PDA

View Full Version : duplicolor headlamp uv coating

99monguse
06-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Anyone try the Duplicolor headlamp kit yet? I won't use the polish, but I am interested in the spray UV coating.

Setec Astronomy
06-28-2014, 05:25 PM
I don't know anything about this, but it can't be any easier than Opti-Lens...I mean if it's a spray, that means masking, overspray, etc.

99monguse
06-28-2014, 11:20 PM
Have you actually used Opti-lens? Whats the longevity of it? I contacted Optimum and they clain life-time, but I expected them to say that. I want actual users to tell me their experiences.

Setec Astronomy
06-28-2014, 11:26 PM
Have you actually used Opti-lens? Whats the longevity of it? I contacted Optimum and they clain life-time, but I expected them to say that. I want actual users to tell me their experiences.

Yes, I've actually used Opti-Lens. It's only been out for what, 14 months? So I can tell you it lasts 14 months. Optimum is not a company prone to hyperbole. The question is, what is a lifetime? Was the factory coating on the headlights a lifetime coating? If it was, it didn't last for your lifetime, it didn't even last the lifetime of the lens.

I doubt Optimum used the term "lifetime", they probably told you that it's a permanent coating. What is the definition of permanent? I'm sure the car mfr. would tell you that the paint on your car is also a "permanent" coating...but I guess if it really was I wouldn't see so many cars with clearcoat failure.

As I said, I don't know nuttin about this Duplicolor product, but I'd trust Dr. G a lot more than Duplicolor. And I know from my own experience that Opti-Lens holds up on lenses a lot better than Opti-Coat (gee, maybe that's the reason Dr. G came up with Opti-Lens).