PDA

View Full Version : Using sealant on INSIDE of glass?

conman1395
06-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi guys,
Is it possible to use a sealant on the INSIDE of glass? I'm talking about Blackfire Wet Diamond most specifically. I know something like Klasse AIO cleans really well and provides some acrylic protection. I guess the other question would be: is there any benefit to applying a sealant to the inside of the windows? Like maybe help reduce fogging?

Thanks,
Connor

FUNX650
06-28-2014, 06:35 PM
•I never have used an automotive Sealant (or Wax) on interior auto-glass.
-Doesn't mean it can't be done though.

•Probably the best thing to keep the interior auto-glass from fogging-up is an application of a shaving cream
(I prefer Gillette's Foamy Lime).
-You'll notice that the auto-glass has less "shadow"...
when driving your vehicle home @ 5 o'clock. :)

Bob

beamerstrumpet
06-28-2014, 06:51 PM
I always used to use mothers AIO (otc) on the insides. it cleans and wipes off nice and does not streak. Since using MF glass towels and a few tricks picked up in here, I have not,, but no reason it wouldnt work.

PiPUK
06-29-2014, 03:41 AM
No no no no! Hydrophobic products, like sealants, are the total opposite of antifog coatings. A sealant on the inside will massively increase the problems of fogging or misting. Worse still, many sealants stich to glass better than to paint. This means that, given you have limited access for polishing, you can potentially cause permanent damage. This is a very bad idea. If you want to check, apply some to your shower room mirror.

Bunky
06-29-2014, 05:13 AM
you can potentially cause permanent damage. This is a very bad idea. If you want to check, apply some to your shower room mirror.

How can they cause permanent damage?

PiPUK
06-29-2014, 06:10 AM
How can they cause permanent damage?

Because, in the absence of environment or wipers and without being able to take a machine to it to polish, that sealant can be pretty permanent. So you effectively have a permanent coating which PROMOTES fogging. If you live in a humid region, that fogging could be so bad as to be a major hazard when using the vehicle.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
06-29-2014, 06:22 AM
Because, in the absence of environment or wipers and without being able to take a machine to it to polish, that sealant can be pretty permanent. So you effectively have a permanent coating which PROMOTES fogging. If you live in a humid region, that fogging could be so bad as to be a major hazard when using the vehicle.

He's talking about sealant, not coating. A sealant that can easily be stripped with a Dawn\IPA mixture, or Eraser, etc.

PiPUK
06-29-2014, 06:47 AM
He's talking about sealant, not coating. A sealant that can easily be stripped with a DawnIPA mixture, or Eraser, etc.

I realise this. If you search you will see that I am certain that traditional sealants cannot be stripped this way. This is detailing myth which has been perpetuated with people being confused by beading being removed (temporarily) by a surfactant residue. As above, the adherence of these sealants tends to be stronger with glass than paint. In fact, many glass 'coatings' are based on the same stuff found in paint sealants. Our quick deatiler, which migh last a month on paint, lasts 6 months on glass with wiper action.

Do as you like but I can tell you, as someone who is a professional chemist and automotive chemical manufacturer, that you do not want to be applying hydrophobic products on interior glass.

BillE
06-29-2014, 07:00 AM
I for one would NOT use ANYTHING on the inside. If perchance you wanted (needed) to remove the product...think about the hassle. You can't use a hose for one.

If Mr. PiPUK says it's gonna be a problem...I will follow his advice. He knows of what he speaks.

Just my 2¢...

Bill

Just02896
06-29-2014, 08:09 AM
•I never have used an automotive Sealant (or Wax) on interior auto-glass.
-Doesn't mean it can't be done though.

•Probably the best thing to keep the interior auto-glass from fogging-up is an application of a shaving cream
(I prefer Gillette's Foamy Lime).
-You'll notice that the auto-glass has less "shadow"...
when driving your vehicle home @ 5 o'clock. :)

Bob

This is a great idea considering the fact that it's 5 o'clock somewhere! Lol!

FUNX650
06-29-2014, 09:49 AM
This is a great idea considering the fact that it's 5 o'clock somewhere! Lol!
^^^... :props: ...^^^

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image350.jpg

Bob

beamerstrumpet
06-30-2014, 04:18 AM
Ill Say again,, I have never had any problems with an AIO (non sealant) for the inside,, and I have lived in very humid areas when I did it

AutowerxDetailing
06-30-2014, 04:41 AM
PiPUK is right. Any sort of hydrophobic wax/sealant/coating on interior windows is exactly the opposite of what you would want to reduce fogging. Instead, you need a hydrophilic coating to reduce the potential for any moisture to form microscopic beads (aka fog) on the glass.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using AG Online