PDA

View Full Version : 2013 VW Passat Black Paint - "Green" All in one?

mc4nam
07-01-2014, 11:49 AM
I have a 2013 Passat, I have heard the black paint is no longer produced in Germany. It's made here in I believe Tennessee. and The paint process is what is now considered "green" meaning that the paint/primer is applied in one step.

Anyone familiar with this paint? I am about to purchase a Harbor freight D/A. Any suggestions on pads?

I still have some minor swirls left from dealer cleaning when I bought the car.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

HUMP DIESEL
07-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Interesting. I don't know the answer, but I will stay tuned for any responses.

HUMP

jamesboyy
07-01-2014, 01:23 PM
If you Google " vw passat black paint applied in one step" you should find that on another forum people are saying that this paintwork is crazy soft and that any little thing will defect the paint....even if you look at it....just kidding but with that all said I would opti coat vehicle once buffed out in a one step with something like Menzerna Power Finish PO 203 with green or white pad (test result will determine best pad choice)

WAXOFF
07-01-2014, 01:24 PM
VW paint is usually very hard clear coat. I work at a dealer but have never buffed a Passat but had 3 Jetta and a Tiguan myself. I know the Jettas take some time to cut out a scratch. Maybe this will shed some light.

VW's new U.S. plant employs innovative paint system - SAE International (http://articles.sae.org/9927/)

David Hayward
07-01-2014, 02:10 PM
I've done my 2011 vw cc and a 2014 Jetta gli both black that were very hard. Ended up using the meguiars microfiber cutting pad to start which actually finished very well. Still followed it with the polishing pad from the kit also.

Desertnate
07-02-2014, 10:27 AM
I wonder if the variation in the VW conditions were seeing here is based on where they are built. My 2014 GTI's black pearl paint was hard as well, but it was built in Germany. The new 2015's built in Mexico for the US market may be totally different.

The Jetta and CC mentioned above might vary for the same reason.

Even if the paint and primer are applied in a single layer, that wouldn't change the performance of the clear coat unless they are now using a softer clear coat as well. That's what we all encounter as we work on our VW's. I wonder what this approach does to paint and clear coat thickness?