PDA

View Full Version : Spray paint on car-need advice please

rayman
06-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Hi sorry if this has been asked before I tried searching but nothing... I just got a 2001 mercedes s430 I bought from someone and certain spots on the car have been spray painted i guess after a rust fix but the spray paint stands out and you can tell from the old paint to the new one , is there anyway to blend it in? Or remove the spray paint somehow , Any advice is appreciated ..thanks

jamesboyy
06-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Welcome to autogeek, as for your question those touch up spots may not have clear coat on them that is why they stand out so badly but what I suggested start from scratch is find your paint code then get that specific paint with some clear coat you will also want sandpaper from 1000 grit to 3000 grit now starting with one spot at a time sand it with 2000 or 2500 grit paper then apply three coats of base color with 15 min dry time in between then you will want to add three coats of clear coat with 15 min dry time in between now your repair should be a little higher than the surrounding paint but don't panic its time to sand it down using 2500 or 3000 grit sand paper checking your work often making sure you level the repair with the rest of the paint and not remove it once leveled now you should have a little bit of scratches which you can buff out by hand using a combo like meguiars m105 and m205 once flawless you now should have a better fixed repair and this process you can repeat for all of your other trouble areas

davidc
06-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Take a piece of the car if possible like the gas fill door to a paint shop and have it color matched.

Dave