PDA

View Full Version : DLux removal?

builthatch
07-02-2014, 11:20 PM
i am only familiar with Optimum's various coatings; since OPT doesn't have a coating that is ideal for softer trim, i had someone put DLux on a the rubber trim of a vehicle of mine and though they are pretty well-versed with CQ coatings, it came out streaky, blotchy...uneven. it looks terrible. they tried to even it out with more but no dice. i know DLux has a big following so i'm hoping someone has some personal experience with this type of issue.

there was some excess on the windshield that removed pretty easily...it's interesting in that it's slightly soft in texture vs. other coatings i'm familiar with.

anyway, i spoke to Corey and he suggested to scrub with an alkaline APC on an MF. does anyone here have any advice for any way on soft rubber trim (window surrounds, etc.) to level this out or dull it down so it's all even? i was thinking about taping everything off and rubbing some Hyper compound or Hyper polish with a MF...i just don't want to ruin the trim.

Lowejackson
07-03-2014, 04:41 AM
I have tried Dlux a few times on soft trim without any problem but the durability is much lower than on hard plastic, which is a rather long winded way of saying I have no idea what has caused your streaking. I would try an APC with a toothbrush or maybe one of the melemine foam (magic eraser) pads. This is a guess as I have not tried to remove Dlux from rubber

BobbyG
07-03-2014, 05:22 AM
You may need to use something stronger like mineral spirits or Perp-All...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Autogeek/MineralSprits_zps3a0247cf.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/BobbyG53/media/Autogeek/MineralSprits_zps3a0247cf.jpg.html)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Autogeek/GSW36220WEB_zps537e573c.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/BobbyG53/media/Autogeek/GSW36220WEB_zps537e573c.jpg.html)

TroyScherer
07-03-2014, 05:50 AM
I am in agreement with Corey on this. The best way to remove / knock-down Dlux on trim is to use a strong APC and scrub it. It may take a few applications / attempts. I have also used a tooth brush to scrub. I would highly suggest taping off the area as well before going at it.

I have found that for rubber trim I don't really like coatings. So for rubber trim & seals I stick with UTTG or 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege.

swanicyouth
07-03-2014, 08:02 AM
I coated my rubber window trim on my 2 vehicles and it worked out awesome for me. I did it a year ago and the rubber is still coated, beads like crazy, and looks perfect a year later.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/03/9yjuremy.jpg

One point I'd like to make is I'd be cautious scrubbing any rubber window trim with anything abrasive. This trim sometimes has a "clear coat" on it for UV protection of the rubber - scrubbing it can remove portions of that clear coat making it look splotchy and worse. Not all rubber has this, but most rubber in most modern cars that is exposed to sun seems to have some type of coating from the factory on it.

I've never had to remove DLux, so I can't help you with that...But, I can tell you how I coated my window gaskets successfully. My first question would be, was there any "dressing" used on the trim prior to cleaning it for DLux? If so, my guess would be the dressing was not 100% removed and is causing your splotching issue.

Even if not, the condition may have been caused by not cleaning the trim completely free of all dirt and contaminants. IMHO any type of rubber is best cleaned with Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner and a cotton towel if it's going to be coated, as this is one of the few cleaner products that is designed to completely strip rubber of all dirt and chemicals. Rubber can be hard to get completely clean, and I don't think APCs are proficient at it.

If you want to try it again, after the rubber has been cleaned rinse well with water and then wipe it down with Eraser. Once prepped - the suede cloth that comes with the DLux folded in fours is a good way to apply the product to window trim. DLux can be "messed with" or leveled while it's drying without messing it up - a lot of times this is necessary.

Good luck whatever you try.

builthatch
07-03-2014, 09:24 PM
thanks all. Avi also responded via PM as i PMed him re: this thread.

i'll start with least aggressive (alkaline APC) and go from there. OPC is pH 11 so that will be a good choice i guess.

b0b
07-03-2014, 09:43 PM
IMHO any type of rubber is best cleaned with Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner and a cotton towel if it's going to be coated, as this is one of the few cleaner products that is designed to completely strip rubber of all dirt and chemicals. Rubber can be hard to get completely clean, and I don't think APCs are proficient at it.

If you want to try it again, after the rubber has been cleaned rinse well with water and then wipe it down with Eraser. Once prepped - the suede cloth that comes with the DLux folded in fours is a good way to apply the product to window trim. DLux can be "messed with" or leveled while it's drying without messing it up - a lot of times this is necessary.

Good luck whatever you try.

Good advice! I have never tried Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner for trim(rubber), will give it a go.

builthatch
10-25-2014, 12:21 AM
i realized i never updated this thread.

i was able to remove the crappy Dlux installation that the detailer did with Power Clean and an old MF. i rinsed the area first, used full strength OPC and scrubbed. and scrubbed. a lot. some parts were harder than others but that is further proof to the negligence of the installer not prepping the area well...if at all. who knows. some of it stuck around, some didn't...from the start it looked like trash. totally his fault because i know Dlux can go on evenly.

i had to keep rinsing to make sure the Power Clean didn't dry on anything because it will lightly stain stuff if it dries. nothing that can't be remedied with varying degrees of work...but still, best to just keep it wet or rinse often, etc.

i cleaned the whole vehicle after with Reset and the rubber was squeaky clean. once rinsed and dried, it looks spectacular - nice, even and new!

i never took pics so i snapped some tonight whilst walking past the truck. weak mobile pics but you get the point.

in the day, it looks even, flat black.

JHL88
10-25-2014, 01:30 AM
thanks for the update!

builthatch
10-25-2014, 02:57 PM
np. here are some pics in the day light. the truck is outside 24/7 so it's dusty and has spider webs on it lol

allenk4
10-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Attached Thumbnails....ARRRRRGH!!!!