PDA

View Full Version : Murdering my Mercedes at the coin operated car wash

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vivant511
07-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Hi guys,

Thought I'd objectively test out the damage caused by the brooms at the local car wash....get ready to cringe!

And do excuse the Ozzie accent...not a very attractive one, including the chap in the vid!

Cheers, Anthony

damaging paintwork by brush washing at the coin operated car wash - YouTube (http://youtu.be/GYamXS6kxfk)

sproketser
07-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanx for sharing Mr Bon Vivant !

This is exactly what not to do right ! Hope some will learn from your instructional vid .

A2D Signature
07-01-2014, 08:18 PM
was that a boars hair brush?? Making me think twice about getting one now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sproketser
07-01-2014, 08:21 PM
I ve seen a place close to where I was living before & the detailer was washing a Daytona Charger with a brushe , turned around & went elsewhere . It was years before I got interested into detailing .

Vivant511
07-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks Sproketser! Yep, I wanted to quantify the damage caused objectively, all in the mere minute it took on very hard paint.

A2D Signature, yes, this one was boars hair. Some other places have plastic / synthetic brushes which is even coarser!

sproketser
07-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks Sproketser! Yep, I wanted to quantify the damage caused objectively, all in the mere minute it took on very hard paint.

A2D Signature, yes, this one was board hair. Some other places have plastic / synthetic brushes which is even coarser!

No problem my friend !

conman1395
07-01-2014, 08:41 PM

There's a difference between a boars hair brush and a boars hair brush filled with rocks, brake dust, dirt, metal shavings, and other things that aren't paint friendly.

sproketser
07-01-2014, 08:46 PM
I know , but it s in a car wash , not your own place . But I understand your point mate .

swanicyouth
07-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Most of these places where I live use a BH brush that looks exactly like the one the Braun Brush Co. sells - except the head is encased in metal. The Braun Brush Co brush looks exactly like the one AG sells as the Montana Car Wash Brush 10".

This brush doesn't scratch if used correctly. However, the brush needs to be clean, soaked, and not scrubbed with force and downward pressure over and over on a panel.

My guess is the brushes at the coin OP sit on the ground and have all types of grit in them. Not to mention most people are using them almost dry with too much force and not rinsing them via a 2BM.

These factors are what causes marring - not using a BH brush.

Vivant511
07-01-2014, 08:54 PM
The message is more about coin operated outfits rather what the brush head is made of. But the valid point has been made - they are contaminated with paint unfriendly contamination

CDot
07-01-2014, 09:05 PM
This was a GREAT vid; excellent education material for those who really need a concrete example of why coin-operated washes aren't great for their car!

And that was just after one wash...crazy

mwoolfso
07-01-2014, 09:23 PM
An amazing revelation. Imagine with soft paint?!?!?!?!

hernandez.art13
07-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Nice video and can't wait till you upload another one. Subscribed btw, keep them coming. :props:

SYMAWD
07-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Did you use the power washer to rinse the brush first?

Vivant511
07-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciate the support. And after doing this first one, really makes me give a greater appreciation for guys like Mike, Larry K, Barry T, etc. about confidence, camera presence, editing, etc.

SYMAWD, yes I did rinse it first. I tried to be as realistic as possible, which means, rinsed it, medium to light pressure, hold off the cord from hitting the car, etc.