PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bay Detail: what should I tape off?

olenderc
07-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Provided here is a picture of my engine I am hoping to detail next weekend. It will be my first time really deep cleaning my engine bay and would like to make sure I don't damage anything.

http://i.imgur.com/XKYkBWf.jpg

Aside from the obvious alternator, is there anything else you would tape up? Fuse box is on the right above the battery but seems pretty tightly secured, not sure if people would still wrap that up or not. Air intake is to the left but encased in it's own compartment, so I don't think that needs to be wrapped up.

I'm planning on using P21S Total Auto Wash and spray the engine compartment down, agitate what I can with a detail brush as well as a Daytona Speed Master brush. Then I plan on rinsing off: mist off or would it be okay to use slightly more water such as in "shower" mode on most garden hose nozzles?

Seem okay or am I missing something?

Eric
07-06-2014, 04:40 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50352-how-detail-your-engine-like-professional.html

For the record, I've never bothered covering things when detailing my own cars. I simply rinse, spray the APC/degreaser, agitate if needed and then spray it down with the pressure washer. With few exceptions, the electronics in engine bays are designed to face the elements (including getting wet) and as long as you exercise some common sense you have little to worry about.

Disconnecting the battery and discharging the electrical system is said to help. I've only disconnected the battery.

sproketser
07-06-2014, 04:52 PM
It s basically what I m doing myself , unless a Classic ride .

Vtextc
07-06-2014, 10:35 PM
I don't tape/cover off any components either. I use my electric PW, albeit from a distance so as not to force water into any parts. Just use a little common sense as suggested above, keep the pressure down (shower setting should be just fine), and don't spend too much time soaking the engine with uncessary water.

Good luck!
Asif

808_detail_nut
07-06-2014, 11:00 PM
I don't tape off either, I do however start the engine as I rinse it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

VISITOR
07-06-2014, 11:37 PM
what they said... ^

olenderc
07-07-2014, 12:34 AM
No ones ever had a problem just hosing everything down and not covering up a single thing? Scares the heck out of me but I'll have to give it a whirl I guess. Definitely going to cover the alternator and MAF sensor just for piece of mind.

Hazcat
07-07-2014, 12:52 AM
Think of driving down the road in the rain. Your engine gets wet. Just don't blast water directly at electrical components with a pressure washer and don't saturate insulation on the hood. Best wishes on a successful engine detail!

Harry Da Hamster
07-07-2014, 02:02 AM
The engine is exposed to the elements. Rain and dirt come in thru the grill and undercarriage. Generally speaking it's ok to rinse the engine. As with anything detailing related, always use precaution. I would not use a pressure washer though.

rmagnus
07-07-2014, 02:03 AM
I agree modern engines are durable. That said I always cover the alternator.