PDA

View Full Version : Contamination two weeks after new wax?

MLee
07-04-2014, 12:46 PM
First post here after hours of reading. First let me say thanks to all who contribute so people like me who are new to detailing can learn the right way. I have an issue with contamination on newly waxed/treated cars. Four weeks ago I put Duragloss Enviroshield on our new car (<2000 miles) and two weeks ago I put one of layer of each Auto Finesse Desire/Illusion on our older car. I clayed both and also polished the older one and both were smooth to the touch using the baggie test before application. I washed them today and both felt OK to the bare touch but the baggies test revealed both have contamination again. We live in the country just outside Louisville with a gravel driveway, both are DD about 30 miles a day, garage at night and the average commercial parking lot during the day. I've been trying different waxes and sealants to see what I prefer, but at this rate why do I care how long anything lasts if I have to clay every month or so and reapply? Am I being too OCD and worrying about the results of the baggie test? Both bead as expected and look good. I enjoy working on the cars but both are SUVs and take a fair amount of time to detail the right way. My main goal is to keep the new Mercedes as nice as long as possible and thinking ahead to the winter, plus I just like driving cars that look as good as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kamakaz1961
07-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Man I feel for ya!! I will Clay my car about 1 time every 2 months regardless if it needs it or not. You car IMO will collect stuff that only clay can take care of. Now might I suggest using a Nanoskin Sponge. That cuts down claying by at least 1/2 the time. This is the reason why I will clay my car about 1 time every 2 months because it is so easy.

You do not have to worry about clay sticking to your hands and if you drop the sponge just wipe clean and continue.

I prefer the Blue Sponge (fine) as it does everything I need and based on what you are stating on your thread, my opinion is that is all you need too. If you want a more aggressive sponge, the Yellow one is more aggressive. There are other sponges available from different companies, however, I can't comment on them as I have not used them. I am real happy with my Nanoskin Blue sponge.

As for product, I think that is fine. As for the baggie test, I agree about cleaning, however, I just make sure I clay (Nanoskin) 1 time every 2 months. That way I will not drive myself crazy in cleaning.

IMO dust will collect the moment you drive the car 1/2 Block for any reason. Some fine dust will stick to the paint and only clay will fix that.

Try the sponge...once you do and you see how easy it is to use....the clay will become obsolete.

BTW, I use Menzerna Power Lock for my Sealant and top it off with a quality wax. Right now I have Synergy on it and will see how it beads and sheets. So far, it is holding fine.

Good luck and Happy 4th

CJ

TuxedoTaurus
07-04-2014, 01:10 PM
For the coated car you might want to look into CarPro Iron X Snow Soap, paint decontamination soap (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-snow-soap-liter.html) or CarPro Reset Intensive Car Shampoo (http://www.autogeek.net/cp-31.html) for maintenance washes as the are designed to remove contaminants on coated vehicles without jeopardizing the coating.

07-04-2014, 03:51 PM
First post here after hours of reading. First let me say thanks to all who contribute so people like me who are new to detailing can learn the right way. I have an issue with contamination on newly waxed/treated cars. Four weeks ago I put Duragloss Enviroshield on our new car (<2000 miles) and two weeks ago I put one of layer of each Auto Finesse Desire/Illusion on our older car. I clayed both and also polished the older one and both were smooth to the touch using the baggie test before application. I washed them today and both felt OK to the bare touch but the baggies test revealed both have contamination again. We live in the country just outside Louisville with a gravel driveway, both are DD about 30 miles a day, garage at night and the average commercial parking lot during the day. I've been trying different waxes and sealants to see what I prefer, but at this rate why do I care how long anything lasts if I have to clay every month or so and reapply? Am I being too OCD and worrying about the results of the baggie test? Both bead as expected and look good. I enjoy working on the cars but both are SUVs and take a fair amount of time to detail the right way. My main goal is to keep the new Mercedes as nice as long as possible and thinking ahead to the winter, plus I just like driving cars that look as good as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

My suggestion would be to apply Cquartz UK coating...

Klasse Act
07-04-2014, 05:04 PM
I use my Speedy Prep towel (fine grade) once a month as a part of my regular maintence routine and it works out great, clean as you go!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Kamakaz1961
07-04-2014, 06:05 PM
I use my Speedy Prep towel (fine grade) once a month as a part of my regular maintence routine and it works out great, clean as you go!

HA!! Finally!!!! We agree on something!!!!.....LOL I like my sponge!!! You keep your towel.....OK!!!!! Mine is FINE Grade too!!!!!.......Ha!! We agreed on something!!!...LOL!! All kidding aside have an awesome day Klasse Act!! Happy 4th!

:bash: :bolt:

MLee
07-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the tips. I thought because you would normally use a speedy prep towel or a Nanoskin mitt before polishing and applying wax or a sealant it would remove part of the protection, but if it doesn't then problem solved!

Klasse Act
07-04-2014, 07:02 PM
HA!! Finally!!!! We agree on something!!!!.....LOL I like my sponge!!! You keep your towel.....OK!!!!! Mine is FINE Grade too!!!!!.......Ha!! We agreed on something!!!...LOL!! All kidding aside have an awesome day Klasse Act!! Happy 4th!

:bash: :bolt:

I will be getting a medium grade sponge at some point as my fine grade Speedy Prep towel doesn't remove as much I thought it did, thanks to the "baggie test".

DetailKitty
07-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the tips. I thought because you would normally use a speedy prep towel or a Nanoskin mitt before polishing and applying wax or a sealant it would remove part of the protection, but if it doesn't then problem solved!

Yeah I thought the same thing?

asalesagent912
07-04-2014, 09:52 PM
all i can tell you is i first tried the baggie test a couple of weeks ago the was not pleasantly surprised. i have tried it on cars that i just finished using nano skin on the DA. and felt the grit doing the baggie test. also tried it on my garage queen that never even sees rain. it failed. so dont
drive yourself nuts with it. i have learned to just feel with my hand

The Critic
07-05-2014, 12:36 AM
It's an issue with your environment. In those situations, washing more frequently is your only defense towards contamination sticking onto the paint. The more frequently that you wash, the less often you'll have to clay.

MLee
07-05-2014, 07:01 AM
I'm washing both once a week so while I agree with you Critic I'm not sure how practical washing more often is. I may just have to deal with it like asalesagent912 suggests. I know it's there as I can feel it but I also need to realize they are DD. I'm leaning towards a clay and wax once a month. Thanks again for the suggestions.