PDA

View Full Version : Subaru STI Paint Correction

Ryan509
07-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Good day guys,

My buddy wants me to do a full exterior polish on his STI. I've done plenty of research (thank god i did as i was going to use a compound) and realized that subaru paint is extremly soft. seems most people just needed a finishing polish to correct swirls and minor scratches/Holograms. Alot of people seem to use Menzerna SF4000. But i would plan on using Blackfire SRC finishing polish with white LC Pads of a griots 6".

Can anyone recommend a good finishing polish &/or 1 step polish to use?

Also a good speed to use the DA on. I was thinking 4-5?

thank you,

Ryan

Ryan509
07-01-2014, 03:09 PM
i'm also considering Pinnacle XMT 360 as a 1 step correction/clean/sealant

fly07sti
07-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Both the SF4000 and the BF polish finish out very good. If it's black and you're going for 95%+ correction. SF4500, Car Pro Reflect or OPT Finish. I have found that the LC Hydrotechs give the best finish on my Sti and other Sti's I have done. Be sure to use a very high quality MF when removing your last polish so you don't marr that perfect paint.

Ryan509
07-01-2014, 03:30 PM
It's a darker silver. Litterly looks the same colour as your car. I don't have any pics of the swirls n stuff yet. but i'll get some soon. I will also being doing work on toyotas which i have realized has really soft paint too.

Applying that finishing polish, Would an orange hydro tech pad or a white ccs pad be good? I currently have 2 white pads that came with my kit along with 2 gray pads and a blue pad (all ccs)

MattieDSC
07-01-2014, 03:30 PM
I also have a subaru and I've never polished my paint. My car is new and I was planning on trying Sonax perfect finish since I have hardly any defects in the paint. I'm looking for a pad recommendation. I also have the Chemical Guys V line of polishes.

Eric@CherryOnTop
07-01-2014, 03:46 PM
On a silver Subaru I think you will get fantastic results with xmt360. White or green CCS pads would be my choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fly07sti
07-01-2014, 06:15 PM
The tangerine HT will work very well. I have CCS pads, but they don't seem to finish out on Subie paint as well as the HT's. My color is Crystal Gray Metallic if that's what your buddies is.