PDA

View Full Version : GTechniq C4 Question

VP Mark
07-05-2014, 07:42 PM
For those of you that have used C4, how far does this product really go? I got contacted about a Jeep Rubicon with badly faded trim and was wondering if the 30ml bottle would be sufficient to coat all of the trim.

Also, any hints and techniques applying this stuff? I've used plenty of trim products but never this particular product. They are looking for a semi permanent solution.

Thanks! Feed back please

MarkD51
07-05-2014, 08:23 PM
For those of you that have uarsed C4, how far does this product really go? I got contacted about a Jeep Rubicon with badly faded trim and was wondering if the 30ml bottle would be sufficient to coat all of the trim.

Also, any hints and techniques applying this stuff? I've used plenty of trim products but never this particular product. They are looking for a semi permanent solution.

Thanks! Feed back please

I would say, by comparing C4 to Carpro DLX, the Carpro DLX IMO seems to be a Ceramic Type "Coating" which seems to me to sit on top of the part treated.

C4 seems to be more than this I've found. This product seems to imbed, and permeate further into the part, becoming one with the part. The carrier solvent and this product seems more penetrating to me. In other words, this product seems more than "semi-permanent".

I would suggest to clean all parts previously with a good APC Cleaner, getting parts as good as they can look beforehand. I'd probably stay away from Alcohols, Prep Solvents, or other oddities like Naptha, or Paint Thinner to prep.

I've also foud with many of these types of products like Coatings, WOWA's, DLX, the lavish tendency to over apply.

As some other users would probably say, yes, the small bottle should be enough to treat all trim on something like the Jeep.

If in doubt, then prioritize what parts should get such treatments, and use something else for less important parts.
Mark

VP Mark
07-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. The 30 ml is the largest size of the C4 I've seen?

I will be coating all of the trim (which is a lot) on every side. They will be paying for the full nine yards so they will get it.

Just really do not want to run out of product before I'm done. Would be a hassle to only do part of the Jeep then have to reschedule to finish the job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

BrianT
07-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Just for usage comparison, I used an entire 15ml bottle on Ford F150 (cowl, bumper, handles, lower fender trim).

VP Mark
07-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Just for usage comparison, I used an entire 15ml bottle on Ford F150 (cowl, bumper, handles, lower fender trim).

Wow. Thanks for that. I might order 2 30 ml bottles just to be safe.

Audios S6
07-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Wow. Thanks for that. I might order 2 30 ml bottles just to be safe.

I would. I find it looks better on textured plastics than smooth. It is very easy to over apply and get streaking on smooth plastic.

I haven't used it on a huge scale like your situation, but I can say that you want to apply and wipe off almost immediately, very challenging when working on big pieces.

VP Mark
07-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Would a makeup sponge be a good applicator? Seems like normal yellow foam would soak up too much product.

MarkD51
07-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Would a makeup sponge be a good applicator? Seems like normal yellow foam would soak up too much product.

Probably the best applicator would be the Carpro Microfiber Suede. I didn't care much for the GTechniq little round "Makeup Discs"

I agree, that perhaps two bottles would be wise if these parts are large, which I'm assuming a side cladding of some sort?

Audios S6
07-06-2014, 01:02 PM

They should come with a couple applicators. The micro suede would probably be the best choice, but I haven't used them. I use makeup applicators from walgreens.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/07/jehequty.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/07/epezyzet.jpg

Rsurfer
07-06-2014, 01:39 PM
They should come with a couple applicators. The micro suede would probably be the best choice, but I haven't used them. I use makeup applicators from walgreens.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/07/jehequty.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/07/epezyzet.jpg

:agree: Toss them when your done. Some brands work better than others.

oldmodman
07-06-2014, 06:36 PM
The best application pad method I have found is pretty simple.

Take the softest small sponge you can find. Put in a very thin plastic baggie. Then wrap the CarPro suede clothe around it. The sponge lets it shape itself around the surface and the plastic keeps the product from soaking into the sponge and being wasted. And the CarPro suede is extremely soft and will prevent the application from inducing any scratches into the surface you are working on.

VP Mark
07-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Oldmodman,

That sounds like a pro technique there. I'm hoping to get this done by the end of the week and will update with pics once it happens. I'm going to look at the Jeep and secure the job tomorrow.

Ronyx
07-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Would a makeup sponge be a good applicator? . . .

I've used the small triangular makeup sponges and those worked well for me. I really liked the way you can get into corners with the pointed part of the sponge. Then for larger sections you can use it like a foam paint brush.