PDA

View Full Version : Wax flying everywhere help

Pages : [1] 2

Ryan509
06-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Good day,

I recently purchased a griots garage 6" DA with 2 gray, 2 white and 1 blue CCS pad. I will be ordering more pads (some orange and more white) in the future but for now i just waxed my car. I seem to be getting splatter no matter how flat the pad is. The kit i bought came with pinnacle pad conditioner and cleaner. At the beginning of every session i give the pad a spritz but after that i usually only give er a spritz every 5-6 times of adding product. I start with an "X" to prime the pad then just use the 3 penny-dime size dots. I still get little tiny splatter particles. What could i be doing wrong?

Thank you,

Ryan

beamerstrumpet
06-28-2014, 07:49 PM
What speed are you using to wax? Waxing is a slow speed op. All you are doing is covering the area and moving the wax around in nice even pattern. For wax you really do not need to "spritz" so it may be getting to wet also. and you may have too much product.

Spritzing is used for compounding and polishing if your products are drying out to fast and initially to give a bit of lubricity to get going. Someone can (and probably will) chime in if I have given you any wrong info :)

Belair
06-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Once you prime the pad initially you don't have to do it again, at least I never do. Also is the pad off the paint when you start the machine each time? That could be it.

trekkeruss
06-28-2014, 07:52 PM
What speed are you using? For waxing, you don't need anything faster than #3.

DaveT435
06-28-2014, 07:54 PM
I don't think you need to spritz the pad other than the first time. It sounds like you are using a liquid wax?? I'm not a pro but with wax I would have just primed the pad...no pad conditioner.

Ryan509
06-28-2014, 08:05 PM
i used 2 when applying it. Pad is completly flat before the machine is on. I used Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Carnubua. Using my Gray CCS Pad. I just get little tiny dots of splatter. Not gobs of it or nothing. But it's just annoying.lol

Coopers ST
06-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Too much product? Not sure if I do it correctly or not but I also use a GG6 with the 6.5" pads that came with it. I also put a X on it, then spread it out with my finger to cover the pad. I only do that once, then I add 3 less than a pinky nail size drops for each panel, though some panels are small like the rear quarter panel and I may only add one drop, or my rear spoiler I wouldn't add any extra.
I then put the machine all the way down and add a bit of pressure before I turn it on. I get very little to no splatter. I then spread fast then go back over in my slow section passes.

custmsprty
06-28-2014, 08:21 PM
What speed are you using to wax? Waxing is a slow speed op. All you are doing is covering the area and moving the wax around in nice even pattern. For wax you really do not need to "spritz" so it may be getting to wet also. and you may have too much product.

Spritzing is used for compounding and polishing if your products are drying out to fast and initially to give a bit of lubricity to get going. Someone can (and probably will) chime in if I have given you any wrong info :)

:iagree: Excellent advice.

JAF06SE
06-28-2014, 08:24 PM
After you apply the product to the pad after the initial prime, set the pad on the paint and smear the product onto the paint in the area you will be working before turning the machine on. Move back up to where you set it down initially and turn it on. That's what I do and never have an issue.

Ryan509
06-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. i'll give er a shot tomorrow :)

JAF06SE
06-29-2014, 12:06 AM
When applying a wax or sealant the method of spreading onto the paint that I suggested covers a larger area too. So you can actually put more product on the pad. Spread it on and work to it.

GenesisCoupe
06-29-2014, 12:45 AM
I start with an "X" to prime the pad then just use the 3 penny-dime size dots. I still get little tiny splatter particles. What could i be doing wrong?

All can say whatever they want, but i NEVER do this whole X thing, spread, and then apply dots of product. This would ALWAYS give me splatter and i would have to change pads more frequently.

I put about 4-5 dime sized spots on a dry pad, and give 1 trigger pull of a pad conditioner spray. I never had issues and one pad can last me half a vehicle without problems or cleaning.

When waxing, be at a slow speed. 2-2.5 is my preferrence, but also depends on machine.

Hazcat
06-29-2014, 01:10 AM
Thin is in with wax and sealant. Once the pad is well primed it rarely takes more than another pea sized drop to wax another panel or two if any depending on how well the pad is primed. Remember you're not polishing at this point, just spreading the wax or sealant. Read the label.

BobbyG
06-29-2014, 05:29 AM
Hey Ryan,

It's sounds as if you have too much stuff on the pad and the spread is set too high..

Applying wax or sealants with a dual action polisher is a great way to speed up the process and keeps the product nice and thin. A soft foam pad; gray, blue, or red it perfect for this application and a machine speed setting of 3 is all that's needed.

Priming

Priming the pad is only required when using compounds and polishes to clean or remove finish defects. No need to do any sort of priming when applying wax...

Apply Wax

Let's say I'm using Collinite 845 wax. I squeeze out 5 dime some globs about 3/4 in from the outer edge of the pad. I set the speed setting to 3, place the pad against the finish, then turn it on.

Waxing using this approach is incredibly easy. Apply no downward force at all as the weight of the machine is all that's needed. Move the machine back and forth to ensure complete coverage. The amount of wax I applied is more than enough to do an entire hood and probably a fender depending on their size.

I hope this helps..:props:

Niblick
06-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Hey Ryan,

It's sounds as if you have too much stuff on the pad and the spread is set too high..

Applying wax or sealants with a dual action polisher is a great way to speed up the process and keeps the product nice and thin. A soft foam pad; gray, blue, or red it perfect for this application and a machine speed setting of 3 is all that's needed.

Priming

Priming the pad is only required when using compounds and polishes to clean or remove finish defects. No need to do any sort of priming when applying wax...

Apply Wax

Let's say I'm using Collinite 845 wax. I squeeze out 5 dime some globs about 3/4 in from the outer edge of the pad. I set the speed setting to 3, place the pad against the finish, then turn it on.

Waxing using this approach is incredibly easy. Apply no downward force at all as the weight of the machine is all that's needed. Move the machine back and forth to ensure complete coverage. The amount of wax I applied is more than enough to do an entire hood and probably a fender depending on their size.

I hope this helps..:props:

:iagree::xyxthumbs: