coat. A MF applicator works best for applying the product IME. You will only need one or two sprays per leather panel.

This product is best left to dry overnight IME.

4bidden
07-07-2014, 11:00 PM
If the leather is already coated, what benefit do you get from a coating like the CQuartz?

93fox
07-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Conditioners are a waste of time, money, and effort on most car leather IMHO. Conditioners are for non-coated leather. The most important thing IMHO is to clean the leather frequently so it doesn't get very dirty. Just wiping it down with an interior detailer weekly will do more than a conditioner for the longevity of your leather. Since this will remove topical dirt - which is abrasive - and can cause the leather colorant to look worn.

So, the way to use F & L is clean the leather with a leather cleaner. A brush will work best here - but you need the right brush. One too firm is no good because it can instill wear marks. One to soft will not clean well. The Swissvax one is like $12 and works quite well. I'm surprised they aren't charging like $80 for it. As, it's one thing the make that is pretty unique and works quite well.

Once it's clean, wipe off any cleaning residue off the seats with DI water. Then dry the seat and coat. A MF applicator works best for applying the product IME. You will only need one or two sprays per leather panel.

This product is best left to dry overnight IME.

Thanks! To be honest the car is fairly brand new and the leather is in great condition so i am wondering if a wipe down with some leather cleaner will do the trick or just to be on the safe side get the brush and use that instead? Im sure the brush will become handy down the road...

Mizzoutiger
07-08-2014, 12:53 AM
My fav for protected leather Leather Master Strong Leather Care Kit, strong leather cleaner, Leather Master leather care, leather seat cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/strong-leather-cleaner-kit.html).

Another fav combo, clean first with Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel, interior cleaner, upholstery cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-shampoo.html) then apply Ultima Interior Guard Plus 4 oz., interior protectant, rubber & vinyl protectant, rubber dressing (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-guard-4.html)