PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Well & Underbody Spray

Gunny Fitz
06-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Last time I cleaned up under my wheel wells I went ahead and tried using an off the shelf product to spray inside there to see how it looked and worked as a protective type material.

3M/16 oz. professional grade rubberized undercoating (3584) | Top and Under Coating | AutoZone.com (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/3M-16-oz-professional-grade-rubberized-undercoating/_/N-261n?itemIdentifier=418859_0_0_)

Anxious to hear if anyone ever used this stuff or something similar to spray in wheel wells or even their entire frame or anything up under their vehicle as a form of undercoating protectant? So far its held up fine and actually looks awesome by blacking out everything with a great rubber feel to it as well. I am wondering how far I can go with this stuff, meaning how much under my truck can i cover with it without it doing anything to perhaps cover up rust or harm anything at all?

Would love to hear your thoughts or use of similar products?

refreshauto
06-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Have not used that one, I use chemical guys bare bones

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

Chevota Guy
06-29-2014, 01:08 PM
I have used the 3M rubberized undercoating and really like it. I used it in the fender wells of my FJ40 Landcruiser and it holds up well. I have also used it to "freshen" the wheel wells after time. It is relatively thick, but one coat hides everything. It has a texture to it and is very dark. I used about 1 can per fender.

On newer vehicles, I have also had great results with trim black paint in cases where washing the wheel wells just didn't clean them up well enough.

Dark Shadow
06-29-2014, 01:30 PM
I've used the 3m undercoating 3 years ago to redo the rear wheel wells in my 98 Mustang after degreasing and cleaning it very good. Then I applied 2 coats and the end result is a brand new finish. As far as the frame goes I have never used it for that I would use a product like POR 15, Chassis Saver, or checkout the Eastwood company.

Gunny Fitz
06-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Great info guys!
Many thanks thus far. Glad to hear you like the 3M stuff like I used too!

MarkD51
06-29-2014, 03:37 PM
I've used this stuff for years on many vehicles. It's a "poor man's" undercoating where you get to put it "where you want it".

With basically any new vehicle, this is a service I do ASAP, before the winters would come and usually road salts with it.

A lengthy process which will leave you sore for sure, but I would usually clean all wheel wells with a strong APC and a high pressure washer at the car wash, then finish up at home.

Then, one wheel at a time, off they come, further clean all wheel wells with soap, water, brushes, whatever I needed. While this would be drying, I would then tackle each wheel-tire, cleaning-detailing-protecting them in and out.

Then I'd do a final masking of Fender Lips, and cover-protect all areas I didn't want overspray on like drums, calipers, shocks, brake lines, etc with rags, and even old newspaper to guard against overspray from the Undercoating. Good idea also to place some form of drop cloth in the wheel well area when working.

Generally, 1 can per wheel well for the trucks-suvs was the right amount, don't try stretching it, and cheaping out. Smaller vehicles you "might" get away with 2-3 cans. With Trucks-SUVs I'd also often do the area behind the rear wheel wells. This area too can get loaded with muck, salts, and rust.

There's been times that to refresh the nice look I'd simply use those no touch aerosol tire products in the can to pretty up the wheel wells again, but lately I've been using Opti-Bond Tire Gel diluted about 1-2 parts (2 parts water), spray down after cleaning-drying and they look nice and black again.

I have the CG Bare Bones, love the grape smell, and it too looks good but really doesn't last that long, and I strongly suggest not using this on your nice clean driveway, as the excess will drip. Find some deserted parking lot somewhere, and go to town, then take a 15 minute break for it to at least set up, and the excess to drip off.

Yes, this is often a many hour's affair, but when you're done, you have a feeling of contentment, all is well, and looks so much better!

MarkD51
06-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Of course there's been a number of vehicles that I've owned in my life, where I would never consider using such products.

Those were mainly my '66 T-Bird, '67 Stingray, and my '68 SS396 Camaro. In those particular instances, I feel it would've been an extreme cardinal sin to use such products, and in such cases, wheel wells would be cleaned, prepped, then sprayed with the appropriate correct Paint instead.

These were of course not daily drivers, when I owned them they never saw rain, snow, or salt.

cleanmycorolla
07-03-2014, 02:10 PM
CG bare bones works nice!