PDA

View Full Version : Sealant bonding

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
07-01-2014, 09:05 AM
I do a rinseless wash after polish. I read to many bad things about IPA wipe downs. Will the sealant bond if there's still some polish residue

cleanmycorolla
07-01-2014, 09:06 AM
you read bad things about an IPA wipe?

Also, don't overthink this all so much.

frankprozzoly
07-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Well everyone talks about it not having lubrication

molarman
07-01-2014, 09:32 AM
the concept of using ipa wipedown is to remove any residue before applying sealant; this will aid in sealant bonding after polishing

JAF06SE
07-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Well everyone talks about it not having lubrication

What do you mean about not having lubrication? That's pretty much what the alcohol is removing all the lubricant that would interfere with you sealant bonding as well.

jmsc
07-01-2014, 10:30 AM
What polish, rinse-less, sealant are you using?

top189h
07-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Look into Carpro Eraser, I had never ending trouble with Poorboy's Exp not lasting. I bought some eraser for when I cquk'd my truck and afterwards, on a buddy's car I ended up using Exp but I used eraser before it and now I'm on month 4 and it's still there.

Mike Phillips
07-01-2014, 10:41 AM
you read bad things about an IPA wipe?

I've posted and shown pictures of wiping with IPA can mar paint. You can really only see this on black but the point is if it's happening to clearcoated black it's likely happening to all clearcoated cars it's just your eyes can't see the marring on light colored paints.

If you mar the paint after polishing to perfection this is what I call working backwards.

Also, don't overthink this all so much.

I agree, too often people take something that is quite simple and turn it into rocket science.

As it relates to bonding people want to get the best bond between the product they are using to protect the paint and the paint so there will be maximum adhesion between the protection ingredients and the paint.

Makes sense on some levels but I've posted info from a real chemist that states it's not what most people think.

Zaino products actually started or pushed chemically stripping paint over the tipping point back in the early part of 2000 and ever since then people want to strip their paint using some type of hot solvent.

2 Points

1. Most people hanging out on a detailing discussion forum will re-apply "something" sooner than later so longevity isn't the biggest issue.

2. I've never walked out into a garage after waxing or sealing a car with a paint sealant to find the product all piled up on the garage floor surrounding the car because it didn't "bond" and therefore slipped off the paint.

See this article...

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

:)

frankprozzoly
07-01-2014, 10:44 AM
I use meguiars 21 sealant. I've read that alcohol doesn't have lube and it's possible that it can cause marring. Some people say put some rinseless wash in with the alcohol. I just want to know if it's that important. I compound, polish then finishing polish then wipe it with something like ONR then seal

Mike Phillips
07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I've read that alcohol doesn't have lube and it's possible that it can cause marring.

Correct. IPA is the opposite of an oily lubricant. In context of detailing cars it's used to DISSOLVE oily films so they can be removed.

Because it's not a good lubricant, it doesn't help to lubricate the surface when you're wiping, thus the microfiber towels plus the pressure from your hand can leave marring in the paint.

Marring is the kind, gentle fluffy way of saying scratches.

Here's the article I wrote where I posted pictures of marring on clearcoated black paint.

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/43684-hologram-free-rotary-buffer.html)

If it were me? I'd keep it simple.

Wipe off the polish residue after polishing and then machine apply the M21. Allow it to dry and then enjoy your shiny car.

:dunno:

frankprozzoly
07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Good article thanks

silverfox
07-01-2014, 01:00 PM
The longevity issue is quite amusing as you read through the forum threads because most car owners mess with their LSP long before its theoretical expiration range...whether its topping or maintenance polishing or whatever...I think we all tend to want to have the maximum longevity possible, but in reality its rarely ever realized with any product...and more often than not...by our own hand.

frankprozzoly
07-01-2014, 01:29 PM
I agree. I'm not concerned about how long it'll last. I'm just concerned about it being as effective as it can be while it's on

cleanmycorolla
07-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I've posted and shown pictures of wiping with IPA can mar paint. You can really only see this on black but the point is if it's happening to clearcoated black it's likely happening to all clearcoated cars it's just your eyes can't see the marring on light colored paints.

If you mar the paint after polishing to perfection this is what I call working backwards.

I'll have to give it a read when I find the time. I've used IPA wipes, but mostly use Eraser or DP Prep Polish or similar now. Thankfully I dont think my IPA wipe downs caused marring, that would've sucked!

Mike Phillips
07-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Thankfully I dont think my IPA wipe downs caused marring,

If you're uber careful and use your best, softest microfiber towels. Plus if you're working on a light colored car even if you are marring the paint you're eyes won't see it.

More of a principal type of thing that chemically stripping paint risks marring it which is working backwards in the process.

Me personally, I like each step I do to be working forward in the process to the final goal which is a perfect finish.

:)