PDA

View Full Version : Black junk on inside of 1 wheel

Tonya
07-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Hey guys what is this on my wheel? I have some Amazing Roll of on the way and DP wheel cleaner on the way. Do you think that will get it off? It is hard to reach. Any idea what it is? It's only on one wheel. :confused:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x232/Tonya_A_Oates/Landscapecar066-1.jpg

Bigfoot
07-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Might be bake-on brakedust? Asphalt maybe? If you try chemicals, and they don't work, yo ucan always use some old clay and try to remove it. Most of the stuff I've seen like that, clay has taken care of it...

HighEndDetail
07-30-2007, 09:37 PM
From the pic, it looks like either road junk. Or brake dust, does it feel ruff. You might be able to take a small piece of clay and clay it off. And this brush works great for getting into the spoke area. Deep Reach Wire Wheel Brushes (http://www.autogeek.net/derewiwhbr.html)

Ong~Bak
07-30-2007, 09:41 PM
I can not see it that well getting older and starting to need glasses
but if I was to guess maybe tar or asphalt oil ? leaky wheel seal grease?
Amazing Roll-Off should take that right off :)

:cheers:

ltoman
07-30-2007, 09:45 PM
yah i think you can get it off.
ed knows his stuff.

Tonya
07-30-2007, 09:49 PM
I can not see it that well getting older and starting to need glasses
but if I was to guess maybe tar or asphalt oil ? leaky wheel seal grease?
Amazing Roll-Off should take that right off :)

It doesn't seem to be tar or asphalt, plus there is none on the car. Nope, it's not brake dust. Now, leaky wheel seal grease? :confused: .....Maybe. If Amazing Roll Off doesn't work I will let you guys know. Plus, get a better pic.

hispeed
07-30-2007, 10:32 PM
It doesn't seem to be tar or asphalt, plus there is none on the car. Nope, it's not brake dust. Now, leaky wheel seal grease? :confused: .....Maybe. If Amazing Roll Off doesn't work I will let you guys know. Plus, get a better pic.

For all the hype Amazing Roll Off has been getting lately, it had better work!:D

Ong~Bak
07-30-2007, 10:46 PM

You may need to use a brush on that and high water pressure
I will be surprised if Roll-off does not take it off

D
07-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Looks like a job for PB Spray and Rinse. But I think it will need a brush still. DP wheel gel isnt that strong compared to PB. Amazing Roll Off is somewhere in between.

Tonya
07-31-2007, 09:29 PM
I have an order that should be here thursday. However, my husband will be taking the car to NC for a well deserved vacation. ;) So I will have to wait until he returns. I will let you guys know how the AR worked in a weeks or so. I was hoping the shipment would get here before he left, but no such luck.

BlackObs
07-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Hmm, I've got the same thing on my wheels, just less of it. A bunch of little black dots that don't feel rough or anything, but some of them scrape off with a thumbnail. Foam soap and a good rinse didn't faze them, nor did Pinnacle Gel Wheel Cleaner and all the scrubbing I could muster with an EZ Detail Brush.
I'll try clay tomorrow (that didn't occur to me today), and if I discover any clever solution in the meantime, I'll report back to you.

Tonya
08-01-2007, 09:50 PM
OK thanks!

scoobnewb007
08-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Tonya,

Did your car recently get some undercoating done?
I don't remeber where I read about some person got undercoating to protect their car from the salt they lay on the road.
I remember correctly they had to use some gasoline to remove that stuff, I will pm you the link when i find it.

Al-53
08-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Tonya..did they spray any rust preventive under coating on the car...Brake dust would not be confined to the one area like that..the wheel weights are clean and also areas around it....try some bug and tar remover on it see if it starts to remove it...

AL

Tonya
08-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Ok Thanks everyone! My husband took the car out of town for a few days. I will let you know how it went when he gets back.