PDA

View Full Version : What step achieves depth?

zachjackson18
07-06-2014, 11:10 PM
I was on the hunt for the perfect wax but maybe im missing the point
does compounding or polishing actually achieve the deep depth look im looking for?

cleanmycorolla
07-06-2014, 11:28 PM
Polishing with a nice cutting product and finishing down is 99.9% of the look.

FUNX650
07-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Creating "Depth"

•When dealing with BC/CC paint systems...
Making the CC as defect-free/smooth-as-possible, will:

-Allow the underlying BC (color-coat paint-film) to be discerned as having "depth"---I will call it gloss---if there is the proper lighting, at the proper viewing angle, for the paint to be viewed.
-This visual-phenomenon is made available through the correct abrasion/polishing/burnishing products and processes...and lighting sources.

•The "jetting factor" might be the terminology applied to a certain "eye of the beholder" appearance...said to be caused by application of particular car-care products, such as carnauba waxes.

Bob

VISITOR
07-06-2014, 11:43 PM
I was on the hunt for the perfect wax but maybe im missing the point
does compounding or polishing actually achieve the deep depth look im looking for?

without proper prep, not only does it affect the look, but your lsp may not last very long if at all. do it right from the start...

zachjackson18
07-06-2014, 11:44 PM
I have a porter cable I been using m105 and m205 but wasn't able to get all the swirls out they helped but some are still on my paint finish
its a 02 f150 the clearcoats hard I believe I may not be going slow enough.

Pureshine
07-06-2014, 11:49 PM
You should have no problem with taking out swirls with that set. What pads are you using and with what product?

zachjackson18
07-07-2014, 12:08 AM
I use orange pads

antti@561detailing
07-07-2014, 12:14 AM
Prep is the most important step...no wax sealant or coating will give the "look" unless prep is done. .... you may have to step up and use mf cutting pads to get started...
This is test spot with no wax or sealant or anything...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2250/mercedesbenzreflection.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/75769)
so prep is needed to get the "look"

Tato
07-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Much has been said, and I agree with the above. Prep. is the key, always.

Since the claying step where you start creating a smooth foundation, polishing to a high gloss is, like said above, represents 99.9% of your end results.

Working over your smooth base, you may want to remove the defects (compounding / heavy polishing step), and whenever needed, polish the surface finely, to a high gloss (polishing / finishing step).

At least from my experience, when I achieve perfection by polishing, LSP used adds little to the final look.

It'll all depend on what color/paint you're working on.

Some harder paints with lighter colors like silver may get that final look after a good compounding step with your orange pads.

Some softer, and darker colors (like black) may get that final look after a secondary or tertiary polishing step. It's not a rule, since I've finished hard black paint with a compounding step many times, however, for the soft, I had to go softer as I could using a finishing polish and a red LC flat pad (one of the softest pads possible).

A good finishing polish (like Menzerna SF4000 or SF4500) paired with the softest pad you have will give you the finish desired when needed further refinement, specially on softer paint systems.

The LSP will be the icing on the cake.

Paul A.
07-07-2014, 11:19 AM
For me personally, jewelling the finish to maximize the surface condition is 95% of the look. I do think the LSP adds that final glazy, glossy addition of brilliance.

I notice it makes it look just a tiny bit better and then goes down from there after the initial application. Some LSP's even "brighten" up the next day after application.

allenk4
07-07-2014, 04:25 PM
You will never have Real "Depth" as long as you have Orange Peel