PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Decals

inDetail
06-30-2014, 08:00 PM
I have experience with 3M vinyl graphics. Most jobs were full wraps so we took them off and detailed the car.
I have a Tundra coming up and the graphics are failing. The paint underneath is 3 years old the rest of the paint is 7. I detail this truck yearly.
The question is this. Detail the rest of the car remove the graphics and then tackle the difference between the new and old paint. Or take them off and clean up the whole truck. It's not a full correction since most of my time will be spent blending away the difference between the clean and dirty paint. It's basically clean up the rest of the truck and blend out the paint under the decals.
I am leaning towards WG Uber compound and either a White Foam Pad or a B&S MF polishing pad and perhaps finishing out with a Black Foam and Uber since the cut will be so light. I don't think I would need to step up to Orange foam just yet until I see what's under the vinyl.
I know the paint is soft since I worked on it before but I need to level down the paint under the graphics and clean up the paint around the graphics.
The rest of the paint is in great shape no swirls a few RIDS here and there nothing serious.

Mike Phillips
07-01-2014, 07:17 AM
The question is this. Detail the rest of the car remove the graphics and then tackle the difference between the new and old paint.

Or take them off and clean up the whole truck.

Out of the two options I'd lean towards removing the vinyl decals and then buffing out the truck.

:)

inDetail
07-07-2014, 10:52 AM
The trucked turned out great. I did not take any before pics. It was 5 in the morning and I wanted to get set up before the sun came up.
Removed the vinyl with a blow dryer and just pulled it off. The residue left behind. Goo Gone worked great.
Used Uber 3.0 on a B&S MF black. It cut better then any foam I tossed at it. Once I polished out the vinyl I went to the Uber with white foam. It finished out near LSP ready. I think the Uber is better with foam but I needed more cut. Just removing the ghost was 10 passes with MF and Uber. Then did the entire truck with Uber and white foam. Uber is an awesome product but it does dust. I used polishes that dusted much more it was still annoying. Steps: Foam Gun, Wash TB>,Clay, Polish IPA wipe down> BF paint protection> Pete's 53.
I took after pics and I will upload when I get a chance.
Other then the insane amount of hours with the ghosting The rest of the truck was a breeze with Uber 3.0

allenk4
07-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Is that 10 passes total with pad cleaning and application of additional product after , say 5 passes or are you doing 10 passes with one application of product to the pad?

I think any compound will dust if you are doing 10 passes with it.

inDetail
07-07-2014, 06:06 PM
After each pass on a panel clean the pad with brush and compressed air, Sprayed with pad primer ( two squirts) add 3 peas of polish, pads got washed out after half of the ghosting panels. The graphics at it's widest was 20" and about 6' down the side of the truck. (I mean by pass the polish was worked until it flashed.) It was actually 5 passes on each side to remove the ghosting. I was brain dead this morning.

I did notice that when I was working early in the morning It dusted much less. Might be the heat.