PDA

View Full Version : Noob to Detailing (new and old cars)

nickanna
07-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Hello everyone. I've been lurking the forums for a bit (doing research) on what products to buy given what’s in my current stable and I’m having trouble coming up with my shopping list. First and foremost, I’m am a car guy and take pride in what I drive, however I've never machine detailed before :buffing:. I’m not planning on going into business for myself; this is only for taking care of my family’s cars.

Here’s my situation:
2011 Audi Q5 in Quartz Grey – Wash it once every 2 weeks. Has water spots on the horizontal surfaces. Most of the side panels are in good nick, but there are some surface scratches/swirls. Looking to compound, seal, etc…

2012 Mercedes C350 in Iridium Silver Metallic – Wash it weekly. Few minor surface scratches here and there, but I’d like to get some more depth out of the paint and make sure it’s protected for the long haul, compound, seal, etc…. No visible water spots or anything, but a full detail isn't going to hurt it.

2002 Nissan Altima in Black –This is my 16 year old daughter's car and I don’t believe the paint has ever been cared for, so it’s oxidized badly. (My son washes this more than she does and he’s 13) There are several scratches that may or may not buff out, but that doesn't concern me. I’m just looking to get the oxidization cleaned up as best I can, seal it, wax it, etc...

My dilemma you say? I’m not sure which products to use on which car and in what steps to use. Since there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, I thought I’d ask your advice to avoid buying a whole bunch of products I don’t need. Research tells me that I should test different products, and I know to do a test spot and “step up” in aggressiveness if you’re not getting the results you want (i.e. pad cut, product change or pressure). Am I making this overly complicated or is there an easier way?

My shopping list so far:
Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424xp Ultimate Polishing Kit
-Giving me the 3.0 compound, glaze and sealant, as well as the 2 MF bonnets, 2 blue, 2 tangerine and 1 red pad, plus the WG pad cleaner & Conditioner.

Masking tape
3 pack of Grey LC CCS pads
Duragloss Aqua Wax #951 (in stock at home)

Do I need a wax removal product? Am I missing anything or is this enough to get me started. I know this is asked often and I've taken some notes, but I appreciate your input.

Coopers ST
07-01-2014, 02:47 PM
I would add Sonax for removing contaminates, a clay product, even a nanoskin autoscrub. You are going to need more pads. I use lake county flats and use 3 orange if using compound, 3 white for glaze, 3 blue for sealant, and 1 grey for the LSP (#951 in your list). I would think that set up should be enough for most cars on the road. I don't use MF bonnets.
Next you are going to need lots of MF towels.
Don't discount the GG6, it is more powerful and has a lifetime warranty. I have it and really like it, even with the 6.5" pads.

nickanna
07-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Don't discount the GG6, it is more powerful and has a lifetime warranty. I have it and really like it, even with the 6.5" pads.

Thanks for the additional info. Now you have me looking at the GG6...:o so maybe I'll get a GG6 and add the other products in. I've read that some use 5.5" pads for compound and sealant and then a 6.5" for LSP. Think I'll be good with just the 6.5"? I take it I'll go through at least 3 pads per step/per car?

As far as you know the WG product will work well with the cars I have listed? My Merc doesn't have the Ceramic cc, but I've read that Merc and Audi have hard paint.

Coopers ST
07-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the additional info. Now you have me looking at the GG6...:o so maybe I'll get a GG6 and add the other products in. I've read that some use 5.5" pads for compound and sealant and then a 6.5" for LSP. Think I'll be good with just the 6.5"? I take it I'll go through at least 3 pads per step/per car?

As far as you know the WG product will work well with the cars I have listed? My Merc doesn't have the Ceramic cc, but I've read that Merc and Audi have hard paint.

I only use a 6.5" pad, I would love to try a 5.5, but it isn't in the cards now. I had no problems doing a complete paint correction on my wifes Santa Fe. I used Megs Ultimate compound, polish and NXT on it.
As to will WG work on all your cars? No idea, I would call and find out, but don't see why it wouldn't.