PDA

View Full Version : Getting wax off of Black Trim

Pages : [1] 2

Photecs
06-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Even after taping - while using my PC and applying some DP Max Wax.... I got some wax on the black trim, and a couple days after - its now showing up as white residue.
For now, I've used some trim gel to get rid of it, but something tells me it's more of a mask then a fix.

Any suggestions to remove it? Maybe OPC?

trekkeruss
06-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Mother's Back-to-Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner will supposedly remove embedded wax.

06-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Eraser if you have it, if not good ole peanut butter..

jamesboyy
06-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Peanut butter is useful indeed 281 though another way is apc and brush and agitate the trim

06-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Peanut butter is useful indeed 281 though another way is apc and brush and agitate the trim

Your right James, I'm thinking like a caveman lol. James has a great suggestion to OP, someone just posted this thread - very interesting!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/82342-dp-prep-polish-great-trim-cleaner.html

Klasse Act
06-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Pencil eraser, the stand alone ones though to be safe!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

06-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Pencil eraser, the stand alone ones though to be safe!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Really? very interesting, thanks for sharing!

dad07
06-30-2014, 03:37 PM
DG wax eraser is another option.

BuckeyeR/T
07-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Creamy Peanut Butter and a soft tooth brush

allenk4
07-01-2014, 02:48 PM
DG wax eraser is another option.

Duragloss Wax Eraser is the single worst detailing product I have ever purchased.

It does not remove wax from pebble grained exterior plastic trim, even with vigorous agitation.

Any APC works better than this product.

I still have the refund check from Duragloss in my glovebox.

icepickjazz
07-01-2014, 04:55 PM
I had same problem as OP. Didn't have any APC or wax eraser. Tried and failed with the following used toothbrush and towel:

Peanut Butter
WD-40 -
Vegetable Oil

Finally pink eraser with a lot of elbow grease remove the spots. I had a couple of other spots that were much easier to remove.

Ron Atchison
07-02-2014, 01:01 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/72730-mothers-back-black-heavy-duty-trim-cleaner-spring-2014-a.html

Mike Phillips
07-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Here's something I posted before 2009, not sure when but I know I posted the below to the MOL forum and I came to AGO in 2009 so that's at least 5 years ago and probably longer.

The Peanut Butter trick is actually a trick that misses the mark...

Somehow, somewhere, someway someone posted about using Peanut Butter to remove polish and wax residue and the post spread from there... it continues to this day.

Here's the skinny...

If you have an open jar of peanut butter that's been used, usually you'll see some clear liquid pooling on the top of the peanut butter, this is vegetable oil.

It's the vegetable oil in the peanut butter that helps to break-up and dissolve polish and wax residue and also turn faded trim a darker color which will also act to mask the problem.

I guess the point is instead of using peanut butter which only has a LITTLE bit of vegetable oil why not just use vegetable oil? If you have peanut butter in your pantry chances are pretty good you have something like Crisco or Wesson oil.

If I had a jar of peanut butter for every time I've posted the reason why peanut butter is used to remove polish and wax residue I would have a pantry full of peanut butter...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/719/pantryfullofpeanutbutter.jpg

Here's an old home-remedy for removing gum out of hair, which is a problem that sometimes happens to little kid, or how to get chewing gum out of carpet which is a problem usually caused by little kids, take and work some vegetable oil into the gum and it will act to dissolve it so instead of being a difficult, medium to remove it will break-up and then can be pulled out of or off of whatever it's stuck too...

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
07-02-2014, 06:42 AM
Even after taping - while using my PC and applying some DP Max Wax.... I got some wax on the black trim, and a couple days after - its now showing up as white residue.
For now, I've used some trim gel to get rid of it, but something tells me it's more of a mask then a fix.

Any suggestions to remove it? Maybe OPC?

The root cause of the problem is the plastic trim car manufacturers use on their cars.

Here's a tip for anyone reading this into the future...

If you like to detail your own cars, then when you go to purchase a "new" car, look for a model or package with the least amount of plastic trim, especially pebble textured black plastic trim which is the WORST.

:dunno:

The people that invented pebble textured black plastic trim have never polished or waxed a car. If they had... they would understand what a horrible idea it is to used this cursed type of plastic on the outside of a car.

I'll stick to my classic 1987 Chevy Silverado. Not a single piece of plastic trim on the outside of the truck. Just chrome.

:)

Photecs
07-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Amen! I love this Forum...!!!