PDA

View Full Version : beating a dead horse......again

Imacanyone
07-04-2014, 03:57 PM
question for Mike Phillips or other PBL coating users. i coated my car lat week and it looks sweet but........ i have an itch to top it with 845. would it be a waste of time or will i get "some" benefit from it. i read alot of conflicting opinions and wonder if there is a de facto answer to this question.

thanks AutoGeekers

jim

Kamakaz1961
07-04-2014, 04:18 PM
IMO I say go for it!! It couldn't hurt. I put a sealant on 1st before I put on a wax. This is the same concept. More protection and bringing out the gloss with Collinite.

Eric@CherryOnTop
07-04-2014, 04:19 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/05/ze8yzumy.jpg

There is no benefit to topping a coating with a wax. You will destroy the properties of the coating. If you wanted to wax you should have just waxed and not done the coating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
07-04-2014, 04:38 PM

There is no benefit to topping a coating with a wax. You will destroy the properties of the coating. If you wanted to wax you should have just waxed and not done the coating.

I love the pic here and its true a pic is worth a thousand words but I'll keep it to a minimum. A coating gives you outstanding protection with minimum effort as far as maintenance, so why make it complicated? I have DGNCC on my car and have only applied AW a couple times during a rinseless wash for the hell of it since its A) so easy and B) is made by the same mfg as my coating is.

With coatings you get hell of a glossy look on a properly prepped surface and as usual this rule still applies, prep work, prep work and prep work, THIS is key!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Kamakaz1961
07-04-2014, 05:01 PM
With PBL Coating you can add a wax on top of the coating. There is another thread that talks about this same issue.

But to settle all arguments....I do not use the PBL coating system. I use the sealant and wax method.

Kaaa Plaaaa
Said the Klingon Warrior!!!!.....LOL

Imacanyone
07-04-2014, 05:02 PM

thats why i asked...... if the consensus is there is not a clear benefit i won't waste my time nor product. it looks awesome with the PBL coating

Imacanyone
07-04-2014, 05:04 PM

i didn't necessarily want to wax, it was a question i had so i asked

AutowerxDetailing
07-04-2014, 05:19 PM
The question is: how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

Coating to protect paint, sealant to protect coating, wax to protect sealant, etc, etc.

I say coat it and enjoy the benefits. I've had CQuartz Finest on my wife's DD for nearly 2 years. Topped with Reload a couple times for S&Gs and it still looks great. For me the benefit of a coating is being able to enjoy a shiny car with minimal maintenance. Frequently waxing/coating/polishing sort of defeats that purpose.

Of course, to each their own. Do what makes you happy!

Sent from my LG-LS720 using AG Online

silverfox
07-04-2014, 06:51 PM
This topping a coating with wax nonsense is getting old already....so I suggest we adopt captain Piccard's caption to be the only answer given henceforth. No words necessary.

Klasse Act
07-04-2014, 06:56 PM
This topping a coating with wax nonsense is getting old already....so I suggest we adopt captain Piccard's caption to be the only answer given henceforth. No words necessary.

Sounds good to me, LOL!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

kevincwelch
07-04-2014, 07:28 PM
I think there are two separate questions: 1) will topping add benefit and 2) will topping add to the appearance?

I'd say "yes" to the first and "maybe" to the second.

If the purpose of a coating, wax and sealant is to protect the paint, they all do that to varying degrees. Adding multiple sacrificial layers won't hurt the clear coat and it will probably help in the end. Having said that, the relative thickness of the coating compared to the wax or sealant is like comparing the thickness of the Earth's mantle to the crust. The wax or sealant will benefit you, but probably not that much. Waxing and sealing are easy, so, sure do it. Now, the final layer may not display the awesome hydrophobicity of the coating, so from an action standpoint, topping your coating may decrease visible performance of your coating.

As for appearance, this is always subjective. Can't answer that as many will say it helps and as many will say it adds nothing.

The basic point is that coatings do just fine on their own... Especially opticoat. Topping them will help to a limited extent but may not be worth the effort.

Sent via mobile device.

pld
07-04-2014, 08:33 PM

The little one agrees with you!!