PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge (large order)...Am I missing anything?

Goin Rogue
07-04-2014, 12:42 AM
I've decided to take the plunge and want to see if I am missing any products. Here is what I am about to purchase:

CarPro Iron X Iron Remover 500 ml.
Meguiars M105 Ultra-Cut Compound 8 oz.
Meguiars M205 Ultra Finishing Polish 8 oz.
Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches
Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate 5"
Griots Garage Polisher Club Kit
Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice! (2 Orange, 2 White, 2 Black)

I have soap, WETS, WDGS 3.0, glass cleaner, MF towels, tire dressing, Mothers APC, Mothers VRL, Folex, and other misc items.

The vehicles I will be detailing to start are:
'14 Honda CRV - Basque Red Pearl
'14 Nissan Rogue - Pearl White
'06 Saturn Ion - Silver
'?? Honda del Sol - Red (repainted)

I have a '97 Honda Accord green that will be a practice car.

I was debating between the Griots kit vs the PC beginners kit. Is the Griots kit a good starter?

Also I read somewhere on the forums that you can ask AGO to substitute 5.5" pads with the kits instead of the 6.5" pads. Is this true?

I appreciate your input! Thanks in advance! Feed back please

07-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Imo, I'd go with the GG6 because of the lifetime warranty and add the following:

Additional 6 pack of 5.5" pads (3 Orange, 3 white)
Menzerna FG400 32oz
Menzerna SF4000 32oz
Clay bar & lube???
Foam pad brush

If you're going to be working on basically 5 cars, 8oz of compound /polish is not going to be enough...

Goin Rogue
07-04-2014, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the response.

I do have a Meg clay bar kit and QD.

goldenlight
07-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Don't forget the Grit Guards and 2 buckets from the Bigbox stores.

Goin Rogue
07-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Don't forget the Grit Guards and 2 buckets from the Bigbox stores.
I've got them, I didn't want to list everything or else the post would've been so long.

Should I replace the Megs Twins with the Menz FG/SF or add those in addition?

BrandonS
07-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Skip the 105/205 go with menzerna The blackfire/wolfgang and menzerna lines are far easier to use and get just as good of results in my experience. I have used all of them on at least several cars after doing research on proper techniques. I would go with a flex 3401 if budget allows. Still easy to use and has the ability to correct most anything. I love mine and rarely need a rotary unless I am doing a boat. Good luck! This place becomes and addiction.

Lowejackson
07-04-2014, 03:17 PM
The Meguiars and Menzerna polishes will work in a slightly different way to each other. Both are good and will give great results. I prefer the versatility and simplicity of the Meguiars. There is a high degree of personal preference when choosing between two good brands like Megs and Menz so just buy either and then work out how to maximise your technique to get the best results.

There is a lot of wisdom in buying a larger bottle of polish but in the first instance I would buy one of the 8oz bottles to try before committing to a larger and more expensive bottle. The other advantage in buying small is you may (or may not) find something like Megs 205 will do almost everything you want if the paint is soft.

Ncs0816
07-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Clay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the response.

I do have a Meg clay bar kit and QD.

Clay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got it...

goldenlight
07-05-2014, 07:03 AM
both polishes are good. they use different technologies to get the job done. Meguiars uses Smat and Merenza uses Dat..

I never used any polish based on DAT technology. So I can't comment. I have heard Smat is easier to learn, but its going to come down to preference of what you like best.

Find something you like and go with that. Mabye Merenza has a smaller bottle like Meguairs.

geekdout
07-06-2014, 12:23 AM
Your off to a great start. Wolfgang's sealant is a great product but I would think about ordering another LSP if that's the only one you have. It may not be something you need but its fun to experiment.

molarman
07-07-2014, 09:39 AM
its a personal thing; I like the wolfgang swirl remover 3.0, finishing glaze, and sealant; had a porter cable , then bought a flex; the flex is much better imo and well worth the extra