PDA

View Full Version : Favorite AIO/polish for easy hand application?

Pages : [1] 2

skyavonee
06-28-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm seeking out a new 2-step process to maintain my car's paint. The car is a black Miata; it's my daily driver, and I park in a dusty carport. I won't bother investing in a DA until I have a clean, well-lit garage to work in. In the meantime, I'm looking for products that are easy to use by hand.

I'm already sold on BFWD for my 2nd step. For the 1st step, I'm looking for an AIO or polish that will clean the paint and reduce swirl marks.

What is your favorite product for my situation, and which applicator do you recommend?

BFTPS is an obvious option, but its directions leave me wondering if there are better alternatives for hand application.

inDetail
06-28-2014, 11:34 AM
An AIO will have protection in it. The BFWD may affect it since it's solvent based may cause failure of the protection from the AIO which are usually polymer based.
I know Autoglym SRP will not be affected by a solvent based sealant since it's resin based instead of a polymer and the Autoglym topper they make for the SRP is solvent based.
It's a good AIO for hand application but it does flash fast so you will need to work in small areas to be able to work the polish. I would suggest a Orange LC foam hand applicator on softer paints.
My other AIO that I love that might work for you even though I never used it by hand is Menzerna FAJ. ( It is not in there current line up but you can still buy it online. It has really good cut for a AIO.
Look into Prime Strong AIO it has good cutting ability. You will need to check and see if it can be applied by hand. I plan on picking it up when my FAJ runs out.
The other option is to go with a paintwork cleanser then the BFWD over the top. A really user friendly cleanser is P21s. It's a little pricey considering the size of the bottle you get but a little goes a long way, however you always end up using more product when you are working by hand. It's easy to use by hand and gives great results. It would not be affected by any sealant or wax you use.

MattPersman
06-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Auto finesse triple

FUNX650
06-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Any of these Meguiar's AIOs:
-A12 Cleaner Wax
-G61 White Wax
-G62 Black Wax

Bob

PA DETAILER
06-28-2014, 11:57 AM
IDK? I have used BF TP&S by hand before. As a 1-step. Turned out great. No issues. It is a unique product. As it dissappears into the paint.

aim4squirrels
06-28-2014, 12:34 PM
You'll probably have minimal luck getting swirls out by hand with an AIO, but there are some good ones at filling in swirls. Bob's recommendation of Meguiars cleaner wax is a good one for that. I personally like Klasse AIO as it's pretty easy to remove and the white residue that most all AIO products leave behind seems to be easier to work out of the nooks and crannies with Klasse than some others I've tried.

KAIO leaves minimal protection behind, and was designed to be topped with Klasse HGSG. So if you add a sealant to the top of it, it's not bonding a sealant to an undercoat of wax as it may in a cleaner wax scenario.

nubaseal
06-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Dg 501

silverfox
06-28-2014, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't bother with an AIO if you're topping it with a sealant. Go with a glaze that fills and plays well with sealants like poorboys black hole or prima amigo.

Trying to use a polish of any kind by hand is futile especially on black.

skyavonee
06-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Great feedback so far! :cheers:

PA DETAILER
06-28-2014, 03:06 PM
As for polish/glaze, Prima amigo provided great results for me by hand. Then i followed with prima hydro max.

skyavonee
06-28-2014, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't bother with an AIO if you're topping it with a sealant. Go with a glaze that fills and plays well with sealants like poorboys black hole or prima amigo.

I'm starting to think I'll go this route. I can do a glaze + sealant every 4-6 months myself, and then just pay a professional to do a clay + polish every 12-18 months.

TundraPower
06-28-2014, 06:35 PM
I'm seeking out a new 2-step process to maintain my car's paint. The car is a black Miata; it's my daily driver, and I park in a dusty carport. I won't bother investing in a DA until I have a clean, well-lit garage to work in. In the meantime, I'm looking for products that are easy to use by hand. I'm already sold on BFWD for my 2nd step. For the 1st step, I'm looking for an AIO or polish that will clean the paint and reduce swirl marks. What is your favorite product for my situation, and which applicator do you recommend? BFTPS is an obvious option, but its directions leave me wondering if there are better alternatives for hand application.

Do not use these products with a machine. By hand only.

#1. Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Regular. Not a particularly user friendly product but definitely the best. I use it exclusively for delicate paints and to prep paint for wax. $165 per liter.

#2. Auto Finesse Tripple. The best AIO I've used in very long time. The protection part of the AIO is weak though, definitely follow up with wax of your choice. $20 per 16 oz. Just a killer value.

beamerstrumpet
06-28-2014, 07:36 PM
you can try HD Speed. Hand friendly, correction (though by hand its notgonna show much) seal and shine. its great stuff also.

VISITOR
06-28-2014, 10:03 PM
^ from what i gather, hd speed is a combination of both hd polish and poxy (don't know the percentage of each). which are both great products...

dlc95
06-29-2014, 10:53 AM
I've always liked Meguiars ColorX, topped with NXT, or TW Ice Paste. Like Bob said, most of these cleaner waxes by Meguiars are great. The White Wax is another one I like.