PDA

View Full Version : Wax gone after 2-4 weeks...why?

Pages : [1] 2

'14 5.0
07-07-2014, 06:00 PM
I have a 2014 Mustang GT with silver grey metallic paint on which I regularly use meguiar's ultimate paste wax.

I used Meguire's NXT paste wax on my previous 2002 Mustang GT and it usually lasted atleast 2 months if not more. I've read that the NXT and Ultimate are comparable waxes however I can't get the Ultimate to last for more than 2-4 weeks, especially on the hood. I have not been able to find anyone else complaining about the life of this wax so I'm assuming it has something to do with the new car and/or me. Also, I typically wash the car once a week with Meguire's ultimate wash.

Keep in mind both of the vehicles are subject to the same Florida sun exposure and regular rain. Both cars are in a garage at night but exposed to the elements for almost all daylight hours.

My detailing method is simple, I clay bar any part of the car that feels "rough" using a plastic bag as a feeler (after washing and drying of course). Then I wax half of the vehicle, remove the wax, then finish the rest. I always wax in my garage in the shade, always use microfiber wax pads and rags, always apply by hand, always use the same amount of wax.

Is this wax really this crappy or does it have something to do with my technique? Do the newer cars have something in the paint that keeps them from holding wax longer?

Any opinions are welcome

CowboyTruckn
07-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Never had any issues. What basis are you determining it's gone?

'14 5.0
07-07-2014, 06:16 PM
When the car is freshly waxed a clean microfiber cloth wipes smoothly over the surface (very slick) and water beads up very well. After some weeks you can barely rub a towel over it (it just wants to roll and stick to the paint), the slickness is completely gone and it almost feels "squeaky" clean if that makes any sense. Water also creates more of a slick than beads which also leads me to believe the wax is gone or almost gone.

The roof and hood seem to go first, then the sides follow shortly after...it would make me think the sun is wearing it away by why so soon?

swanicyouth
07-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Has the paint been clayed, de-ironed, and hit with at least a paint cleaner? This will ensure you are starting with a clean surface. New cars can come with contamination from the factory.

'14 5.0
07-07-2014, 06:30 PM
When I first got the car I clay bared the entire thing, then I went over it lightly with some P21 "paintwork cleanser" and finished up with the Maguire's Ultimate paste wax. I have done everything by hand... maybe I wasn't aggressive enough?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Dr Oldz
07-07-2014, 06:31 PM
I would be sure to use a clay bar then a paint cleaner (such as Pinnacles offering). Applying wax will be your last step.

I found that Meguiars waxes never lasted long in my environment so maybe another wax is in order for you. Collinite waxes are super durable.

tpr1634
07-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Collinite 845 2-4 months or more.:buffing:

Dr Oldz
07-07-2014, 06:34 PM
When I first got the car I clay bared the entire thing, then I went over it lightly with some P21 "paintwork cleanser" and finished up with the Maguire's Ultimate paste wax. I have done everything by hand... maybe I wasn't aggressive enough?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

That is a good approach. As in my previous post, I never found Meg's waxes to last long.

'14 5.0
07-07-2014, 06:40 PM
I have been more than satisfied with the results that I get from the Meguires Ultimate it just doesn't last long enough for me...looks like it's time to start shopping.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

VP Mark
07-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Megs ultimate is a great product but won't give good durability unless layered. Consider Collinte 476 or a coating if you are looking for longer term protection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

eaglefan
07-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Put a sealant on it, blackfire wolfgang or 4 star and you will be happy you did. I tell customers that I do not recommend a wax in spring or summer, I live in florida. The pollen and dust seems to be a magnet for wax. Just my opinion

'14 5.0
07-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies everyone, looks like I'll be purchasing a sealant in the near future

77shovelhead
07-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Collinite Collinite Clollinite

The Guz
07-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Put a sealant on it, blackfire wolfgang or 4 star and you will be happy you did. I tell customers that I do not recommend a wax in spring or summer, I live in florida. The pollen and dust seems to be a magnet for wax. Just my opinion

Ultimate wax is a sealant.

I have never had issues with it but your environment is a little more extreme. Even then you should see around 3-4 months out of it. Just to let you know UW sheets better than it beads. Ultimate wash and wax does leave some wax behind it so you could also be seeing that. Never been a fan of ultimate wash and wax. Try a soap that leaves nothing behind and hit up your existing UW with some ultimate quik detailer or ultimate quik wax to give it back some life.

I personally have seen 5 months out of UW using it by itself.

If after trying this and it doesn't work then you can move over to something else.

'14 5.0
07-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Ultimate wax is a sealant.

I have never had issues with it but your environment is a little more extreme. Even then you should see around 3-4 months out of it. Just to let you know UW sheets better than it beads. Ultimate wash and wax does leave some wax behind it so you could also be seeing that. Never been a fan of ultimate wash and wax. Try a soap that leaves nothing behind and hit up your existing UW with some ultimate quik detailer or ultimate quik wax to give it back some life.

I personally have seen 5 months out of UW using it by itself.

If after trying this and it doesn't work then you can move over to something else.

That could possibly be part of the problem as well, I did switch wash brands right about the same time I went to the Maguire's Ultimate Wax...

Prior to the Maguire's wash I was using a RainX brand wash, the one with the small beads in it; I believe it is also considered a wash & wax.