PDA

View Full Version : Audi gloss black B pillars

builthatch
07-05-2014, 01:24 PM
uniform marring and some random hairline scratches.

i was told these are actually clear coated, not straight gloss plastic.

clean, tape off outer edges/trim, DA with Griot's 3" orange pads and OPT Hyper spray polish, check work (will probably need a few passes), DA with Griot's 3" black pads and OPT Finish. check work. prep and coat with Opti-Coat.

anyone perfected these before on an Audi? i did my MB and they came out sensational.

Audios S6
07-05-2014, 02:03 PM
M205, ff3000 and sf4500 have all worked for me in the past on a 1999 a6 and 2002 s6. I actually used the orange 3m pad that comes with the headlight kits with a drill. OC2.0 has made a huge difference.

Mizzoutiger
07-06-2014, 10:25 AM
On my Q7, I use Menz SI1500, SF4000 then SF4500. This guy used FG400 then SPF Dealership attacks a brand new 2014 Audi S4! (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/578287-Dealership-attacks-a-brand-new-2014-Audi-S4)!

builthatch
07-06-2014, 12:23 PM
thanks guys. i tried the process i used on my MB and it came out really nice. it's not 100% flawless...there is slight marring under LED lighting...maybe i could have stayed in it for double the passes on the last step, i'm not sure. i still have to do the other side (i had a pad explode which caused a massive cleanup delay) so i'll try to go longer on the other side with the finishing step and see if i can get it even better.

Matt-erhorn
07-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Out of curiosity, how did you perfect the MB? I have some marring and straight line "swirls" on my C250's pillars and I can't seem to get them looking good again.

builthatch
07-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Out of curiosity, how did you perfect the MB? I have some marring and straight line "swirls" on my C250's pillars and I can't seem to get them looking good again.

same basic process as in my first post but i had to use 4" pads at that time because those were the smallest. i think i used green cyclo 4" on a DA with Hyper polish and then Lake Country gray with Finish. i felt like the MB pillars corrected faster BUT there are some variables here that could have factored into these taking longer.

i spoke to a very reputable pro about this and he said his process for absolute perfection is Megs mf with HD polish and then black foam with HD polish, using a Rupes 21. i don't have any of that so i had to make do. i'm so curious to see if i had stayed in it longer with the black pad if i could have gotten them absolutely perfect under LED light...which is hard!

but i'm satisfied with the side i did. at least they are coated now so they will be less inclined to scratch as easy.

Matt-erhorn
07-06-2014, 03:14 PM
same basic process as in my first post but i had to use 4" pads at that time because those were the smallest. i think i used green cyclo 4" on a DA with Hyper polish and then Lake Country gray with Finish. i felt like the MB pillars corrected faster BUT there are some variables here that could have factored into these taking longer.

i spoke to a very reputable pro about this and he said his process for absolute perfection is Megs mf with HD polish and then black foam with HD polish, using a Rupes 21. i don't have any of that so i had to make do. i'm so curious to see if i had stayed in it longer with the black pad if i could have gotten them absolutely perfect under LED light...which is hard!

but i'm satisfied with the side i did. at least they are coated now so they will be less inclined to scratch as easy.

Ok cool I'll have to give some of that a try. Don't have a lot of that stuff but I'll try with similar products for now an see what I get.

builthatch
07-06-2014, 04:07 PM
here's how the one side of the truck looked prior
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w152/builthatch/AUDI/bpillarbefore_zps048e4126.jpg~original

and then now they turned out.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w152/builthatch/AUDI/bpillarafter_zps3c349eaa.jpg~original

it was parked outside overnight and today so it had some dust and such on the pillars when i went to go take an after picture. i wiped them lightly with a MF and Opti-Clean but they were warm so you can see a little bit of streaking in the after pics.

i will take afters with an LED whenever i get the truck back inside to do the other side.

lawrenceSA
07-07-2014, 03:31 AM
I have dealt with many of these on the VW's and Audi's I detail.

Usually I only need Menzerna PF2500 on 4" white pad for correction and Menzerna SF4000 4" grey pad for finishing off.

Sometimes though Menzerna FG400 on an 4" orange pad is needed for ones that are in really bad shape to begin with.