PDA

View Full Version : Newbie From WI

henningmd
07-31-2007, 01:32 PM
I found this forum while I was I was searching for detailing tips & how-tos. Seems like I finally found the forum I was looking for. I have a Black Metalic 1985 Mazda RX 7 GS that I bought new off the dealers showroom floor in May of 1985. It has 66,000 miles on it and has never seen winter as it is stored in a heated garage from November to May every year. While I have washed and waxed it in the past I have never given it the attention that it deserves. I noticed that it now has water marks, light scratches, some oxidation, etching from bird hits as well as the black rubber side moldings being weathered looking with some white streaks from old wax. The wheels also are in need of attention. I decided that it was time to get serious about caring for it properly. Since I am new to this I have been trying to do research on how to go about getting it back in decent shape. Towards this end I have purchased the following and would appreciate your suggestions and/or hints on what I have purchased.
Speed Shine & Paint Cleaning Clay, The ultimate Detailing Machine, 2 6.5" Lake Country CCS foam pads(1 white polishing & 1 gray finishing pad), 1 Mini Orange Foam Polishing Pad, Hi-Temp HT-61 Smooth Cut polish, Hi-Temp HT-23 Prep Wash, Black Velvet Carnauba Wax, Sonax NTS7 Wheel Cleaner, Sonax NTS7 Tire Foam, 3 micro-fiber polish removal cloths, 3 micro-fiber wax removal cloths and 6 terry cloth drying towels. I also purchased Hi-Temp Long Term Paint Sealant for use on my daily driver (1996 Ford Windstar Mini-van).
I was planning on using up some Simonize car wash that I have for washing the vehicles.
As I said I am new to this and would like to know if I made a mistake buying these products. Has anyone used them before? Do you know of something better? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

07ImpalaSS
07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the forums.

wiscTom
07-31-2007, 03:13 PM
HenningMD,

Welcome … I’m really new to this forum and to this level of auto care, so I can’t offer any helpful advice, but I’m sure the experts will have some valuable info for you.

Nice to see another Milwaukeean here, this is a great place to learn and share ideas.

PS: When you get rolling with that new UDM, send me a PM, I’d really like to see it in action LIVE (I also have a black car).

Tom (Northwest Milwaukee)

gary26
07-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Welcome to Autogeek ! You'll get plenty of great opinions here.
gary26

dpk20x
12-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Welcome!