PDA

View Full Version : Can this be fixed?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

V924
07-05-2014, 07:50 AM
So im trying to figure out whats causing this, I did a little wetsanding with 3,000 grit then I buffed everything out then I went over it with a clay bar with polishing compound after I finished with some nu finish. Now it looks like this?

Setec Astronomy
07-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure exactly what it is you want to "fix". Are you referring to the dull, swirled appearance? You'd better give us a little more detail about how you sanded (did you just use your hand, a block, a flexible block?), what you "buffed" with (machine or hand, "buffing" compound, applicator/pad), what polish you used (same questions as for "buffing"), what kind of clay and what kind of lube was used with it, and whether you have ever done anything like this before.

HD.Detailing
07-05-2014, 08:20 AM
^^this
what products used?

V924
07-05-2014, 08:57 AM
I used 3M with a motor buffer and a microfiber pad, I just bought a sheet of sandpaper and sanded. Then I went over it with a clay bar with tutrtle polishing compound then I applied nu finish.

V924
07-05-2014, 08:59 AM
I went over it with a clay bar with turtle polishing compound, then I finished with nu finish.

GenesisCoupe
07-05-2014, 09:12 AM
and whether you have ever done anything like this before.

most important question in that post..

I don't think you really knew how to properly approach the car...

What was the need for wetsand? And why Nu Finish?

V924
07-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Because it was all scratched up nu finish seemed better?

jsgntulok
07-05-2014, 09:25 AM
"I used 3M with a motor buffer and a microfiber pad," You used 3M what?. Meaning, what 3M product did you use. What "motor buffer" did you use? Was it rotary or dual action?

"I just bought a sheet of sandpaper and sanded." From this statement I conclude you used your hands/fingertips for sanding rather than use a sanding block. Not good since using your hand/fingertips to not apply even pressure as you sand.

"Then I went over it with a clay bar with turtle polishing compound" From this I conclude you used the turtle polishing compound as a lubricant for the clay bar. This is not a correct method. Clay polishing is a separate step and done with a proper lubricating spray. This process is usually followed by compounding/polishing either by hand or using a rotary or dual action polisher.

"then I applied nu finish" This is probably the only step you did correctly.

Now, as to your question "Can this be fixed?" Yes it can. Anything can be fixed with proper technique and sometimes enough money put into the process. It is hard to tell from your pix just what damage you may have inflicted on your vehicle's paint. The fix for your vehicle may be as simple as a thorough wash to remove the NuFinish and and possibly clay residue left behind from your clay bar with turtle polishing compound process. Follow this cleaning process with proper polishing, either by hand or by machine, then reapply NuFinish. There is also the possibility you have done major damage to your vehicle's paint from wet sanding that repainting may be required.

V924
07-05-2014, 09:29 AM
It was a rotary buffer, use I used my finger tips to sand.

GenesisCoupe
07-05-2014, 09:30 AM
1. define motor buffer

2. Define scratched up (swirls?)

3. which microfiber pad?

4. what speed, how many section passes?

So that you know, you have to wash the car, THEN clay it..then you can polish the car..Seems like you did it backwards.

V924
07-05-2014, 09:41 AM
6" Compact Palm Polisher (http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-compact-palm-polisher-90219.html)

Long horizontal scratches

It looks like this 90% of the time its only when the sun hits it the car looks foggy and I used 3M Compuesto Pulidor.

jsgntulok
07-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Where are you located? Perhaps there is a forum member nearby who might have time to help you out.

V924
07-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Chicago area

Marius@F40
07-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Wow ...so im going to be brutally honest with you .. its *%#ked up ..First thing is first : you don't clay bar with compound especially with turtle wax stuff ( low grade product ) # 2 : why sand the clear then buff then clay bar ? #3: never use your fingers always use a sanding block with soapy water for lubrication same goes for clay bar .

here are the correct steps :
1 wash car and dry it
2 clay bar with proper clay lube
3 sand out scratches that you can feel with your fingernail (2000 grit with a sanding block)
4 Buff with a good quality compound ie. (wolfgang uber compound) on a rotary buffer using a foam compound pad
5 use a swirl remover on a soft black foam pad to take the haze and holograms out that you put in sanding and buffing
6 finish off with a fine polish on a white pad
7 give a good wax

i hope this helps you dude .. im sorry if i sound a bit harsh but a lot of the guys here are really nice and dont want to be mean but this job you screwed up big time and on top of all that its a black car ... so i hope you take this with a grain of salt and perhaps do some research before you tackle a job you have no experience with..

Having said all that you came to the right place to find the right way to do things so i hope that you will learn a thing or two being on this forum and check out all the really good products that are avaiable for purchase ... Having the right product is half the battle ..the rest is in the tools ..

good luck ..

V924
07-05-2014, 10:16 AM
So how should I go about making this car look "decent". What exactly is causing the fogginess how do I get rid of it?