PDA

View Full Version : Towels from Rinseless Wash - What MF cleaner do you use?

Pages : [1] 2

Zelfiris
07-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Hey Everyone,

I have been using ONR + Garry Dean's method for my rinseless wash for a while now and I found that the fibers in the towels are quite dirty even after a good wash.

The following are products/methods I tried:

1. Micro-Restore Microfiber Detergent in washer + air dry
2. Pre-rinse in ONR after use then follow by #1 above
3. Pre-rinse in Optimum Power Clean then follow by #1 above
4. Hand wash with Optimum Power Clean then follow by #1 above
5. Hand wash with Optimum Power Clean, then follow by #1 above but with 2oz of vinegar
6. Micro-Restore Microfiber Detergent in washer + vinegar then air dry
7. 3D Towel Clean in washer + air dry
8. Meguiar's APC + 3D Towel Clean in washer + air dry
9. Meguiar's APC + 3D Towel Clean in washer + vinegar + air dry

The left is how the towels turn out after a wash and right is a brand new towel
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y513/kouyo/2014-07-02115210_zps3a3c4033.jpg~original

What is everyone else using? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

07-02-2014, 11:11 AM
I recently switched to 3D Towel Kleen - love it! How many oz of product are you adding to the wash?

builthatch
07-02-2014, 11:20 AM
i throw like kinds in the washing machine (center agitator type) with hot/warm water fill and 1 or 2 oz of Micro-Restore, agitate for 10 minutes and turn off to soak for a length of time, depending on how dirty the towels were in the first place. (i'll even pre-treat those with bad stains using Shout).

i leave them for a while and then spin/rinse twice with warm water...and hang dry. seems to work fine. i used to pre-dissolve some Oxi Clean in hot water and pour that in for the agitation and soak part of the process but now i only do that for wheels where i'm doing waterless washes for wheels. for rinseless washes i use old school AG supreme 530s. they lint terribly (always have, like any AG towel i've ever bought) but they work very well for rinseless washes imo.

Sherif
07-02-2014, 11:27 AM
I soak them for an hour or 2 in the bucket with leftover ONR and add water and 2oz of Tide free & clear then to the washing machine (low heat) with 2oz of 3D towel klean.. I use 6 or 7 white plush towels for rinse-less but they come out clean and soft after the above method.

Goldcaddy
07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Pre-soak to get the heavy soils loose. If you're using a HE washer the Wolfgang's stuff is pretty darn good. I've only used Pinnacle and Wolfgang but the towels came out much better with the Wolfgang.

cleanmycorolla
07-02-2014, 12:12 PM
I use wolfgang in my HE machine, or Blackfire. Both are the best!

Zelfiris
07-02-2014, 12:56 PM
I recently switched to 3D Towel Kleen - love it! How many oz of product are you adding to the wash?

I usually throw in about 10 towels and follow the label for small load (I think it was 2oz?)

Zelfiris
07-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I soak them for an hour or 2 in the bucket with leftover ONR and add water and 2oz of Tide free & clear then to the washing machine (low heat) with 2oz of 3D towel klean.. I use 6 or 7 white plush towels for rinse-less but they come out clean and soft after the above method.

Since I just finished my bottle of micro restore and barely touched the 3d Kleen, I'm going to give your technique a try.

I have 10 new towels coming (1400 gsm) and I want to keep them cleaner than the blue ones I have. Would you say the tide is a big contributor to cleaning the stained fibers?

Hazcat
07-02-2014, 01:55 PM
When my towels are that dirty I use dawn dish washing soap to hand wash them in the sink until all the stains are out. Then I run them through the washing machine. They always come out looking new. It's a lot of work to keep them looking new. Soaking them helps tremendously.

Harry Da Hamster
07-02-2014, 08:48 PM
IME there's really no ace in the hole. It seemed that no matter the detergent i used, i still needed to agitate by hand and scrub the dirty parts against each other or use a stiff bristled laundry brush.

I use Chemical Guys microfiber cleaner since 3D Towel Kleen wasn't available at the moment i purchased. Before that i used regular Wisk laundry detergent with the addition of (all, combination, or just one) Oxi Clean, baking soda, vinegar. I always rinse with vinegar. I don't notice a significant difference in performance with regular detergent or with microfiber detergent. With that said, i will continue to use Chemical Guys or 3D Towel Kleen because they seem to be cheaper than regular detergent.

Sherif
07-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Since I just finished my bottle of micro restore and barely touched the 3d Kleen, I'm going to give your technique a try.

I have 10 new towels coming (1400 gsm) and I want to keep them cleaner than the blue ones I have. Would you say the tide is a big contributor to cleaning the stained fibers?

Yes I'd say the pre-soak step with tide free&clear helps a lot but if they're not very dirty, you can try skipping the pre-soak step and see how will they come out.

silverfox
07-03-2014, 12:59 AM
The dedicated MF soap market is the biggest scam going. I've been washing MF towels for years and they come out perfect using ordinary liquid (only) detergent that contains no fabric softener. I use either woolite or All free and clear.
I presoak towels in a combination APC-ONR solution. Let soak for a few hours. That removes much of the crud. Ring them out, then drop in washer using recommended amount of liquid detergent about 1.5 oz. More soap is not better. Wash using warm water (not hot!), set to delicates, with extra rinse cycle. Add 4oz distilled white vinegar as fabric softener.
Dry on low heat set on delicates on timer for 30 minutes.

GTPpilot
07-04-2014, 01:57 PM
All free and clear works well for me also. Vinegar in the rinse cycle does seem to soften them up a bit.

Rmd
07-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Wolfgang is the best I have used for HE machine. I think it does make a difference over regular free and clear type laundry detergent.

peterhurcos
07-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Regular detergent. mf-only wash, of course. I add whatever solution is left over from the bucket (the "clean" soution) to the mix. I figure it can't hurt and its formulated to get the dirt found on cars.

I'm careful not to use too much detergent. I use hot water on the "heavy" cycle. I add vinegar. It makes me feel better. Then I run them through again using less or even no detergent. No problems.

I figure if anything, its an advantage to have the machine knock the heck out of them.

I don't bother drying them. I mix up next week's hooch, put the damp towels in it with a lid on, so I'm ready to go next week. I keep a few drying towels out, which I air dry.

In the interst of full disclosure, I did have a bucket of Duragloss no-rinse go "sour" on me after a couple of weeks in warm weather although it still worked OK. week-to-week its not a problem, nor have i had that problem with the Turtlewax product.

I should say that I do the "Garry Dean" method. Otherwise this doesn't make a lot of sense.