PDA

View Full Version : First job Help - 2011 Black VW TDI Wagon

Pages : [1] 2

Borsig
07-03-2014, 01:39 PM
So my first post - hopefully I can find some help here.

After doing some reading on the forum, I bought the harbor freight DA poliser for $49. Figured it would give me a good start.

I plan on getting a 5" backing plate for it as suggested.

The car I need to work on is a 2011 VW TDI sportwagen. Its my daily driver and has 90K on it already. The car has never really been waxed. Theres some minor stuff all over it, water spots, and alot of little scratcehs by the door handles. Theres also a couple of larger moderate scratches.

The car is black.

What products would you recommend (as in a kit) to start? I was looking at the Meguairs 105/205 becasue I wasnt sure that the ultimate compound would be enough for the scratches. Im scared to damage the finish as well by using too harsh a system.

What wax should I follow up with? This is a DD so, I dont want to spend show car money on it, but I would like it to look nice again and be protected.

I was looking at maybe gettting a kit from auto geek with the supplies I need at their next large sale.

David Hayward
07-03-2014, 02:09 PM
If you haven't bought pads yet just get the meguiars microfiber kit. Gets you and upgraded backing plate pads and compound and polish. If this car is anything like all the newer vw's I've done the microfiber cutting pad will finish out great and the polishing pad will refine it a little more.

David Hayward
07-03-2014, 02:09 PM
From there you could use a sealant or wax of your choice.

Just02896
07-03-2014, 02:24 PM
If you haven't bought pads yet just get the meguiars microfiber kit. Gets you and upgraded backing plate pads and compound and polish. If this car is anything like all the newer vw's I've done the microfiber cutting pad will finish out great and the polishing pad will refine it a little more.

This is solid advice! I've been getting great results on hard clear coat using Meg's MF cutting pads and Meg's correction compound. Then I finish off with foam pads and Menzerna or Sonax polishes.

Borsig
07-03-2014, 02:34 PM
So use mf pads instead of foam?

What is a good wax that wont break the bank and is easy on a beginner? I have to wax after polishing right?

RobertJ34
07-03-2014, 02:51 PM
The Megs Microfiber kit comes with a Compound and a Finishing wax, no polish. I have this kit, it works well.

Yes, you would need to wax/seal after using a polish.

if you are only doing this for your car, you could be okay using 2 cutting pads, 2 polishing pads and one finishing (for wax or sealant pad) or you could even wax/seal by hand )just get a small foam applicator. Then find a compound and polish of your choice such as Menzerna or Wolfgang (I've read people tend to use the German products on German paint-plus both are very very reputable)

Depends on your budget, but say you don't get a kit like I said before (to break it down here)
-2 cutting pads
-2 polish pads
-1 finishing pad
-compound
-polish
-wax or sealant (sealant lasts longer)

BUT you would also need a clay bar to remove contaminants prior to using your polisher on the car. I would also recommend Iron-X (removes iron contaminants chemically).

I know, this can be a lot of info, so I would also recommend reading this BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)
this page has lots on info on each category such as washing, claying, using a DA polisher.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

(I understand this isn't a brand new car, but this will definitely help)

RobertJ34
07-03-2014, 02:57 PM
this is also a good, lengthy, article by Mike Phillips. You'll see his name around, he is the director of training and Autogeek and basically knows anything and everything there is about detailing.

Again, I would highly recommend taking your time read through all of it and asking questions. If you've lived with the car this long in the current condition, I'm sure a few more weeks wouldn't hurt to learn the right way to do things.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html

RobertJ34
07-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Also, Invest in quality microfibers (ones for glass, paint, wheels, interior)

this is where most of your scratches/swirls will come from--by the quality of microfibers you use to buff/wax/dry the car. Also by how you wash the car-so get a quality mitt (you can find plenty for cheap) IE: Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-microfiber-wash-mitt.html)

Sorry, I posted quite a bit, but hey do it once and do it right, right?

Enjoy!!!

Borsig
07-03-2014, 03:10 PM
If I buy the two part microfiber kit, do I need a polish? Will the two parts in that kit produce a good result? Its not a show car, but I want it to look nice.

Thanks for the help by the way

RobertJ34
07-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Well, when I used it, I used it on a White Jeep. White is boring as ever, but the results looked great. Some people may argue you do need a polish, some will argue no. The compound that comes with the kit finishes down very well. So when I did it, I didn't use a polish.

Just found this, check out this review of it with pics included (used on black paint too)

Product Review: Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System | Ask a Pro Blog (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/product-review-meguiars-da-microfiber-correction-system/)

David Hayward
07-03-2014, 03:46 PM
On my 2012 black vw the cutting pad with the included d300 compound finished almost perfect. For most people you could have applied wax or sealant and been done. The kit includes a finishing polish/wax all in one type product.

Borsig
07-03-2014, 04:45 PM
might have to give this kit a try then.

Its more than I wanted to spend, but the reviews are great, and it seems to be beginner friendly

David Hayward
07-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Considering what it comes with its a deal. The 5 inch kit is decently priced and would go well for the harbor freight polisher. Keep in mind the compound and polish/wax or comes with are pretty big. You could do multiple cars with them. I would still reccomend a sealant or wax after since the polish is an all in one wax type product.

Borsig
07-03-2014, 05:20 PM
What wax would you recommend?

Also - what is a good budget microfiber towel? I dont have alot to spend on them. the zwipes towels are about .50 each.

I know nothing about microfiber, other than I have a pack I bought at advance or walmart - not sure where they are from.

David Hayward
07-03-2014, 06:23 PM
I use the ones from microfiber tech my last order I bought 40 and at that quantity it was $1.98 a towel. As for a final product it's hard to say. Do you want it to last long? Do you want it to look real good? If you are on a tight budget just buying a good paste wax from mothers or meguiars at a local store will probably be more than enough.